Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kvdenapoli
Beginner August 2019 Alberta

Okay is a wedding rehearsal dinner absolutely necessary?

Kvdenapoli, on September 2, 2017 at 00:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

I don't know if we want to do one....

Is it really necessary and if so why?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Natalee, on February 21, 2018 at 17:04
  • Natalee
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have the venue the night before to rehearse, so I am not sure I want to do a dinner if we are not rehearsing...wow another thing to discuss with my beloved. lol. Sounds like we don't discuss much if you read my posts, honest we do. Smiley kiss

• Shauna
    Curious July 2018 Alberta
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I Agree with Ashley.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rehearsal dinner isn't necessary, but the rehearsal of the ceremony definitely helps smooth things along. We're getting married in a hall and we have access to the hall the night before, so were doing our rehearsal there, and just ordering in pizzas for everyone there.

• Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a rehearsal at the venue at like 1:30pm in the afternoon but I don't think we will be doing any sort of lunch/dinner thing. People can come back to our place if they want but it won't be anything formal.

• Tonya
    Curious September 2018 British Columbia
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our rehearsal is in the middle of the afternoon (2:30pm ish) so i'm planning a picnic type lunch for afterwards, which should work out as we are getting married in a local park. That way people can do their own thing for dinner. And my fiancé and I still get some wind down time in the evening.

• Natalie
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is the rehearsal usually at the venue you're getting married at? Or is it done anywhere?
  • Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We met with our officiant yesterday and he said that most people don't do rehearsal dinners anymore. we are doing one because my future MIL really wanted to host it. our officiant is going to come and run through the basis of the ceremony after the dinner, that way the wedding party knows what they need to do and where they need to be, etc. but i don't think it's absolutely necessary, especially if you are having a small wedding.
  • N
    Curious June 2018 British Columbia
    Nadine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I heard the rehearsal is necessary if it's an outdoor place and alot of people in the wedding party. But the dinner isn't necessary. Our location is different so need to have the rehearsal but we may just go for drinks afterwards, depending on how stressed I am or not, but not planning a dinner to much expense already

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not in our plan. I just don't think it's important. We're having a small wedding of 35 people. More than half are family and the wedding party so really, what's the point...we may as well just get married at the rehearsal since everyone would already be there!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is not necessary but I'm told a rehearsal is a good idea if available.

• Karina
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't believe it is necessary. My fiance and I know we will be very busy setting up decor in our venue and doing last minute odds and ends, plus we want to save money as we are paying for everything ourselves. So we will do a little rehearsal with the bridal party and officiant and then have everyone over for pizza and a hang out (if they want to, no pressure). We had a bit of a hard time when it came to our mothers because they felt it was necessary however its our wedding so we feel in the end its up to us. The same goes for you! Do what you feel is best for youSmiley smile

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are asking your wedding party to give you another night of their time to come and rehearse the ceremony, then I think it is kind to host a rehearsal dinner to thank them. The rehearsal dinner is also a great opportunity to give your wedding party their gifts!!

You can skip both (the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner), and don't forget that the rehearsal dinner can be as casual as pizza and beer at someone's home!

Check out How to Save Money on a Rehearsal Dinner and 5 Creative Rehearsal Dinner Ideas for great ideas and planning tips!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Years ago when I was young much younger, I worked at pizza hut. We had a wedding rehearsal party come there, it was actually really cool and they were so much fun.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wont have a traditional 'rehearsal dinner'. We will probably just go back to our place or my moms place after the rehearsal and have some drinks and order pizza for everyone.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a rehearsal dinner. Looking forward to it after the rehearsal, and saying thanks to everyone. Thought about having it at someone's home, but truthfully we just want to go somewhere, and not have to do anymore of anything the night before the big day. No cleanup, no putting things away. Just some laughs, drinks and food. Then we go our separate ways until the next day.
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it is necessary and I agree with Erin. We do not have one due to time prior to the wedding. We did gave thank you gifts to the wedding party.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't have to have one but it's a nice way to say thanks to your parents and wedding party.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not necessary but couples do it to have a social time after rehearsing for the wedding. It's also a "thank you"to the wedding party as well as parents of the bride and groom. We won't be having a rehearsal dinner because we're not having a rehearsal. You don't have to have a dinner. You can serve snacks and drinks and call it a night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics