Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karlie
Newbie October 2018 Ontario

Omg. help.

Karlie, on October 25, 2016 at 21:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

I honestly don't even know where to start.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Maly, on October 26, 2016 at 23:22
  • Maly
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When and *where Sorry
  • Maly
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aww. Don't worry girl!! We are all here to help! When and she do you want to get married? Start with that, then figure out a budget to get the ball rolling.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Karlie! Welcome to the community! This is defintely the right place to ask questions to get help from other future brides and grooms.

To start I would figure out a wedding date or an approximate month and then come up with a budget that you are your fiance are comfortable spending on your special day! This would also include a rough guest list so you can get estimates from different reception halls and I would give them the max number of guests you are thinking about having so you can be given the highest cost possible and then go from there and play around with numbers and lower it or go higher if you wish.

I think the next important step is finding a venue as they are usually booked a year (sometimes more) in advance. When it comes to picking a reception hall I think it comes down to having a wedding you want. Some venues might not have certain things you want offered... for example a lot of people get a reception hall but need to provide their own catering or alcohol. For me I wanted to have a hall that provides all of that for me so I didn't have to go out and find more vendors! Also the hall I chose, all decorations are included in the total cost of the venue. Again for me I don't want the added stress of having to go out and get different linens and chair covers and decorations for the hall especially because I am having a bigger wedding. So I think finding a hall that provides what you want or need for your wedding is important as well! My fiance and I went to 10 different halls to see what each one had to offer and to pick one that we both agreed on to suit what our wedding was going to be like and stil fit our budget.

The next step would be finding a photographer and a dj - again you want to make sure you have the bigger things booked as they get booked fairly quickly. If you are looking for your own catering I would start looking into that as well.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Karlie, welcome to the community! First, take a deep breath! The best way to tackle this is to break down what you have to do in a managable list. The one on Wedding Wire (with a few personal tweeks) is a GREAT jumping off point!

Like Melissa said, start with budget! If you are getting any help (financially), do not count on any money you don't have in hand! It sounds horrible and you will say, omg my family would never do that to me... but it ABSOLUTELY can happen (my parents are currently doing it to me). So if you were relying on that money and already have things booked counting on it and then the money doesn't come through, you are inevitably responsible for those expenses, and starting your marriage in wedding debt is not an ideal start!

Next you'll want to do a mock guest list, just a very rough idea of how many guests you want/can afford to have. You'll need a rough number when looking for venues as most have minimum/maximum numbers of guests allowed.

Then start looking for your venue!

Remember to enjoy the ride and don't let it stress you out (not too much at leastSmiley winking )

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Karlie!Smiley flower

Welcome to the best place for brides who have no idea what they are doing! This is a great place to bounce ideas around and make plans Smiley smile

As a starting point I might suggest considering an approximate budget- what is the most you want to spend, and what number would be ideal to spend? Also make a guest list- dones't ahve to be perfect right now, just give yourself an idea of numbers....

Maybe share with us what you imagine your wedding to look like, and we can help you decide steps to get there!

Don't fret- we are here for you!Smiley winking

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Tiffany Smiley heart Welcome to the community as well!!

You've done quite a bit already, you're definitely on the right track! Smiley smile Besides your guest list and wedding date, there are also two things you can start thinking about:

1 - What type of ceremony do you want? Will it be civil, religious or symbolic?

This will help you find out which papers you need if you want to get legally married:

How to Get a Marriage License in British Columbia

2 - And make an approximate budget

I can't wait to see your save the dates!! What date did you choose for your wedding? How long have you been engaged? Smiley love

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Karlie Smiley heart Welcome to the community!!

You definitely came to the right place! We're all here to help!! Smiley winking I can totally understand how this must be so much information to go through!

Did you just recently get engaged?

I created these discussions in the community to help you get started. Just tell me where you're at and I'll give you more ideas Smiley smile

How To Start Planning Your Wedding

5 Things To Do As Soon As You're Engaged

Any question, doubt or just share the fun, we're always here! I can't wait to hear what you have in mind for your wedding!

Did you choose on a wedding date yet?

• T
    Beginner May 2017 British Columbia
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With a list of guests. And wedding party. Day 3 and I've got the rough draft done and wedding party almost done. And were working on save the date cards. Past that, no idea haha.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics