Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Devoted October 2021 Alberta

My biggest fear might be coming true!

Taylor, on April 4, 2020 at 18:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 51
We have been engaged since 2013. We have tried several times to get married. Coronavirus hits and I'm sitting here like "oh it will be long gone by October". Then it lasted a bit longer then expected and it turned into "I hope it's gone by october" to now hearing rumors 2020 is just canceled period. Social distancing and everything will stay for the rest of the year. Meaning even my October wedding may be done for. Yeah it wasn't big to begin with but it means no vendors or venue and literally parents,siblings,grandparent,great aunt and uncle. And then the MOH and Best man. That's 9 people plus us. My heart is broken. I feel like it will never happen. My FH doesnt care because he would rather elope anyways but I have spent my whole life with a broken family and now I have one that isnt so broken. I have always been very sentimental and I dont care what I wear or even where it happens but as long as my loved ones are there and I get some pictures (even if they are taken with a phone) I'm happy. They are a part of our journey and this is something important that i want shared with the people who matter most to both of us. Now I'm sitting here crying and freaking out over something not even set in stone. This crap sucks!

51 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on April 9, 2020 at 12:06
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm pretty flexible too but the date I just cant do it. It's happening one way or another! Even if guest have to watch from their cars.
  • Elysia
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Elysia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have had my October 3, 2020 wedding date set in stone for almost two years now. I’m feeling all the stress and uncertainty around this as well.

I have yet to secure a florist, hair and makeup, and cake. Do I even try to secure vendors for those things right now? Do I hold off? If so, until when? So many things to think about and I’m thinking about them all the time.
    It would be devastating to have to change everything. I’m usually a very flexible person but I’ve put so much into this. It’s just all very overwhelming right now. Seriously considering postponing to October 2021.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's our date too (and the rough time we picked it and almost the same time for engagement lmao! Ours was 7) alot of my stuff is online but I'm worried the venue will remain closed (especially because the owner has cancer and cant risk exposure) and the vendors will cancel. I dont do well when I dont have control over something or living in uncertainty. I know the majority of my guests would come regardless but some wont even be able to because they are from other provinces. It sure has screwed everything up for everyone.
  • Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I 100% understand what you're saying. We are supposed to be getting married October 10 of this year and everything has come to a complete stall. I ordered my dress the week before everything hit in Saskatchewan. I have no idea if my dress will come in, if we'll have a venue etc. We have been engaged for 5 years and picked this date two years ago. It is so incredibly upsetting that everything has just come to a screeching hault. I'm sorry you're going through this as well. I truly hope we can all get back to normal soon...

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The fear is real that's for sure. Its really hard feeling so helpless and trapped. Especially in wedding planning because you gotta be going 50 miles an hour to get everything sorted and now we are all in limbo.
  • Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel this!! Everything has come to a complete standstill, we're not receiving any replies and no one wants to discuss anything because everything is so up in the air. It has totally squashed the excitement and anticipation for our wedding. Smiley sad

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All is good. I have a learning disability an part of it is spelling and reading comp so I barely notice those things Smiley smile
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for this. I have read the vaccine is still 18 months away atleast. Hopefully something happens and soon to give us some normal feeling life back.
  • First
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    First ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also I just realized I spelled herd wrong... long day I’m sorry
  • First
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    First ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I’m really sorry about what you and other 2020 brides are going through. I can’t imagine how stressful and sad it would be to have to reschedule your wedding.
    I work as a research scientist, not in an area that specializes in vaccines per-say (I am not an expert) but I do have my ear to the ground about the outlook on Covid at least from the perspective of some of my coworkers in pharma (who again aren’t virologists, immunologists, or an expert in vaccines in any way). I think it will be at least a year until a vaccine is ready for use, probably more (I don’t have any insider knowledge - just their take based on experience with vaccines and what they hear in the news).However, not having a vaccine doesn’t mean that we won’t have a rollback in social distancing. The bottom line is no one knows for sure, but I fully expect by July that we will experience a lifting of some measures. The main point of us social distancing right now is to slow the spread enough that we don’t overwhelm the healthcare system with all of the sick people, which would result in a higher fatality rate. As more people get it and recover thus developing immunity the virus won’t be able to spread as easily. So, we’re likely to see a sort of cyclical social distancing where measures are relaxed until the number of cases increases too much and then the social distancing measures will be tightened. At some point we will either develop a vaccine, or enough people will have gotten it that there is enough heard immunity (why vaccines are always important) that the virus can’t spread enough to have the same detrimental effect.I don’t know if this explanation was helpful... unfortunately I think we are all going to have to play it by ear. I hope you know that we’re all here for you if you need to vent or anything. On a positive note i just read an article published 4 days ago that described an effective MERS vaccine (another coronavirus) in a mouse study that they are now going to try to modify and test for covid-19... hope it works!
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah same here. We have leaves and our colors are very dark. It really just feels octobery
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here - if we have to postpone it, it will have to be a year out as well because everything about our wedding screams autumn, harvest, Thanksgiving etc. It would feel strange to have it any other time of the year. Fingers crossed we are all good for Fall 2020.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's all about what date feels right to you. If may 9th then you could change a year if the year isnt as important.
  • L
    Newbie May 2021 New Brunswick
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my I get it! My wedding is scheduled for May 9th! I don’t have a choice but to cancel since it’s only a month away! But now it’s like what date do I change it to? With all this it’s just so hard to re plan! Ugh, I do hope you’re still able to have yours in October!
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah we have a guest from BC we want but who knows. It sucks big time
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat as you, in fact I think we have the same wedding date. My FH and I are crossing our fingers that we will be able to continue as planned, some of our guests from other provinces are starting to ask what our plan is.

The date we chose is very special to us so we don't want to postpone unless it's unsafe to go forward. We did however decide that as long as we can get a marriage license we are going to get legally married on our date.

We've been planning this wedding for nearly two years now and the last thing we want is to push everything, especially because we would probably end up having to push it by a year because our theme and everything is just so so autumnal.

I'm crossing my fingers and wishing on every little thing, planning a wedding is stressful enough. Planning a wedding during the unknown of this pandemic is giving me grays.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    People I think dont understand how freaking long it takes for everything. I mean dress shops alone tell you 6 months to a year to order your dress. Some venues and vendors book months in advance. My officiant has TWO weddings on my date. Mine and another. And shes was also booked up for 2020 back in like last summer. Everything takes time. It's very hard to throw together something in a very short amount of time. But theres also rehearsals and fittings and viewings and it's a hot mess if you dont give yourself time. So brides who ordered right before this hit are stuck dressless. They dont even know if it fits or anything. Yeah it sounds silly but they are big deals when its something you have been waiting for possibly since you were a little kid. I know when I was 3 I knew I wanted to be a wife and a mother. I mean I'm a mother to dogs but still I'm a mother.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah she was implying that but even then she doesn't know for sure that's just the rumors. Fingers crossed that something happens and soon so things can get back to normal
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Taylor I completely understand what you are going through Smiley heart

Did your therapist imply that things will be better by July? is that what she meant? i'm really hoping so... its so hard to tell now. I want to postpone but I don't even know when.... I know a lot of people are postponing to 2021 but it is too far away for us to be married for a number of reasons.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omggg im so sorry to hear this!! i completely understand how you feel!!! i feel so sad even having to think about canceling or the fact that no one even asks or talks about the wedding cuz people are always talking about the virus. its such a hard time i feel you Smiley heart

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Smiley smile I hope so too
  • McGilvery
    Newbie October 2020 Alberta
    McGilvery ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So sorry to hear about this. I too, am an October bride who's been waiting for ever for this special day. I don't have much else to say, just showing support in solidarity. ❤️ Hopefully things calm down soon and we can all begin the process of healing and returning to life.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I read it on global that in the next few months if things calm down especially that they will give more freedom but idk how much. But generally it will be another 18 months roughly before we are totally free. I just was talking to my therapist and she said no later then july because of patterns in china. I'm hoping it's over sooner then that because I also have a charity event that I'd really hate if it got canceled as I've gone every year for the last 7 years (this would be year 8) even when it ment traveling 4 hours to get there. Canada has been ahead of the curve and even though the statistics are not as scary as everyone thinks it still isnt changing the fact we are all stuck waiting in the dark
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi there!

Sending some love - that sounds super stressful to be going through. Another October bride here. I can understand the devastating thoughts and emotions thinking this might not happen the way we planned!

Where did you hear that the restrictions will be in place for the rest of the year? I am just curious as those in the midst of it that I have spoken to, ie healthcare professionals have definitely assured me that October will be ok. The most they are looking at is until July and from there we will see some restrictions being lifted, sort of an ease back into normal world. Realistically, the entire world can not function in lockdown for the rest of year. We would collapse as a society.

That all being said - I am not a personal confident of the government so I have no idea what will actually happen or how it will go down. I just have not personally heard any whisper of this being our life for the rest of the year. Just wanted to offer another perspective, its really hard to not give into the fear and anxiety of it.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The live streaming is a super cute idea but my mom is very "special" when it comes to technology and my grandma,great aunt,and great uncle dont have computers or really do well with technology. I find weddings can be a new chapter not just for the couple but for others. I'm closer to my stepdad (he raised me and him and my mom divorced a few years ago) and his new wife then my actual mom. But my mom is trying to make things right and she got remarried last year and my new stepdad is pretty cool too. I see them like once a year if I'm lucky but we talk. My grandma I'm lucky to see on my birthday and my great aunt and uncle idk how long it's been since I saw them but they are my 3 favorite people. It would just be nice to be able to bring everyone together and it be about me and not all the hurt and drama of the past.
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel you. We've been engaged for almost 4 years & this seemed like it was meant to be our year. (we had 2 kids then bought our house). We are getting married July 18. & I plan to even if it's just us, our officiant & a witness & we get married in my MILs backyard. I also come from a broken family (I've never even met my mom's side, except for 2 cousins only 1 who I actually seen every couple years). So having this wedding to include them & my FH family was really important. But if we have to, we will just postpone the reception & do a vow renewal at a later date. We are also going to look at live streaming our wedding so others can still watch us.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's the think I dont want to even postpone it. Something about this date is so perfect. Even if I did 10/10/2030 it doesnt flow. Damn virus. It should get cancelled not 2020 lol
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just wanna say my heart goes out to you! I’ve been waiting several years as well... so I know how it feels hopeless. Our wedding is August and I was feeling good before but now I’m not. And I prepared big time too so we have to postpone it instead of just cancelling and eloping or something because of the money already spent, decor etc. It sucks.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks congratulations to you too. That really sucks. This virus has hit alot of people in some crazy ways. My heart went out to all the brides who were getting married earlier on in the year but now I really feel their pain because they are saying 18 more months possibly! I doubt that will last because I'm sure by june everyone will start to riot lol. I hope you get a chance to have the wedding you hoped for.
  • N
    Newbie July 2022 Alberta
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh I feel you. My wedding is supposed to be July 1st 2020 😩 Everything is closed down and this is our second attempt to get married. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Feeling like the world is against us. Even if this was to go away, say May we don’t even know if it would happen. The wedding shop is closed where myself and my wedding party ordered our dresses. The groom and groomsmen can’t get suits either. Small wedding isn’t even an option at this point considering my wedding party including my spouse and I is 14 people. Also we were supposed to board our plane tomorrow at 12:20pm to head to Vegas for our Bachelor/Bachelorette party. However we got our health and that’s a blessing in its self. Wishing you the best I feel like October is months away and I feel in my heart you’ll be able to get married! Congratulations
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is scheduled for October too. When this whole mess started my fiance and I picked a date in July when we will need to make a decision and until then I am trying not to worry. We picked July because that would be when we could delay sending invites to.

For now I've thought of a few backup plans. Like you we really want our family and friends there to share the moment, but if FH's family can't come to Canada from the states we will try to elope and have an anniversary reception next year instead. We can renew our vows, and do all the traditional wedding things like cake, and a bouquet toss. To me it is only fair that my family miss is too if his family can't be there (I haven't told my mom about this part of the plan yet...I'm sure you'll all hear her freak out from accross the country 🙃)
    It sucks. Nothing about this situation is ideal, but try to find the bright places wherever you can. You still have the person you love, you might just need to wait a little longer to make it legal 😉
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. I dont care what I wear,eat,or where it happens. I just care about capturing the moment even if it's with my cellphone and the people I love most being there to witness me being married. But I want them to be witnesses to the actual legal signing too. I just have to hope by October the risk is low enough I can have the officiant there for the signing. My loved ones all said they wouldnt miss it for the world and that makes me smile but also feel a bit guilty. We are all very high risk except for my FH,MOH,the bestman,my dad, and my mom. Eve 4 of those it's kind of iffy. 2 have had cancer in the past,1 has respiratory issues,and one has not the best immune system. My stepmom has COPD. My brothers I think both have athsma,3 of them are over 70,and I have serious respiratory issues. It sucks that it's a respiratory disease tbh because that's the issues we all have lol. It's hard getting out of that dark hole when you cant get vitamin D to help with depression and my body wont absorb the pills or drops. Good times. I'm trying.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics