Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaela
Beginner April 2018 British Columbia

Mom/grandma fashion?

Kaela, on March 24, 2018 at 21:21 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15

Hey guys, my wedding colours are pink, purple, rose gold, and white/black with rustic wood accents.

I asked the moms and grandmas to get either pink or purple dresses and everyone is except the grooms mom who wants to wear a navy dress. Am I being a bridezilla for wanting her to match for the cute photos it would make if she matched all the other moms and grandmas?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 20, 2018 at 15:55
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this! Just talk to her and explain why you want them in a certain colour because they are a part of your bridal party too!

If she is insistent on navy blue, maybe see if your FFIL will wear to match her? If the couples are matching still she wont stand out like a sore thumb!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom never even asked me! She just went ahead and bought her dress and then showed me afterwards.

I think maybe you could ask your FMIL to wear something along your colour scheme to match and explain why. If that doesn't work, maybe your groom can help? It's his wedding too so he might have more pull with her?

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think of course it would be cute to match, but sometimes certain colours aren't comfortable for people to wear. I would maybe suggest if she wanted to wear a different colour, you can always have the choice between light colours or dark colours to kind of coordinate. I just told my mom and my future mother-in-law not to wear black, and to wear whatever they would feel comfortable in.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never heard of people telling their family what they have to wear to their wedding. The mums and my grandma at my wedding got to wear whatever they wanted as long as it wasn't the same colour as the bridesmaids. If you are really set on certain attire then I guess that's your prerogative but keep in mind that, as some have already said, some people don't feel confident or comfortable in certain colours. You don't want to have hurt feelings between you because of a dress.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm a very picky person when it comes to matching, coordination, and planning. However, when it comes to women, clothes, and ESPECIALLY mother-in-laws... sometimes we need to bend. My colours are black, white, navy and silver... I wanted the mothers in silvers/grey... my FMIL wants to wear purple. I initially freaked out, then I realized, purple isn't going to look bad, she is going to feel comfortable, and I will not have to listen for the next 30-40 years of my life about that "awful dress I made her wear to my wedding"... Haha. As long as she's not wearing orange or white... I think it may be a pick-your-battle situation.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm surprised to see so many people asking their parents to wear certain colours. I have always thought that parents and grandparents wear whatever they like.

For my wedding, I asked the parents to not wear grey as our bridal party is in grey and I worry it might be too much. But at the end of the day, if they wanted a grey dress I was happy for them to rock it!

If you want them to match you can always purchase corsages or buy them a wrap or something in the colours you like?

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like if your not buying their dress you can only suggest. That would be the day I get mad at the moms or grandma's for that. At least you have them.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We also let our mom’s pick what ever dress they feel confident in. My FMIL really tried to coordinate with my mom but I know my mom recently gained some weight so she is super sensitive about her dress. She found something that she really loved which is way outside “our colours” but I don’t care because she felt good in it.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This answer completely!

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told our mom's to wear whatever colours they wanted and whatever style dresses they wanted. They are the ones wearing it not me, I just want them to be comfortable.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have asked our moms to match so there is some sort of uniform look for everyone directly involved in the wedding. I don't think it's too much to ask that they respect your ideas and wishes for your big day.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes you just have to let it be and give in. I asked my mother in law to be in either dusty rose or navy to match our colors. I also asked for lace top and chiffon bottom to match my mom's dress and the bridesmaids styles. Guess what color she chose??..... Brown, yup! Brown. She calls in cognac but it's like a gold brown tree trunk. Its all...lace? Its not really lace but kinda like a grandma pattern lace like material. It has zero flow. I hate it, my fiance hates it. I was upset for the longest time but now I just accept it as it's what she is comfortable in.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally get it, I kind of want my mom, step mom and his mom to kind of coordinate with each other and the wedding. But my mom is not okay with my dad or step mom so I doubt that will work unfortunately.. but for you I agree with the others and think navy will look really nice. Talk to them see what colours they like and maybe help them all coordinate.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think navy will still look nice with the pink and purple. I think this whole matching parents to the wedding colours is relatively new. Before, family members just wore what they wanted. So, while it is nice to have everyone match, is that really the most important thing? I don't know what your relationship is like with her or how involved she has been with wedding planning. Maybe you or your fiance could talk to her and explain why you want her to match. She can explain why she wants to wear that dress. In the end, I think the most important thing is to respect her decision because you are going to be family after the wedding. Your relationship with her will last a lifetime but the wedding is only a day.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s nice to match but I’ve learnt that some people don’t feel confident in certain colours. I don’t know if there’s much you can do if she wants to wear a navy dress at least it’s not white lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics