Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alyssa
Newbie August 2022 British Columbia

Opinions on post wedding Bbq/potluck party

Alyssa, on July 24, 2018 at 15:30 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
My fiancé and I have fallen in love with Bear mountain and want to have our wedding there, but after calculating the catering fees there’s no way we could accommodate the amount of guests we currently have. Would be strange or viewed at rude if we just had a selected few for the wedding at bear mountain and then had a large BBQ/potluck party a few days after where everyone else we’d like to see can come to?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Alyssa, on July 28, 2018 at 11:50
  • Alyssa
    Newbie August 2022 British Columbia
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very true, definitely going to stick with this plan now Smiley smile Thanks for the feedback Brittany and everyone else that’s replied
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it would be rude as long as your initial guestlist is small enough for people to understand! At the end of the day those that love and support your will be okay with any decisions you make Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you keep the guest list small enough then no one will feel too left out or offended. You could also have another small mock ceremony at the reception if you want.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There probably will be some people who will be offended or who will feel left out that they weren't at the ceremony. I think if you do family (or even just immediate family) only, people will be more understanding. I also think it's great that you are planning a separate meal for them. That's where it gets dicey is when people invite friends for the dance only. But, it sounds like you are planning a whole other reception, which includes dinner.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Brittany - just make sure that your guest list isn't too big or people will look at it as why them and not me? I would stick to your immediate family (parents, siblings, grandparents, and select close friends). It should come out to roughly 25-30 people.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's strange... quite a few people do it... But it's doing it tactfully and finding other ways to make your "party-only" guests feel special. (Showing a video of the ceremony, or have your photographer do a couple dozen quick edits to show)

Make sure the "small" wedding on Bear Mountain is truly small... because if people find out its 50+ people or whatever, they start getting more offended than if it's just immediate family and close friends.

It can be nice too, to have an intimate ceremony/dinner, and then have more of a party atmosphere for the post-wedding reception, especially when you're able to do more for your guests at a more casual reception, than having to really cut the guest list to do the whole thing on Bear Mountain.

It's beautiful up there, great choice! Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics