Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

Out of country invites?

Lydia, on December 8, 2017 at 16:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hi!

My fiancé and I are going to get married on June 30th 2019, so quite some time to go till our wedding. We're already looking at venues, actually got one appointment this weekend (yay!) since we already ran into one venue being booked for our date (crazy how far ahead that goes!)
We sorta wanna sort things out ahead of time since both of us have been living in Canada for 3.5 years and we want to get married here. But since we moved here on our own, most of our family lives in Europe.
Since it's quite expensive to come over we wanna send invites far ahead. My fiancé is saying to send off the invitations a bit over a year ahead of time (would also save them a lot of money if they'd book tickets early). But is this too early? Most people already sorta saw a save the date on Facebook and we won't send out cards for that, but for actual invites what would be a good time if they gotta come from that far? And won't the risk be of forgetting about it if it's a year ahead? When would be good to say an RSVP date?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Hollie, on February 1, 2018 at 21:14
  • Hollie
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Hollie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do about 6 to 8 months ahead that is what I am doing for my out of area guests in the states and across Canada. Another good thing you could do as well is maybe the ones you have on Facebook personally invite with a quick message so they are aware they are invited. You can also call, or find a different way to contact the others that do not have Facebook so they know as well. Then send out the actual invitations around 6 to 8 months.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend is getting married in Germany this summer (July 2018). She sent out Save the Dates through email as soon as they had the venue booked. She's heard back from quite a few relatives and friends saying they've already booked flights etc... so she's planning to send out invites around April.

I guess it depends if there are any older relatives that wouldn't see your Facebook save the date, or someone who doesn't have social media. Just make sure to give them a quick call/email and I would send them a little later.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depending if visas are needed for travel tp Canada, 7 months sounds fair. The family can get all their documents can be taken care at their end. RSVP should be 2 months prior to the day.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married November 2019 and all my extended family is in England so I’m sending all my Save the Dates out as soon as we officially book our date with the venue. That way everyone has just under two years to save up. It’s an expensive trip. I’ll be then sending invitations out somewhere between 6-8 months before hand so I can get answers in from my overseas people.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Lydia!!

I am from the GTA and my fiance is from Chicago; we met at school in Michigan and I live in Ottawa. He also has family in Arizona, California, and Colorado. This being said we are sending invites all over the place!!

For us, we were thinking a year in advance for save the dates and 2/3 months for invitations. Its less about booking trips (although it is important to book early-ish to save money), and more about ensuring proper travel documentation! We have some friends who still don't have passports, which can take up to 6 months. My fiance is an immigration attorney, and he's confident this is plenty of time. From my immigration law class in law school, I'm fairly certain it should be a similar process to the US in Europe, so I think a year would be OK. I think anything over a year might be overkill.

This being said, I do think you should send out a formal save the date. Invitations typically dont go out until a few months before the wedding here; I dont know if tradition is different in Europe, so people might expect something different, but for us we figured the save the dates are sufficient to let people know they should get their ducks in a row (because everyone who gets a save the date knows theyre getting an invitation anyway).

Hope this helps Smiley smile

Tori

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the replies Smiley heart! It's really helpful
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to send save the dates out a year in advance, but we only got engaged nine months before our wedding date (we actually had our wedding date set before we were engaged!) We ended up giving eight and a half months notice.

Some people will need to submit vacation days for work by a certain time, which is why I wanted them out. My friend had to have her days in to work by the end of November.

We are doing our invites about 4 months before the wedding. And, we will have them RSVP by 2 months before. That gives us about a month and a half to chase people who don't RSVP and to finalize numbers for our caterer.

Since your guests are coming from a distance, I would suggest doing Save the Dates now, and then about 4-6 months prior do the invitations. That way, they get a "reminder" and it will still give the procrastinators enough time to book flights and arrange for a place to stay.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a year is a good idea.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So, my family and many friends live in Europe, where I am from. Our wedding is late July and we will be sending out the invitations in January, exactly for that reason.

However, if you let them know in advance by FaceTime/Skype/phone etc , then 4-5 months prior to the wedding date is good enough I think.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Coming from another bride who is also having a potentially large number of out-of-town guests, we’re planning to send out Save The Date at least a year in advance just to be sure people know it’s coming lol
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For ours we don't have too many out of town people attending the wedding but those that are, we kindly sent out an email to inform them that they are invited and the date the wedding would be happening. Everyone out of town are mainly family or friends of the fiance's side so that was our little save the date.

other than that we told everyone either in person or over the phone. Save money in that sense and we will be sending out invitations about 8-7 months in advance.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out save the dates to everyone on our guest list through email one year in advance. That way people knew they were invited and could save up for travel, but didnt have to rsvp that far in advance.
    We will be sending out our invitations in February (6months before the wedding) so by then people will hopefully have a better idea if they can make it or not. Will likely give 1 months for rsvp. Which will give us lots of time to track down those that dont rsvp on time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics