Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Matching Bridesmaids Dresses? Keep or Cancel?

Lynnie, on September 16, 2019 at 09:49 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 41

Are you SO over seeing an army of bridesmaids wearing the exact same dress? Or do you still like the traditional uniform look?

It's time to vote on matching bridesmaids dresses! Keep or cancel?

Matching Bridesmaids Dresses? Keep or Cancel? 1

Photo from The Blush Parlour in Toronto

Next Question: "Here Comes The Bride"

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on October 31, 2019 at 22:15
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A bit of both. I love when the style of the dresses match but the colors are slightly different.

I'm also a big fan of one color different style.
    We're not having a bridal party, but if I had bridesmaids I would ask them to wear a black dress or jumpsuit. That way everyone is comfy and can pick something within their own budget/closet.
  • R
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so uncertain on this! I think it's a "cancel" for my wedding personally. We only have three in each side of the wedding party and I've been loving the mismatched look with one glitter, one floral, and one lace. Definitely still a solid l e w k and I wouldn't hate all the same dress.

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! I have my bridesmaids in the same style (which can be adjusted to many different styles - i.e. halter, strapless, one shoulder etc.) and my Matron of Honour has a different style - all the same colour.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep I like the look of everyone matching

• Tori
    Beginner May 2020 British Columbia
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! I only have my maid of honor and one bridesmaid, so I feel like mismatching will look off.
  • Vanessa
    Beginner October 2019 Texas
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have let everyone pick out what they are comfortable in. I even let them pick their color. Obviously they have some guidelines as to keep it appropriate. I also let the flower girls pick the style and color they want to wear. I just want everyone to feel pretty, comfortable, and to have fun on the big day!

• Meghan
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. all my bridesmaids are getting their own dresses (with my okay) within the colours of dusty pink to a dusk purple, but all have to be long and no sparkle

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kinda keeping. My maid of honour is in a different style of dress and everyone else is matching, but it's all the same colour.

• Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a decision for my bridesmaids! I’m going to give them my top choice of colour and they can go with that or I will give them a pallet to choose from - I’m pretty easy with style too
  • F
    Beginner July 2021 Alberta
    Fhybe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is exactly my problem right now. I want my Maid of Honor (my sister) to stand out so i suggested to my bridesmaids that they all wear the exact same dress. I just like the idea of them having a uniformed look. I think it looks more organized that way. However, they have different body types so I don't know if this is a good idea and i want them all to look good and comfortable. Any suggestion what style works for everyone?

• #GotmanTablefor2
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    #GotmanTablefor2 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am giving my bridesmaids parameters and letting them choose.

I'm asking that the dress be knee length or longer, and to have minimal exposed cleavage. Colour chosen together and flattering to everyone.

We are also getting married in a church, and they have a code of modesty which i also have to follow.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. We have a colour palette & we want to pre-approve what they choose, but I don’t really care what they wear 😂 we have 4 girls & 2 boys and each of them has a very distinct sense of style and I would rather have them be comfortable & having fun than forcing them to wear something ugly & itchy.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We kept this tradition...kinda... My girls are wearing the same dress in two different colours.

It also wasn't something that I demanded be kept. I would have been happy doing different style dresses but everyone just happened to love the same one!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kept-ish. Same colour and length, different styles
  • Renée
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Renée ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same color with different necklines. They all have different body shapes.
  • Flora
    Frequent user September 2021 British Columbia
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same colour different style. My 3 girls are completely different body types i want them to feel comfortable and beautiful in their dress
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. I only have a MOH but if we had more I would have given a color and let them chose the dress.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither. I only had one bridesmaid, so she was the only one in her dress. However, I like to think that if I were to have more bridesmaids, they would have been dressed the same.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. They'll wear the same colour but can choose different styles, as long as they're somewhat similar. Different body shapes = different dresses.

• Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep, sort of. One of my BMs is REALLY not into dresses. My sister has cerebral palsey (a very mild form, but she's a bit "crooked") and absolutely HATES dresses of any kind. So we're putting her in a suit. My colours are Sapphire, Silver and White, so she's getting a tailor-made sapphire suit with a white shirt. Not sure if we'll put her in a tie or just a pocket square. The other two girls will be in mismatched sapphire dresses, but both long.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! They all have the same dress in the same colour!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They’ll all be the same colour, but different styles!
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would keep this if I had a huge bridal party, but with only one it doesn’t matter.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! My 3 girls will be in the same dress. My OCD would have it no other way.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep (sort of)! It's matching and non-matching at the same time.

I have two gals and one guy on my side. Where the suit can't be an exact match (except for the tie and pocket square), it would have looked a bit odd to have three people in three different shades/outfits if the dresses didn't match.

I gave the gals right of veto on anything they absolutely hated (only request was not strapless), let them decide between the four colour options as a group (they didn't care), and we all went to pick the dresses together.

It also helped that both girls are roughly the same height and build so didn't have to worry about different shapes, heights, etc...didn't plan that, it just happened to work out that way! Smiley xd LOL

We are all doing Converse shoes for our feet but each person has a different colour...so matching and not-matching.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have a wedding party Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel - We didn't have a wedding party, but I'd like to think that if we had, each of my girls would've had different dresses.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're keeping this one. I only have 2 girls but they will both have the same dress.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have loved to keep this tradition, however it just wasn't feasible for us to do so I had all my girls in the same colour and length but they all had a different style Smiley smile It turned out great

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel! Our bridesmaids are in 2 colours, and each girl picked a different style

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel, I'm doing totally mismatched.

I want to make sure everyone feels confident and comfortable in what they're wearing

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. All my maids are having the same color but if they really wanted a different color from our pallete that would be ok. All different styles as well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics