Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Frequent user August 2018 Ontario

No kids allowed!

Charlotte, on September 14, 2017 at 10:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Hi everyone! So I'm in the early planning stages and I dont think I want children at my wedding. In my mind's eye I see them running around, crying and being disruptive?
What are your thoughts on kids at weddings??

25 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on September 29, 2017 at 06:19
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are allowing children. As far as we are concerned if they are family, they are invited. Children are the life of the party sometimes and cooler than some adults! Smiley smile
  • Trudy
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Trudy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There will definitely not be any kids at my wedding
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course not!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly its up to you. And its perfectly normal to ask for kids to not be allowed at the wedding.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have invited teens which are allowed to stay for the full evening, I've also invited young ones, but their parents know that they are to leave after dinner. One of my bridesmaids will at the time of my wedding will have 5 boys, her youngest will be born 5 weeks before our wedding. 2 of the boys are in the wedding, and I have 2 flower girls. Plus cousins are bringing kids too. They have all been told they are to go after dinner, and everyone is fine and happy about being without kids for the evening.
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really love how you worded the sugar coat!! Hope you don't mind me borrowing that
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our initial plan was no kids allowed but my daughter, who will be 8 at the time, will be there the whole night with us and would be bored out of her mind. My bridesmaid also has 3 children and they have to travel an hour and a bit to get to us to be a part of our day so I'd feel bad having her need to find a babysitter.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're planning a no-kids wedding as well. At first I thought that people would be offended, but you can't please everyone! We're putting it on our invitations so that people will have time to plan/get babysitters etc. We're either going to write "adult only reception" or might even sugar-coat it and say something like "We adore your children, but are having an adult-only affair. Please make it a date night".

It's your wedding, don't feel bad about doing things the way you want!

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    HOLD ON! Why cant you tell them they made a mistake with their RSVP, no kids allowed? I need to visit your profile to see when your wedding is because the bridzilla in me is not accepting this lol
  • Danielle
    Newbie July 2018 British Columbia
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We put names on the RSVP cards and then that we reserved certain amount of seats for them. Works great Smiley smile

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh that's really unfortunate. Had you mentioned it to them before the invites went out? It's a relatively new thing for kids to be invited to weddings (or so my grandma says) so it's pretty presumptuous that they assume their kids are invited as well. I had cousins who asked if they should get a sitter and I said that we haven't made any plans for children and they might be bored because I felt awkward saying no outright. I'm not sure what I would have done face-to-face.

• Tonya
    Curious September 2018 British Columbia
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We tried to plan a kid free wedding, aside from the 4 flower girls (my nieces) one couple, who's invitation was addressed to Mr & Mrs XXX and not The XXX family RSVP'd to include their children. This particular invitation was hand delivered and it was indicated to both parents the children weren't included when they both asked. The hitch in this is that the Mr is the best man 😳🙁So...I've privately fumed, FH knows I'm not happy, in the interest of our day I'm overlooking it...that being said if the older child (who is 12 & has ADHD) acts up, there is no guarantee I will NOT get angry or cry! (The bridezilla in me is waiting for them to ask where the other kids are....which would be...children other than the wedding party were not invited). Nope, not stressful 48 hours out....
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing child free mostly for budget reasons. We invited the groom's nephews (who are teens) and his first cousin who is 8 because all first cousins are invited but otherwise the invite said adult reception but we spread the word that they would be invited to attend. It was mostly for everyone else LOL
    Before save the dates came out, My mom told my grandmother and my aunt that it would be child free so they could spread the word ahead of time. It hasn't created any issues.
  • Michelle
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also doing kids free. As much as I enjoy spending time with my nieces nephews and friends children, we wanted our guests to feel like they could let loose and have a few drinks without having to worry.
    We told the guests with children in person that we wanted them to have a relaxing day too and so we've decided on child free. Everyone has been totally fine with the decision and most are really looking forward to a night away.
    We're still going to put kid free on the invites anyways, but we felt the point would be made clearer if we told in person or had family spread the word.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's pretty common to have a kid free wedding. You can make the point that it not just about them being disruptive, maybe they'll be lot of drinking and the kids shouldn't see that or something.
    I know lots of ppl who had kid free weddings. We didn't, because I wanted my step daughter to be there the whole time and she's 8.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No kids for us also. My nieces and nephews will be there as they are family but they are teens and pre-teens so they are well behaved lol. It's totally normal and fine to have a kid free policy at your wedding!
  • Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kid free for me . My kids will be present and my brothers son and my bridesmaid daughter but they are all teenagers. As for small children no thank you
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a kid-free wedding except our 4 nephews and infant niece. Our two older nephews are our ring bearers and since there is no one left in our hometown to care for them, they are all coming. The rest of our friends don't mind that they have to leave their kids. Most of them think of it as a great opportunity to have some couple time. We are getting married out of town and no one seems to have minded. We told everyone flat out "though we love kids and dogs, please note that they are not invited".

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Charlotte, It's not a crime to want an adult only event. There are many cultures that would be offended if the whole family wasn't invited including kids but this is Canada and you can choose who you want to be at your own wedding. It's usually the parents that end up not having the best time because they have to be there for their kids. Some children are well behaved, but most get bored and that's when the difficulty starts.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, it's pretty common. I have cousins with kids and when we got engaged and set our date, they asked if we were having kids. We told them no and they said "cool, now we know to get a sitter". Everyone was cool about it.

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sold! I have to admit I felt like is there something wrong with me for not wanting children there Lol
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh great!! I was feeling bad and imagining guest complaining to their partners and other guests about not being able to bring their kids. Buts it seems this is normal so I'm sticking to my gut. No kids allowed !!
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a child free wedding. No one has complained or gotten upset about it...it's pretty common now. People get a sitter for the night and get a night out of dinner and dancing!

We addressed our invites to the couple only and on our RSVP card, we listed that it was an adult reception. Some include it on the invitations too..."Ceremony at 4:00 p.m., cocktail hour and adult reception to follow" type thing.

My sister had kids free too, with the exception of the flower girl/ring bearer who were picked up after dinner by grandparents to be taken home (they were kids of their friends) and they were really well behaved. We're not having either of those in the wedding, so we just decided against having kids at the wedding overall.

It can go either way with kids...they can make it a lot of fun, but it all depends on the day for the kid. We wanted a more adult mood where parents could come, let loose and have fun without worrying about the kids, and everyone seems pretty happy with that.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do not like kids at weddings, but I am also lucky enough not to have many kids in my life. We're going to let people know its an adult-only reception (that's apparently the polite language) and I'll make exceptions on a case-by-case basis. My mom loves kids and told me I can't ban them from my wedding but the joke is on her because I don't know any kids. Also, all of the parents of young children that I have spoken to have said even if they could bring their kids, they would not as it'll be nice to have a nice night away and get dolled up for it.

• Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is pretty normal to have a "no kids" policy at weddings these days. Most of the weddings I have attended did not allow children. The only time it might be difficult to have this policy is if you are having an out of town wedding where a lot of guests are travelling. Aside from that, I would say it's totally ok to have this rule at your wedding Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics