Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha
Newbie May 2020 Ontario

Off season weddings?

Samantha, on June 1, 2018 at 10:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Can I save money by doing an off season wedding like January or February or March?

How much money could I save ?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on June 4, 2018 at 13:03
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't know. that's just what my florist said.

Double check with your florist.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi, Samantha! Normally, yes, you do save money during off-season months (November to March, depending on the venue). Many venues have packages for winter months specifically so how much you save is dependant on the venue; my fiancé and I originally planned to wed during the winter too, but decided against it as our venue is in a rural area.

Keep in mind, if you stick with seasonal items for food and florals, you will also save money there too.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

From I've been told, summer months leading up to September are typically considered "peak" season.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Off Peak season saves you lots since the active months are almost double in price.
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is September considered an “Off Peak” Season?
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As others have said, you can save a lot of money depending on the venue. I got married in March and saved a couple of thousand on some vendors (limo was 20% off, linens were 10% off), but our venue didn't offer anything, while another we were originally looking at did (they were giving 15% off, but it was farther out of town). I made a point to ask everyone though, as some won't offer it outright, but if you ask, they may be willing to give you a discount for the off-season.

The biggest bonus is that all the vendors are usually available, so you can have top pick of the best vendors. We had no problems booking anyone, and everyone was more than willing to work with us, which meant way less fuss and more choice!

• Jill
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Jill ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You definitely can! Many venues have winter wedding discounts from november-February (and some I’ve seen include March and April). Some places you can save up to $15/per person!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You actually save quite a bit of money by getting married in the off months, it's also easier to find vendors who are free. I'm not sure of any exact amounts, plus it gives you a little more freedom cause Everything related to weddings gets jacked up in price once spring hits! We are saving money just buying wedding things in the off months lol
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I didn’t think of this! Do you think it would be the same even if you get married after Valentine’s Day?
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were having our wedding in November. We’re saving $25 a plate plus tax and tip per person, our photography package was $1000 cheaper than it would have been in the regular season, saved $300 on the DJ, way more availability for florists and rental vehicles, and cheaper to travel if your honeymoon is going to require a flight.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm saving about $2500 by having my wedding in November. Some places give discounts for having it on a day other than a Saturday. Friday weddings are super popular now too, and you can get a discount in the on season sometimes Smiley smile
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were married in April, which was considered off season by our hall and the price turned out to be 30% off the regular price per plate, so definitely doesn’t hurt to ask.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of the time you can, but it depends on the venue as well, I would ask around!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Doesn't hurt to ask! Some venues and vendors do have some off-season savings, but it will definitely vary by vendor.

One thing to consider though if you're looking at February is that there probably wont be a discount on flowers. Growers increase wholesale flower pricing for the month of Valentine's.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in between Christmas and New Years. It’s basically a dead time for venues. So even thought we started looking at things only 8-9 months out, everywhere we have contacted is not only available but really wanting our business. The venue we decided on agreed to waive the rental fee they would have normally charged for our ceremony space.

You can can save some money but don’t expect to save a huge amount. The bonus for us was having no issues booking a venue, officiant, DJ etc. We picked this time strictly because all family members would be in town anyways, and we didn’t want to wait long to get married. The deals are just icing on the cake.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of the time yes, but I would check with your intended venue! We were going to have an off-season wedding but realized it was the same rate no matter what month/day so ended up scrapping that idea!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes. Yes you can. I will be having me wedding in October which is considered off season; so we have so far gotten a discount on the venue and I anticipate other vendors will offer something as well if they consider it a slow time of year.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can save money, how much you save with depend on the venue. They usually have prices for peak season and off peak season, which you can inquire about and compare the prices.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes you can. My best friend got married in November and saved significantly with all of her vendors. You can also save by getting married on a non peak day (weekdays).

We’re getting married in April which is known as the “shoulder” season, And we’ve experienced a few sound discounts.(percentages vary by vendor)

We also saved at our venue by opting to have a morning ceremony and brunch reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics