Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meghan
Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador

Parents dances

Meghan, on March 20, 2018 at 07:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16
Has anyone had their father daughter dance at the same time as the mother son one? I was thinking about doing it this way so it’s not so long for the guests but I’m stuck on what song to use!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 17, 2018 at 11:42
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My mum started dating my step-dad when I was 18. I usually just refer to him as my mum's boyfriend or partner when talking about him but it's easier to say step-dad on here lol. I chose to dance with my mum as she is my mum, good friend and the one who walked me down the aisle. I think you can totally both do mother/child dances instead. We did ours at the same time to save time and also to only have to find one song. I would talk it over with your mum maybe. If your dad is still in the picture, maybe you can share the dance between both your dad and step-dad?

• Alessia
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Alessia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's not a bad idea... it definitely kills two birds with one stone... Good idea!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m in the same boat as you, also wondering about this. I asked my mom recently if she wanted to dance with me or if my stepdad should and she said him. So I’ll dance with my stepdad even though I am closer with my mom I still love him and don’t want to offend him.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Without prying too much, can I ask how you decided to dance with your mom? I was raised by my mom and stepdad, but I’m really not close to my stepdad and am not looking fwd to the typical “daddy-daughter” things that are part of weddings. My FH has a good relationship with his parents so I can’t really take the “mother-son” dance away from them. Any advice?
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea! I had just been thinking about doing it the other day! But, I can't think of a good song for both (I just have ideas for the father/daughter dance). You could also just choose a song you like and just have the instrumental version playing.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was just considering this yesterday! Thanks for bringing it up. My dad is really nervous about dancing so I think adding the Mother-in-law dance at the same time would ease some of his worry Smiley smile
  • Julie-Ann
    Curious February 2018 Ontario
    Julie-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly what we did as well. It worked out great!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen this done before and love it!! It's great for your guests to keep things moving Smiley smile

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We doing a father/daughter dance. Halfway through, my FH and FMIL will be joining us for their part of the dance.

My FMIL is not one to be center of attention so we know she will love this option.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen it, and I think it can be REALLY nice to be honest (I suck at song choices too to be honest. I recommend just browsing YouTube and googling ideas as that's what I've done so far).

I'm not doing it, as I've asked my Mom and Dad to both walk me down the aisle. My parents are divorced and while they tolerate each other NOW (After 18 years of constant fighting), I was still really surprised my dad was okay with sharing that tradition. I can't fathom asking him to share this other special moment.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was considering doing this but my fiance doesn't want to do the mother son dance. I think his mom will be a little disappointed but my fiance is really against it. But if she manages to change his mind we'll do them together.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've seen it done but my dad is set on having a song that only applies to father/daughter and my fiancé's mom wants her own dance. So it absolutely depends on the parents
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen it done! If it's suitable for the reception and everyone agrees on doing it that way, why not go ahead and combine them? Smiley smile

I'm not good for advice on song choice because I suck at that lol.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I both danced with our mothers at the same time to Small Bump by Ed Sheeran.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yea I have seen it, all depends if the parents are okay with it and didn't have special songs they wanted to dance to you that would be different!

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me too! I was planning separate ones but I know my FH isn’t looking forward to it so I thought it would be better to combine them so the focus isn’t solely on him (which freaks him out). Then half way through Th song we might have my FH tap my dad on the shoulder and take over while our parents then finish the dance together. I.e. my dad with my mom, FH’s Mom with his dad. Then wedding party cane join in. Etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics