Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

Outdoor Photo Shoot Advice

Megis, on July 3, 2018 at 17:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

So I'm trying to decide if I need an outdoor photo shoot location. I would love nature elements for our wedding photos. Need advice on what to look out for during the shoot from bride who've done this or know someone who has.

What's the experience like?

This will be at the beginning of August. Also worried about the train for my dress

11 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on July 5, 2018 at 03:07
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe try bustling your dress? Or when moving to different photo locations have someone carry your train for you and then lightly set it down. Either way you will probably get little dirt on your dress. And if you have the opportunity, scout out your location for perfect photo spots, so then on the day you can quickly go to each area you know you love and not have to spend time looking for good places Smiley smile oh and also take into consideration sun positioning during your pictures, we are taking ours on broad day light, and during sunset!
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have not had wedding photos outside, but I had my engagement photos outside. I would suggest even with a professional photographer keep your eyes open for things you do not want in your shots. Also have someone to check your hair and to make sure everything looks good. In one of our engagement photos my fiancé looks like the leather leash is right near his crotch for one of our dogs. Also a lovely photo near a building with vines has these basement windows that are ugly and reflect.

I agree to to keep the location close and just keep an eye that it doesn’t look like you have a tree growing out of your head. Also if the bugs are out then don’t forget the bug spray.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep it close to where your having your ceremony to not loose too much time to travelling. Your photographer will also know some tips and tricks to help minimize the amount of dirt and scuffing to the bottom of the dress.

Also, no one will be looking at the bottom of your dress at the reception so don't obsess over it too much. I wouldn't go running through mud puddles but if it gets a little dirty on the bottom edges no one is going to notice or care.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is exactly why you hired a professional photographer! They should be able to help you determine locations to capture the look you want. In terms of worrying about your dress getting dirty, don't! It is inevitable that it is going to get dirty from being on the ground, it will most likely not even be noticeable in your photos and if it is, your photographer can photoshop it out Smiley smile

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The best thing to do would be to talk to your photographer, they should know of places that you can go and have plenty of tips for you! That's what they are there for Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Outdoor photos are great, arty and have wonderful light. We had all of our wedding pictures outdoors pretty much. The train of your dress will get dirty no matter what but your photos are taken early before it gets really dirty.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Outdoors pictures are perfect for the natural sunlight. I had group pictures and huge family ones taken too.

The only suggest i would give is to have a little stitching done for your pinky finger to hold and carry your dress if concerned about getting it dirty.

In any case, the grounds should be ok if their is grass for the most part and look for the open space and scenery to bring out that part of nature.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The dress is going to get dirty, even indoors. For some reason, dresses seem to attract any piece of dust or dirt within a 5 mile radius! Talk to your photographer as well. They should be offering suggestions as to where to go. Let them know your concerns and maybe they can find a place without too much dirt and grass.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend said she brought a large sheet/blanket, and put it down anywhere the dress would get more dirty, and then they just concealed it under the dress for photos.

Personally I love the outdoor photos, if you get the lighting right.

We are getting married mid-January, so it will most likely be rain and/or mud... So we need Plan A, B and C....

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not the biggest fan of outdoors photos but were doing the engagement shots in a more industrial area so I think a small part adds a bit of life to wedding photos! Maybe try to find a park with house or gold club attached so you'll have areas to stand aside from right in the dirt/grass!
    Were going to a place called the Riverwood Conservancy in Mississauga Ontario! Have a look itll get what I mean across! Lots of trees and flowers but then paved roads and paths around the main building so we dont get dirty!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you considered bustling your dress for the photoshoot? I think the dresses will get a little dirty no matter what if you're taking it outside into nature.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics