Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Mother of the Bride/groom dresses

Stephanie, on November 8, 2017 at 22:56 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9

Hello,

I am stuck on colours for the moms to wear! My mom keeps asking me and I have no idea. Our colours are royal blue and burnt orange. I had thought they could wear a different shade of those colours, but I don't see either of them going for an orange/peach dress. I do think it'd be cute if their dress matched their husbands tie or shirt. Any suggestions for colours? What did/are the mothers wear/wearing to your wedding?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Chanelle, on December 13, 2017 at 13:39
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m wondering this too. I’m wearing blush pink and my BM’s are wearing pale grey. My dad who will walk me down the aisle has a lovely dark gray suit that he can wear, I’ll pair him with maybe a light lavender tie as I want some fresh lavender in our bouquets and boutineers. To match my dad, my mom can wear sparky silver. As for my MIL/FIL/step FIL, I’m not sure yet. Hoping to have MIL in some sort of coordinating colour but there won’t be much colour other than pale grey/white/greenery! Any suggestions?
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also do not see the point of colour coordination; I am not even going to ask my father to wear a tie to match my mum, if this is not what hey already have in mind. I’ll just let them enjoy Smiley smile
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told our mothers to wear whatever they want. We just ask that our fathers ties match so they are on the same colour scheme. Our colours are navy and gold but they don’t have to match that at all. Whatever they fine that they like.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went the simple way and told them to wear whatever color they wanted, as long as it wasn't the wedding colors. They chatted with each other and in the end my mom ended up in pink and my mother-in-law in blue ... I'm not sure if they did that on purpose (pink for mother of bride, blue for mother of groom), but it worked out really well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MIL wore a black and white dress and my mum wore a beautiful taupe/grey dress with beading at the neck. I didn't tell them what to wear and they didn't really ask. The only thing people in the family asked were what colour the bridesmaids dresses were so that they didn't get mistaken for the wedding party.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom in law asked if i had a preference, mainly because her daughter selected the dress for her lol, i said whatever makes you feel beautiful Smiley smile. My mom would never ask because she would assume she can pick whatever she wanted.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would agree with Ashley. Maybe just give her colours you definitely don't want her to wear and she can choose whichever colour she likes. My colour scheme was burgundy, navy and blush. My mom wore a fuschia dress and my husband's mom wore a blue dress. Though they were different colours and didnt match our scheme it looked nice in photos and contrasted nicely
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd give her the freedom to wear whatever she feels good in. Why limit her? Sometimes you fall in love with a dress and it's not because of the colour, it could be the fit or the material. Just advise her on colours you *don't* want her to wear.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is something I've wondered about too! I'm curious to hear other people's answers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics