Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Mom as a bridesmaid?

Tori, on June 17, 2018 at 00:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
So. My FH is wanting to have 6 groomsmen - and me being me, I want to have a matching side of bridesmaids. So far I have come up with my sister as my MOH and then 3 friends for bridesmaids. So now I have 2 more spots to fill. I thought maybe I would try and get closer to some of his friends or maybe my coworker and I could hang out outside of work?

BUT - then I thought, why not my mom?

I tried looking it up on google if this would be okay or "appropriate" but it only had mother of the bride as MOH - which is not my case. (Me and my mom are very close and I tell her EVERYTHING about my life. There are never secrets between us; she is truly one of my best friends.)

What is everyone's take on this? Has anyone done this?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Susy, on July 3, 2018 at 11:45
  • Susy
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Susy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is a very cute idea!

You don't even have to call her a bridesmaid, so she can still honorably be "mother of the bride" you can just have her match the rest of the girls!

The only thing you would have to think about is the duties of your mom on the wedding day.

My FH's mom and my mom will be taking care of a few things for us while were out doing pictures...if you don't need her to do things in between ceremony/reception she could be there with you and the rest of the bridesmaids.

It would make your wedding memorable to your guests..."Yeah Tori's wedding the one where she had her mom as a bridesmaid remember?!"

• Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My 73 year old grandma is a bridesmaid because shes one of the most important people in my life. So go for it
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's super cute! A girlfriend of mine had her mom as a bridesmaid and it was awesome to see!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see why not, but I agree that she doesn't need the 'Maid of Honour' title since she's already 'Mother of the Bride'.

If not, your co-worker and/or fiancé's friend(s) are a good option too (though they may be intimidated by the responsibilities of being a bridesmaid if they don't know you well. On the other hand, if they're up for the challenge, you potentially have two new life-long friends!)

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FIL was the best man in our wedding! Apparently it's a southern US tradition Smiley heart

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's sweet that you'd want her up there with you, but I think she already has a very special role in the wedding (mother of the bride!).

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I considered doing this but then I realized that if my mum is standing up there with me she cannot appreciate or view the wedding in the same way. I ended up opting to not have her as a bridesmaid and it worked out better for us.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting your mum up there with you though!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately that's what I'm thinking about my own mom :/

Everybody in this discussion has been super supportive and encouraging but this is what I'm worried about. It's not like I'm giving her the title of MOH, and she's already Mother of the Bride.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cute Idea! Knowing my mom, she wouldn’t go for it! Lol
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think there's anything wrong with it!

My future husband is having his dad as one of his 4 groomsmen. His parents got a divorce 5 years ago after 35 years together. He took it very badly and stopped talking for his dad for a year. I tried not to get too involved, but helped guide him to the decision that he wanted his dad a part of his life again, and in the last 4 years they have really tried to work on their relationship. He is asking him to be a part of his wedding party to put a final hand out and show how much he cares for his father and how much he really wants him to be a part of his life.

I think your mom will be honoured to be able to stand up with her daughter for her big day!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why not? My fiancee has opted to have his dad as his best man! It's YOUR wedding ... I say DO IT!! 😀
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can absolutely do this! It's your wedding. There's no reason you can't have her. I'm sure she would absolutely love it!
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it weren’t for my bestfriend I would have totally had my mom as maid of honor.. go for it! Nothing says you value your relationship more than that ❤️
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say go for it. I do not think there are any rules about having your mom be a bridesmaid. It’s your day and I say do what makes you happy Smiley smile I think that’s an awesome idea Smiley smile you can start a new trend.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The closest I've seen is my cousin's wife had her grandma as her MOH. I don't see why you can't have your mom as a bridesmaid! Your bridal party is supposed to be those closest to you, and one of those is your mom so why not?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics