Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
British Columbia

My Pet Peeve - Boundaries with Vendors

Brittany, on July 18, 2018 at 17:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20

Okay so I'm just wondering if I am a crazy person, or if any of you brides out there feel the same way I do... When do vendors cross the line with being too invasive when replying to your inquiries?

I actually took a vendor off my "possible" list just now because of their persistence to contact me. I did a "request pricing" on WeddingWire, and within 24 hours they responded on WW, e-mailed my personal e-mail, and also called me... All before I even responded to them!

Am I being too picky? Or is that a little much? It's not a rush to book either, my wedding is 6 months away...

I understand trying to promote your business, and the opposite of this would be the complaint of vendors that take forever, or never, reply... But it makes me feel like I'm buying a used car when they push so much. It also raises a red flag to me about their confidence in their business...

Also, when you're using a wedding app to request pricing, in this day and age, unless you're following up for a secondary round of info, or ask to be contacted... who calls anymore? I never answer my phone for unknown numbers...

Anyways, kind of just a rant, but I wasn't sure if I'm being a b*tch, or if you feel the same way.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Helen, on July 23, 2018 at 15:07
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the "atention too detale" people use in their emails!

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I crossed two venues off my maybe list because of the vibe from their emails. Truthfully, it wasn't the only reason but it helped make my decision. One was just super super familiar in her emails, like wanting to know our entire relationship story before she would even give me package prices. The other was just confusing to deal with. Her answers to my questions were not making sense that I had to ask Canadians if I was using the right terminology. (I grew up in Australia).

I've also crossed off vendors because of very obvious spelling mistakes on their websites. They claimed to be "proffesional" and repeatedly used the word "vowes" instead of "vows".

• Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely super annoying! I have asked for pricing from vendors and then have them not tell me any pricing, but instead as me about various details related to my wedding, most of which have nothing to do with why I have contacted them.

For example, contacted a dessert place to inquire about how much various desserts would be (we were just going to buy bulk numbers of various things) and the gal who responded wanted to know so many details, not really relevant.

I feel like some vendors don't understand that when you are working within a particular budget, before looking into the exact details of the services they offer you need to know whether you are even close to budget with them.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol exactly, this guy was $4,000 - $6,000 i was like yeah no thank you, these pictures are not made of gold lol

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So weird when they ask why it's too expensive, or ask what your budget is... ?! Kind of embarrassing for lower budget gals, when it's a $**** photographer and I'm thinking... it doesn't matter, because you're not dropping your price $2000! We went "overbudget" and are only spending $1800.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right? And to add to it... they called me 3 more times in a couple hours, from 2 different numbers... a 4th time I finally picked up, and they hung up?! Then called back a 5th time and finally asked me all these questions about if I found another vendor with WW, and how easy it was, and how long it took (they are new to the site I guess).... I wanted to be so mad when I finally answered, but the guy just seemed so upbeat/oblivious... Hopefully now I will be left in peace.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had a photographer do this too after I inquired about prices. I then explained that his prices were too expensive and he kept asking questions why it was too expensive and what i was looking for. Multiple emails because I was not responding

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is a bit overwhelming. to contact you all 3 times after sending the initial info and in a short time span. appears desperate. but because right now is summer/busy season. they also may want to make sure they don't forget you.

I work in sales. and the number one thing I find in not getting the sale is the fact that people don't follow up. but that kind of follow up is definitely excessive. and I would be going "bye" as well. with me. I usually send my quote. and follow up a week later.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's super annoying, sorry to hear you're going through that!

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah that can be very annoying especially when they send another persons name. For me right now I’m a little frustrated with the cake people. I have inquired about prices a few days ago from 4-5 places and only 2 responded. One was promt tho and it seems to be the better choice cost wise.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a photographer call and reply on ww. Then, he emailed again through ww only put the wrong name at the top! When I said it was too expensive, he emailed again and asked about what I thought about his lowest cost package, which was still too much.

Yes, it was annoying but at the same time, it would work for some people; I know people who think if the business wants their money, they will contact those inquiring.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm in total agreement!! I don't know if it's desperation or just anal on chasing those leads but I can't stand it. I had a similar experience of a vendor hunting me down over 2 days and I'm not even looking to book, like I just started planning, gathering info and getting prices for a wedding that's years away, like 2020 and I haven't even got a firm date yet. I made this clear in my initial inquiry email but one vendor emailed the pricing package, sent a follow up email to see if I got the first email then called to congratulate me and see if I had any questions about the emails then emailed again to see if I'd made a choice or had booked with someone else. Like seriously!!??!?!! Most vendors hadn't even gotten back to me yet and this person was borderline stalking me. I like a business to be on top of their isht but that's too much.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel you! One guy (I think my FH contacted him through WW) emailed back, we didn’t respond within 24 hours so he replied again, at that point we told him we went with someone else and he emailed back and asked who we went with and said “does that person have x,y,z things?”. That was three months ago and he just emailed us last week asking how our experience has been with the guy we picked!! Like, we’ve never met this person and just did the generic email... no idea why he got so involved!
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That does seem really excessive. And ya I would probably be turned off of some of those as well I were in that position. But also 6 months is not that far out to be booking vendors.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG Brittany, I had that happen a lot with vendors on Wedding Wire (mostly officiants or DJs). I feel like it's good to be responsive, but you're absolutely right that some of them are way too pushy to the point where you don't want to work with them.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The guy has now text messaged my personal number (after saying I didn't need his services) and called again. Eek. Next time I'm going to pick up and tell him to leave me alone... I think 2 e-mails, 2 calls and a text is too much in less than 24 hours... especially when you've said no thank you.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Courtney, I guess what I meant was not so much lack of confidence, but in my opinion, if you are chasing down customers, you come off desperate to need those customers (whether that's true or not)...

I know many vendors need to be booked quite far our, but we are doing our wedding literally on the slowest weekend of the year (January 19th)... so for us, every single vendor we have contacted is available on our date. I just meant far out enough where it's not a rush/emergency to book a last minute vendor Smiley smile

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think some vendors don't realize they are so pushy. I dont know if I would say they aren't confident in their business.

As a complete aside - depending on the vendor you're trying to book, 6 months isn't that far out! Our hair/make up people were solidly booked 6 months in advance. Same with our Florist.

Our officiant, photographer and DJ were almost fully booked about a year out and our venue didn't even have our first choice of date a year in advance.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Brittany,

I agree with companies trying too hard or pushing to get your business. I have seen been to those sites and one i left my email address along with rhe required information needed. It was on WW and never got answer. If it was the opposite to be getting calls and receiving emails often, then i would pursue to ask to be removed off the list.

We are somehow promoting their business by referring to others by word of mouth. Whereas, these conpanies are promoting themselves by advertising on sites and online searching.

You're not being picky or over the top at all. As a consumer, we choose how we want to go about our decisions providing personal information. I'm very cautious of leaving personal information if the site isn't secured.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I had the same thing with a photographer when I was looking. They literally called twice, emailed and responded on wedding wire within the space of 30 minutes. It’s ridiculous. It’s extremely pushy, and I want a vendor who’s going to make me feel comfortable, not someone who’s pushy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics