Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Janaya
Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan

Off the rack dress..

Janaya, on September 20, 2018 at 13:23 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10

Is shopping off the rack a good or bad idea? I found one that I absolutely LOVE but they wont be able to order a brand new one for me.. I looked the dress over and there's only a couple of beads that need to be put back in place and the consultant said they can do that no problem.. otherwise I didn't see any issues..

What has your experience been like? pros and cons?

she offered it to me for $1,000 which is the lowest end of my budget so that's nice!

let me know your thoughts

10 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on September 22, 2018 at 01:00
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do it! I've known a few people who have bought off the rack for various reasons. If you love the dress, it doesn't matter if it's off the rack or ordered in!

• E
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought an off the rack dress. Defiantly try to renegotiate a price with them. My dress was originally $1800+ and I got them to knock it down to $750 Add in the dry cleaning and repairs for free and they also knocked a $10o off the cost of alterations because they only had a size 6 and I need a 2. Now In my case there was only 2 dresses available, one where I live and one in Alberta. Both the same size both off the rack dresses so I went with the one at my store. Before you buy the dress make sure to have the alterations manager come out and assess the dress with you and the manager of the dress shop to assure you every detail will be cleaned and or fixed and make sure they make notes of things in your file.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I planned to order mine - ended up buying off the rack at a sample sale. It fit me almost perfectly (if I had to, I could wear it tomorrow just fine) - just a few small tweaks by a seamstress will make it fit like a glove!

I paid 700+tax for a 1400$ gown. The bottom hem was a little dirty but I can dry clean that (I might not - it's not noticeable at all). You hit the nail on the head - look the dress over very carefully for damages. Negotiate - they offer it for 1000$ (if it isn't marked down already on the tag), offer 900$ - worst they can say is no, and hey, you tried!

The con that I've heard from most people is "But someone else has worn that dress!" I say bah - they tried it on. At most, they had it on for five or ten minutes.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The fact that they can’t order another one for you, then I would buy it. I only regret it because I could have ordered it. It sounds like very minor details
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To be honest, I did, but wish I didn’t. I only got 10% off and didn’t notice some issues with it until I got home (to bad for me as at the store I bought it from has a zero return policy) BUT I could have had the issue of it coming in late as I went shopping only 9 months before my wedding. It’s stuff no one will ever notice though! So I’m not overly bothered.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If this is the dress you love and it fits budget and those little details can be fixed I say go for it. I would also look into getting the dress cleaned before the day also. Just in case there a few marks of stains you haven’t noticed yet.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go with this particular dress since you do like it and there's not much that needs fixing. Also check about cleaning. The dress has probably been tried on lots and a good additional dry-clean might make it look like new with the fixed beading!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Brittany - if they are fixing it for free or even at a low low cost then go for it if you love the dress!

The only thing that is different is the fact that it may be a bit bigger than it originally was (just like shoes - the dress stretches) so keep that in mind if you were to just order that dress brand new.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I purchased mine off the rack. I sort of wish I didn't, because I have to now get it cleaned and it was not that much cheaper than ordering it. But my case is different because she was able to order me one, I just chose not to.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say go for it. My mom bought an evening gown (for her mother of the bride dress) at the salon I got my wedding dress, and it's missing quite a bit of beading/sequins and there is one tear... but the damage on the dress is deemed "in-store damage", and they are going to fix that stuff for free when she goes in for alterations.

Honestly, if it's able to be fixed, why not? You can see the dress, if you are happy with it, and confident they can fix it, go for it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics