Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Most stressful part of wedding planning?

Sarah, on May 30, 2019 at 20:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 40
I am curious as to what some of you guys find or found to be the most stressful part of planning?

I got all our vendors booked except cake (doing so next spring) and florist (just deciding between two). Figuring out hair and makeup was kind of annoying. Hairstylists were already booked or charge too much or don’t reply to emails.. so that was stressful but I know there’s still a lot left to do.

40 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on June 5, 2019 at 17:43
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There have been quite a few things I saved money on by doing a lot of research and buying second hand. But overall, I'd say that only mildly offset all the other expenses that I wasn't prepared for (and I thought I covered a lot initially!).

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I keep changing my mind about small things and then i think argh what do i want. I can't make a firm decision about centerpieces so that's driving me crazy.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me I think the most stressful part was getting the groomsmen organized. They kept forgetting to book stuff for the bachelor party, kept postponing getting their suits altered, had no idea what they were going to do the morning of. Then they kept forgetting to let us know where my groom was the day of the wedding which made not seeing him a little more difficult...
    aside from that I would say just figuring out the music. There were so many great songs to choose from, we couldn’t decide on most of them lol
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Now that I’m officially a month away from my big day, I can tell you the most stressful part is trying to make everyone happy. My fiancé and I did it to the point where WE were putting immediate family member’s opinions and feelings before our own. When we realized this, we knew we are a team no matter what. Being a little selfish is what we had to do. We still listen and hear opinions (he’s better at it then me) but go ahead and do what we want.

Other then that, the wedding planning has been smooth compared to what it was before we made this rule.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear you I’ve only been able to get stuff done because I am on maternity leave. I couldn’t imagine doing it while working!!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So true about the expenses. I really thought I could budget well and find great deals but the wedding industry is one hell of a money maker.. I still thought we were doing okay until I added things up on this app. Almost wish I didn’t lol
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm mostly stressed bc I still have soooooooo much to do. I only have an MOH, and my mom. We all work full-time time jobs so it's been tough getting together to plan and get through things.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm quite detail-oriented so for the most part, I haven't been stressed! Occasionally looking at the budget has given me a wave of anxiety as time has gone on, because when you start planning you really have no idea of the expenses of things and how everything adds up! Interestingly the one thing that was/is stressing me that I'd avoided for quite awhile was our music list. We decided to go with a digital DJ, so creating our own music list. I just found this to be so overwhelming! Once I got started on the reception/dance music it wasn't so bad. But I was so overwhelmed by ceremony music I hired a guitarist (which I had thought about all along anyways!). I still have yet to narrow down the processional and recessional songs. I'm probably over-thinking these wayyy too much!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahah sounds about right. it's hard when you want to keep it small!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At first it was the money required to book the vendors. Now that we have everybody booked, and have had time to save up for the remaining payments, I'm not stressed about it anymore.

Most stressful thing is easily the guest list/seating chart/RSVPs.....anything to do with the people attending basically lol.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I 100% agree with trying to please everyone. We also have split families on both sides, so there were a lot of opinions and feelings to consider.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh same!!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can definitely understand that about your mom my mom stresses me out too but for different reasons. Maybe closer to the big day she’ll be a lot more excited. My future mother in law was not interested AT ALL in the wedding although she has now come around a bit
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me it’s just people’s opinions. From my guest list being too short (40 people), to where I should have my wedding, to who I’m suppose to ‘make sure’ is invited. I’d prefer them not saying anything. The response will always be the same - my wedding and I’m doing what I want.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can relate!! My mom is super stressful. She’s overly opinionated so I want to ignore her judgements.. but she’s my mom and has been to a million weddings so her opinions are kinda valid? She always makes me feel torn on things. So annoying lol
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve put the seating chart really far in the back of my mind lol I am dreading it!!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The guest list was stressful for me, and the decorations sometimes haha! but over all just not having my mom being my best friend like she usually is, and not being excited or supportive. We've chatted about how I feel and she just says "well, I don't really know your FH that well so its hard for me" like oh ok cool, but I know him Smiley smile and I love him very much so...........

*he's in the military and was gone for the first 6 months of our relationship and since then she hasn't tried very much to get to know him*

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing that really stressed me out, was the whole incident with my mom. Long story short, she booked the MUA and hair stylists without telling me. So when I started sending her lists of potential MUA and stylists, she got offended and kept saying that nobody else should be touching her hair except her current stylist bla bla bla. When she finally TOLD me about the MUA and stylist, she didn't see why it would be frustrating for me. She said "well, I'm obviously paying for it, so I should have a say".

I had to tell her that we NEVER had this conversation before and she owed me an apology for booking stuff behind my back, regardless if she was paying or not. Had I KNOWN about the MUA and stylist, I wouldn't have sent her a list of potential vendors to begin with.

Other than that, it's mostly managing people's expectations and ideas of what OUR wedding should be. I have a couple of guests that are having problems planning their own schedule (OOTG) and trying to make it MY problem : No, I am not moving my wedding time because you decided to fly in the day of the wedding!.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The most stressful I found was managing other people (bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents lol)!

That, and I've heard that putting the seating chart together is stressful!

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me it was getting the bridesmaid to pick their dresses. The rest of things were simple.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!!! Our guest list was really difficult and stressful too. It’s still not even complete. We are trying to keep numbers under 85 but every so often FH thinks of someone to add meanwhile I’m more ruthless and want to cut a bunch of people out lol
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The most stressful part for me was probably the guest list. We wanted to keep it small and it's really hard to decide who to come and who to leave out.. we have both changed our mind a couple times and have felt guilty about some people we didn't invite.. but it was hard. felt a little cut throat at times. If we had a bigger wedding then we would have invited everyone but that just wasn't what we wanted.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is crazy!!!! That’s almost as bad as 7k for photography!!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh man having vendors cancel is like my worst nightmare right now lol that must be so stressful with the wedding party though!! That’s why we opted to keep our small but you never know what can happen with so much time ahead still
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really good! I found someone about the same. After emailing about 100 stylists.. lol
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far it's just been stressful because of the costs and then also because my FH has been away on work for 6 weeks - is back this weekend, goes away for a week, back for 2, goes away for 6 again (but has to come back for a weekend in the middle for his cousin's wedding), and then back for 1 week, away for another 2, and then that puts us at the end of August....

Somewhere when we have time and both of us in the city we have to make an appointment to have our custom wedding bands made, find a place that can make our wedding cake as well as dainties for dessert, and then decor will be all on me I suppose.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yikes!!! I’ve seen $350 both hair and makeup combined and thought that was a lot!!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s actually an amazing price! I’m paying a higher price but nothing close to $350 😑
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOAH! Seriously, that is way too much money! I lucked out and found someone who does $60 for hair and $60 for makeup for the bride, and then $50 for each service for the bridesmaids, and her work is amazing!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say our wedding party.... they don't get a long have caused a lot of fights between each other and coming to us. The wedding itself hasn't been to stressful, I have had 3 vendors cancel and still found my wedding party and their drama was more stressful!

• Nelly
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Picking our readings for our wedding ceremony was stressful. We want a romantic and religious ceremony
  • Miranda
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The florals were crazy expensive, I guess that was my biggest shock. Popular florists had minimum spending amount of $5K or $6K to even start talking with you. Took a while to find someone we wanted!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics