Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Candice
Newbie September 2020 Ontario

Photographers

Candice, on September 27, 2018 at 09:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23
How many hours is it best to have a photographer around for? 5? 7? 9? 12?
And is 2 necessary or do people find 1 is adequate?
Opinions please!!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Meagan, on October 1, 2018 at 22:00
  • Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All comes down to you! I made sure I could find a photographer with unlimited coverage day of since I want someone with us every step of the way! I also went with a second shooter to be able to capture every moment of both my fiancé and myself getting ready, and to get a variety of angles during the ceremony and reception.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends what you want. We had our photographers for ten hours. Got some getting ready, the ceremony, formals, dinner, speeches, part of the dance. The ceremony and formals are really the ones I’m looking forward to though.

We had two photographers but we also didn’t do a first look so I wanted the reaction of each of us seeing each other for the first time down the aisle. Most photographers are able to capture everything on their own, just less options as far as angles and distance.

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 1 for 5 hours.
    She's getting our getting ready photos at 9am, ceremony at 11am and leaving at 2pm.
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How big is your guest list? Mine is looking at 80 guests, and one photographer is enough for an all day thing. I’m looking at 8-10 hours, but I did an “all day package” to be covered. Time out when your ceremony begins and when your evening ends. That will be important and work in the “getting ready” pictures if you want those. Again, think about your guest list size and you’ll know if you need more than one photographer or not
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with others who have said that it all depends on what you want from your photographer. We're having 2 photographers (one for 8 hours, and one for 4 of those 8 hours) who will be taking our staged pictures pre-ceremony, our ceremony, our cocktail hour, and anything from the reception leading up to 10pm.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on what you want captured. We are having 8 hours which will take us from the “getting ready” photos up till the bouquet/garter toss. We wanted our photographer to be there for later cause we want sone nighttime photos.
    We wanted 2 photographers because we liked the idea that one would focus on me during the ceremony and while getting ready and one would focus on him so we wouldn’t miss things. We also liked it so one could come with us to get our photos done during cocktail hour and one would get candid guest shots and detail shots as well!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It totally depends on your day plan. I shorted our hours, and I'm going to have to extend them a bit. We only have 100 guests, so we went with one photographer.

She'll be meeting up with wherever I am getting ready, probably around 1. We are doing our "first look" and photos at 2pm, with the ceremony at 4.30pm, going straight into the reception. We figure everything that needs to photographed (dances, speeches, cake cutting, etc), will be done by about 8pm, so we'll probably have her for 8 hours (1 - 9 pm, so she has time to get a few "party" photos).

• Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 2 just not for the whole day. Our main photographer is for 12 hours and the second is for 5 hours to help cover 1st look, family pictures and ceremony.
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My one photographer was awesome and I had her all day so roughly 9 or so hours, definitely worth it!
  • A
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Adele ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having two for the morning (one for grooms place getting ready with groomsmen and one for brides place getting ready with bridesmaids) then they will both be at the ceremony to take different angles and at the beginning of the reception until the first dance. Then one photogroaher will leave and the other will stay to almost the end.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well depends on what time your day starts & if you want them there for when you get your hair done. I set mine for 12 h, n I get two people. More the better bc they can capture the picture from two angles and getting my emotion and my FH. Do whichever works in your budget.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I will be having a photographer for the entire evening - I would think that 8 hours is sufficient...

I will be having only one photographer and if I did have a time limit I would say that since the ceremony will be at 6ish and supper following, with pictures before (first look) starting at like 4 and getting ready at 2:30/3.... 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 = 8 hours.

We will get ready, take pics, ceremony, straight into first dance, supper, followed by cake cutting and that's about all I will NEED photographed but like I said - I will have unlimited time.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer will be with us from morning till we feel done later that night. No set time limit. For the ceremony we will have 2 photographer then the rest will just be her and her assistant.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing 12 hours! 2 photographers and 1 video! I wanted EVERYTHING from getting ready till wee drunken hours of the morning!!!
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had one photographer for 10 hours and I think we were good with that ! The only thing that we might have missed out on were some getting ready pictures as the us girls got ready almost an hour away from location . But she was able to grab a few on her way, these weren't as important to me so it didn't bother me.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having 2 photographers, one for 8 hours and one for 12. We wanted our photographers to catch the little moments while both of us are getting ready and be able to get the different angled shots during the ceremony, etc. One photographer will leave at dinner and the other will stay and capture the speeches, first dances and some party photos.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Usually 8-10 hours is needed to capture the whole day (from getting ready to the start of dancing). Ours is booked for 8 hours right now but we can add hours for extra $$ if needed at the end. We are having 2 so we can get different angles and both my FH's and mine's reactions as I walk down the aisle. However, the second shooter will leave after the formal photos before dinner so we save a plate. Our main photographer will stay half an hour after the first dance to get some "party is starting" shots but we might go for an extra hour at the end. We're not doing a lot of getting ready shots, just half an hour before and one of them will get the ceremony spot before the guests come in.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally am for 2 photographers. just because you can get a different photo perspective. and during group photos. one can capture your wedding party. while the other does couple photos.

the hours depends on what you want them for. you want to be VERY careful about timing in terms of reception. things may run late. and I've heard too many horror stories where the photographers time is up and they haven't captured the first dance or they ask the bride for more money. if you don't care as much about the getting ready photos. you could have them there just as you are putting on your dress.

• J
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Judy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll recommend to have one photographer and one videographer for your wedding day. IMO, it requires at least 6 hours. If you have a wedding planner, you'd better to contact the person to discuss. If not, you can try to contact my previous wedding studio for some basic information.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on you, and what is important to you to have photographed. The more events (getting ready, first look, portraits, ceremony, family pictures, reception) you want pictures of, the longer you need the photographer for. For me, it's 10 hours - 1 hour getting ready, 30 minutes first look, 2.5 hours portraits, 1.5 hours ceremony, 1 hour family pictures, 3.5 hours reception - details, speeches, first dance, cake cutting, and some partying). Figure out your day of timeline and what is important for you to capture.

One or two photographers is also a personal choice. Two is great as they can capture things from different angles, but it does also increase your cost a fair bit. Personally, we went with one - we also have several friends who are professional photographers, so we know they'll capture images from other angles.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Timing depend on how many hours are required for your day starting with getting ready and family photos. If you pay the photographer and they bring a 2nd person for your day, you're in luck for that price.

I had my photographer and videographer for 11 hours starting with the details of clothing to accessoires for the wedding and reception and leading into getting ready and family photos. The rest was taken into action as needed from their own. I was fortunate to have 2 photographers to have different angles at times.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you want getting ready photos of both of you and you want lots of detail shots of your dress and rings etc then ya 2 photographers is probably needed to realistically get all the photos you want. Time depends on your timeline for the day. If you don't have a general day of timeline yet (getting ready, ceremony, reception start times) then I think 8-10 hrs is usually a good guess if you want full day coverage but ask if it's possible to adjust this need later on once you get a better idea of the timeline or ask what the options are if you decide you need more time closer to the day. Usually they will bill you by the hour for extra time if you go over but it's not crazy.

We have 2: so 1 will be with the guys and the other with us. While we start getting ready they will be taking all the details and then the second photographer will bring rings and anything else over to the guys where they are getting ready. We have photographers for the "whole day" (probably end up being around 8-10 hrs). They will only need to be there from around the last hour of getting ready till maybe 30 min after the dancing starts.
  • Candice
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And by 2 I mean number of photographers 😅

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics