Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Not getting Rsvps back

Emily, on May 12, 2019 at 08:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21

How do I nicely say that if I don't have their rsvp back by june 1st to please NOT come as there may not be enough seating or food for them....

wedding in august 3rd and only have 43/70 people rsvped.

- not renting tables for 70 people if not all 70 are coming trying to save money any place I can

21 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on May 21, 2019 at 13:29
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If people don't send you their RSVP's by the deadline, the courteous thing to do would be to send each of them an email, text, or phone call just to check in. These are people who are important enough to invite to your wedding, so I'd try reaching out before putting them on the "not attending" list. It sucks that people don't respect the RSVP deadline, but some people don't realize how important it is.

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unfortunately, some people seem to think that not saying anything is the same as saying no.I agree with the people saying don't panic yet. The deadline is two weeks away, so either wait until the day of, or sometime after.

Definitely call them, or have someone else call them. I was in charge of RSVPs for my sister's wedding and some people did not mail them back, but simply told my sister in person or by email that they were attending. My sister was too busy to keep track and never let me know. I missed one couple so they weren't on the seating chart, but some others who RSVPd yes didn't show up, so it worked out in the end.

I always default to blaming Canada Post if you're worried about being rude. Say something like "I think your RSVP was lost in the mail" or "Canada Post is so slow with these things," but again, don't start bothering people until the deadline has arrived.

• Kelly
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A couple of my guests RSVP'd super late, I had to beg them to let me know after numerous calls and messages. I just had a few last minute cancellations from my RSVP'd guests and after I told the vendor, they charged me $500 for failure to meet the deadlines for giving them a final seating plan and headcount. Just don't let this happen to you.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Did you put a deadline on the RSVP card when you gave them out?

If yes, then wait for the deadline before following up.

Have your family/friends help you reach out after June 1st once with the hey if you don't tell me ASAP then I don't have a spot for you.

Some people lose things, or texts don't go through etc...

But if you told people they had until that day, some people may not appreciate being reminded before that deadline. If it's anything like some of our family they use any excuse to be offended.

If you didn't put a specific deadline then yes I would reach out now, and just send a friendly statement that you need final numbers back by June 1st and would appreciate if everyone send back their RSVP's as soon as possible. Yes or No.

My wedding is end of August. RSVP's are due back July 1st... and I am already getting annoyed with people. So believe me I get you. I have some people I know for a fact are coming... but they haven't sent their cards back, or the opposite. Then we have people adding people to their RSVP's. Or better yet I got two back with no names on them. Urggh it's frustrating.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say wait until June 1st. Then send out an email saying “please get your rsvp in by the end of the day otherwise we will add your name to the ‘not attending’ list”. Or something along those lines. I had sent out two emails and said this on the second one; wish I would’ve sent it the first time!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hate how people think they can delay their RSVP until the last minute - most of our guests are out of town and have already booked hotel rooms so they should know that they are coming or not already.

I'd follow up with your guests who haven't RSVP'd yet and tell them they have until June 1st to reply or else they risk getting marked as "Not attending". You don't have to sugarcoat it, having a harsh deadline might be the kick in the pants some people need.

• Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm still waiting for 40% of our RSVPs too. I've asked a few people and they all say "oh I thought I had until this day...". For some reason they seem to be waiting until the last day. I'm like "if you know you're coming than RSVP!!!!". Why wait for the last possible minute?????
    I'm waiting until the week RSVPs are due and then will get ahold of everyone who hasn't RSVP'd to tell them if they miss the deadline they will not be permitted to attend the wedding.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Vinod on this! Make sure you contact them and just give a remind that you need a rsvp. If people try to rsvp few weeks before your wedding, just them know your sorry however you sent out reminders and invite and at this point it is too late. Did your venue's ask for a very early rsvp or was this preference due to knowing what you need for tables and all that?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In 2 weeks time, a reminder email would be good for your unRSVP'd guests to ensure they do reply within the timeframe. Please don't delay or you will miss celebrating with us.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with all of the brides here : You don't have to sugarcoat it. I would tell them "You have 'til June 1st, I will not be following up with you after that date. If you don't RSVP, I'm writing you as a 'no' and that's final."

You gave them AMPLE time to RSVP and it's 2019, so they would've found a way to tell you by now.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We share our wedding date!! Smiley smile Girl, I have only gotten about 11 rsvps back so far... but I gave until june 15th!

once your rsvp date comes, send some texts or call and ask if they are able to make it Smiley smile

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Until June 1st you probably shouldn't worry too much. But I would have either a parent or someone in the wedding party or you or the groom call the guest directly for their answer. I agree that the guests have multiple simple options to RSVP, but people tend to forget the importance of replying (and the earlier the better). We are having some family deciding not to come. If they decide to RSVP no we can send invitations to some of our colleagues if advised soon after the invitation is received, but not if they RSVP close to the deadline.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out a message to people who never RSVPd saying that if we did not have their rsvp by March 25 then we would be assuming them to be a no and would therefore not have a meal ordered for them. The wedding is in 14 days so we will see how that goes for us
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Then definitely impose a deadline. You gave a lot of time!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mid march. around the 15th

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    When did you send your invites out?
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel like im worry to early about this but then I have to remind my self that june 1st is only a few weeks away!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the ladies!

Just be upfront and say if they do not RSVP by June 1, you will mark them down as not coming.

Its not fair for you to guess. Hopefully being a little more direct will get you the rest of your RSVPs!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE the chair and sandwich idea hahaha!! thing that gets me I even gave the option on the RSVP cards to Facebook message or text us a yes or no and people are still not responding. ughh

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, like Casey said give them one last nudge to follow the deadline. Then I would just announce a week before deadline that whoever doesn't RSVP cannot come as there will not be room for them. That is the point of the RSVP is so that the bride and groom know what to expect while planning and talking to the vendors.

Also like Casey said if they still come without the RSVP they can bring a chair and a sandwich.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would honestly just flat out tell people that. Most people should know that the couple needs and RSVP as soon as possible so they can plan accordingly. Give them one last reminder!
    Or there was a picture going around on Facebook that if they didn’t RSVP by the date they were expected to bring their own chair and sandwich lol.!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics