Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Frequent user November 2019 Ontario

One stop shop venue?

Melissa, on February 6, 2018 at 12:46 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 52

Just curious on how many people are having their ceremony and reception at the same venue? Is it too much to ask guests to drive to one venue and then ask them to drive another 40 minute to the reception?

52 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on March 22, 2018 at 21:11
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Victoria! Appreciate your input.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for sharing Lyla! I'm still trying to figure out what guests will do in the time gap as well.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your feedback Stacey! Smiley smile

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything will be at the same venue for us, but I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Especially if there is a reasonable amount of time in between.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately my fiancé and I hadn’t thought of it before everything was set in stone. Our ceremony is 15 on one side of town and the reception is 15 minutes on the otherside.. We are having a 4 hour space for photos, travel, and “us time” between the ceremony and reception so realistically people would want to drive into town for awhile anyways.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds perfect!! Best of luck!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is very convenient having the ceremony and the reception at the same location but it is not always realistic. I don't think it is absolutely the worst thing to ask your guests to drive 40 minutes to a separate location. I went to a wedding once where there was 4 hours in between, that was brutal. unless you lived in the area it was a hassle-which luckily we did.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Candace, I actually stumbled across a venue that's within 15 mins from the ceremony venue. I'm hoping it works out!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Danielle, appreciate your input!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Jessica, I'm looking at a venue that's within 15 minutes of the ceremony venue now, so hopefully it works out!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the input Candice, that relieves some of my worries. Every wedding I've been to has been all at one venue!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Michelle, I've decided we will most likely be choosing two venues, I'm just worried on what guests will do between the end of the ceremony and the beginning of the reception.. Any thoughts?

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our ceremony and reception in the same place, we also have the hotel and restaurant on site as well so everything is literally a one stop shop for us and our guests. They can check in the day of the wedding and not leave the property until after brunch the next morning.

I would keep in mind what time you are having your ceremony end at if they have to travel to a different venue. If it is during rush hour then it may take longer than 40 minutes and then it might be a little excessive. I think the farthest we have driven between venues is 20ish minutes.

• Danielle
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding ceremony and reception will be at the same location because it's easier for me. I don't think wedding guests care either way because they are there to support you and your hubby!

• Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think It's bad, as long as you don't leave a huge break in between the ceremony and the reception because I think it hurts the flow and excitement. I have gone with a venue that can do ceremony and reception (and rooms for guests) all at one location because that is what I wanted! But everyone is different. If you love both venues....go for it! It's your day! 40 mins isn't that long!

• Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having everything at one venue, because it works out. My brother had his Ceremony at one spot and everyone had to drive 45 min to the reception. No one had an issue with this, and honestly even with 4 kids it wasn't an issue.

• Michelle
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding's ceremony and reception will be at the same venue because our venue offered EVERYTHING that we wanted and simplified our lives (haha!).

That being said, I don't think people mind driving from one venue to another as I haven't really been bothered by it in the past. It's a 'mini break' that people can takeSmiley heart .

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, ideally I would like it to be in one place so we don't have to be driving around and rushed either, just haven't found anywhere I love yet which is why I'm considering two separate venues.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds beautiful Holly! Hopefully I get just as lucky!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had everything in one place. Mostly because we didn't want to drive ourselves all over the place, lol.

As far as travelling between venues goes, I suppose it depends on how much time there is between the ceremony and reception. If there's enough time to make the drive without feeling rushed, I don't suppose I would mind. But then, I live in a rural area where everything is a 40 minute drive, so it's all relative!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue is about an hour away from where almost all our guests live so we are very thankful its the ceremony and reception site. The main barn doors open and it's just the ceremony, there us a backdoor for the reception where my bridesmaids and I will be while we wait for the ceremony to begin. For the reception the large barn doors open into the reception side making it easily accessible to the guest to just walk over and find their seat.
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you Sarah! Appreciate your thoughts and encouragement on doing what we love!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you for sharing Stephanie, I'm hoping to luck out and find a venue I love both spaces like you did!

• Sarah
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think both in same location is great (that's what we are doing and if it rains then the reception hall will be turned into the ceremony before hand). But if not, it's normal to have to drive. I think 40 mins is a bit long, but then again sometimes that could be going from one end of a city to the other.
    If you really love it, just do it.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were originally looking at having the ceremony at our church and the reception at a hotel, which could've been a 40-minute drive, depending which one we liked best. However, went to another location where they had a ceremony space and completely fell in love with it! I knew I could not forget this venue, so we went with it.

I don't think it's too much to ask guests to drive between the ceremony and reception. There is usually a gap between them anyway. Most weddings I've been to, we have had to drive to another location for the reception.

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestion Rebecca! I'll definitely check it out!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Bianca, this is off topic, however, I noticed you said you preferred an outdoor space for your ceremony. Does your venue have an alternate space if the weather doesn't cooperate? That is to this day, my biggest fear. I would love an outdoor space but fear with my luck the weather will be disastrous on my wedding day.

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Potentially ! But if you fall in love with a ceremony area or a reception area... go with it ! There’s so many places out there, when you feel one is perfect.. I’d say not to pass it up! I’m getting married at Hazelton manor.. they have a beautiful ceremony area and the reception room is a great size. Take a look !!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good luck! In the end what matter most is that you and your FH are happy with your decisions. We just booked our venue and will be booking our ceremony space tomorrow. We could have done a “one stop” place but that meant we would have been married indoors (which I DON’T want). The ceremony space is actually my favourite part about the entire wedding now ☺️
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for your input Amelia, I'm going to keep searching!

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I priced out having seperate locations and looked at all the best options and finally decided to have everything in 1 location.
    Its your day, im sure your guests will be fine with travelling the distance for a free party. But maybe you could find something closer for the reception?
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Bianca! See I would feel more comfortable if it were a 20 minute drive. 40 may be asking too much of our guests. I think I'll keep looking, thanks again!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics