Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Marriage License, Registration and Certificate

Holly, on May 22, 2018 at 23:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
So as some of you may know my FH are originally from Ontario, but now live in BC. We will still be getting married in Ontario. We are just curious about how getting a marriage license, registering the marriage and getting the certificate work when marrying in a province that you are not a resident of works.
We plan to talk to our officiant a bit closer to when we need to.
But just wanted to get a clearer idea of this now so that's why I decided to post here, figured someone must have some information on it.

Thank you 😊

12 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 4, 2018 at 01:46
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, this was helpful
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh okay that’s good to know, must be different in each province, here we both had to be there.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope - you don't both have to be there. Just need the main applicant and the two pieces of ID and signature from the joint applicant!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I currently live in the Northwest Territories but got married in Ontario. We visited Ontario over Christmas which was around 90 days before the wedding. If you won't be in Ontario until a few days before that is perfectly fine. They usually do it right there for you, as long as you have the paperwork completed.

In terms of getting your name changed. I just ordered our marriage certificate from Ontario, and they'll ship it to you wherever you live. As all of my ID cards are Northwest Territories, I'll be doing all the name change stuff here. I just received the marriage certificate last week (it took about 8 weeks to get it registered and sent). If you plan on staying in BC, you shouldn't have a problem just showing the certificate and changing all your IDs.

Feel free to message me as I'm in the name change process now.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's a form found online that you need to fill out with all the information from both of you. Then one of you can go to city hall and file the paperwork - whoever is going needs to bring ID from both people but you only need one body.

Apparently the process takes about 20-30 minutes (or so the Toronto website told me) but I guess it depends on where in Ontario you're doing it.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married

The license is valid for 90 days, so you can get it any day before your wedding really. Then most often the officiant will file it for you and you will be able to get your certificate from Service Ontario 30 days after. Again, so the website says.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As long as we can pick up the license when we are in town for the wedding and not like a month before then I think we're good! But the whole process is so confusing. We just wanted to know if it was worth doing the legal stuff in Ontario or just doing it here then do the non legal ceremony and such in Ontario. And then the whole name change process is going to be a whole different story 😣 lol Thanks ladies
  • Marcia
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I believe in Ontario you both have to be there to obtain the application. I had a friend who got married in a different province, but got their marriage license in their home town. But there wasn't any signing of the papers at their ceremony because they had already done it a week before their actual wedding.

• Marcia
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sorry wanted to add this link as well. Hope theres some helpful information in there.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I doubt it. When we went (this is Alberta though) we both had to be there, show our id and swear an affidavit. You do get the licence right away though, so you can apply for it the day before the wedding
  • Marcia
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe your marriage is registered in the Country/Province that it took place in. So if you are getting married in Ontario, you would need to apply for an Ontario license. Likewise if you were to have your wedding in BC, you would need to apply for a BC license. (to my knowledge). Here's a couple links with more information that might help.

https://smartexpat.com/canada/how-to-guides/family/weddings-civil-partnerships/marriage-requirements

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-forms-do-i-need-get-married-outside-ontario

https://www.weddingwire.ca/wedding-ideas/license-to-wed-how-to-get-married-in-canada--c187

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can we do it online? We won't be in Ontario until the wedding..
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You need to apply for the licence in the province you are getting married in. Pretty sure that means you’d be registered in ON and the certificate would be from ON as well

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics