Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shawna
Newbie October 2020 British Columbia

Picking a date

Shawna, on September 18, 2018 at 19:43 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
So Im trying to pick a date... harder then I thought. I went to my local farm and saw these pretty pumpkins with flowers inside for Center peices now I’m thinking of a thanksgiving wedding. But the groom isn’t so sure. Anyone have/had a thanksgiving wedding? Pros? Cons?

Picking a date 1

7 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on September 19, 2018 at 15:10
  • Amanda
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning a thanksgiving weekend. We have weighed out the pros and cons and are still aiming for that weekend. Plus sides... everyone is together for the weekend (both families), easy menu decision!, it is a long weekend giving out of town guests lots of travel time and easy decor options. Some cons are... people can decline due to other obligations, harder time booking vendors (im already starting to look into & book, wedding is in 2 years). Happy planning!
  • Shawna
    Newbie October 2020 British Columbia
    Shawna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for everyone’s opinions! It really helped and made it more clear on why it isn’t a good idea we are going with the weekend after. And I’m still going to have all my ideas just a different day ❤️
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We really wanted a fall wedding and planned our date around thanksgiving. My side of the family goes up north thanksgiving weekend and FH loves it because he gets to fish all weekend. So we didn’t want to give up that tradition.
    This way our wedding will be on the 4th of October next year, and thanksgiving weekend will be a little mini honeymoon for us.
    i think it really depends what your family has planned for holidays. And also whether or not venues charge extra for a holiday weekend
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there a reason you want thanksgiving? Those centrepieces can be for any day in the fall!

I did go to a thanksgiving wedding once. It was fairly well attended. Most people have their family dinners Sunday or Monday so unless they have to travel, they should be available Friday or Saturday. If you do it on that weekend, be prepared for people to not come because there are people that have their long weekends planned out. But, I think if you give enough time, some people will change their traditions for one year.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My date is two weeks after Tori (the 19th) for very similar reasons:

1. Some people have thanksgiving plans Sunday/Monday so didn't want to risk people not coming/leaving early to make plans

2. I didn't want my wedding to have thanksgiving/holiday fees. I don't know if people have had experience with venues/vendors charging extra for working during/near/on holidays.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is one of the main reasons that I went with my date. I will be getting married on the 5th of October 2019 when Thanksgiving is on the 14th of that year. I wanted a fall wedding so that the farmers in my family could come to the wedding so I wasn't about to put it on Thanksgiving and take them from something else instead.

Although you can bet that the most important people in your life will make an effort and still come - you run the risk of friends and family not coming as they may have Thanksgiving traditions that you may not have as such a big deal. (For example - I think that New Years, Valentines, St. Patty's, Canada day and a couple others are fine, but wouldn't appreciate being pulled away from plans on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and my birthday Smiley tongue)

Plus even though October is an off season for most wedding venues - you will probably end up paying regular price if not more as that would possibly be holiday pay or long weekend pay.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know of a couple having a thanksgiving wedding and they're running the risk of people being unavailable to attend their wedding due to the holiday.

Would you consider having your wedding the weekend after thanksgiving?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics