Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daily
Expert August 2022 Ontario

Kids or no kids at the wedding

Daily, on March 16, 2022 at 19:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 64
Dear brides, are you guys doing adults only or inviting kids to your wedding? I have two kids so I am inviting some kids to my wedding. Like the closest friend kids and relatives. The youngest kid will be my sister’s 9 months old son at our wedding.

64 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on June 15, 2022 at 08:19
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having only my two nieces and my boyfriends 4 children, all teenagers. My cousins have smaller children ages 3-7 and I politely phrased in a way of "we are looking to give you a night out to enjoy yourselves!" : )

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive been to both weddings with and without. it is more common to have no kids present now more than ever, but ultimately it is up to your limiting the number is totally s good compromise as well. just make sure you are communicating this clearly with guests so there's no misunderstandings.

as a parent of 2 tiny terrors as i call them very lovingly haha a night off is always welcomed.

for our wedding we have opted for kids to attend until 9:30pm especially since our daughter is 7 and has been my little planning partnerSmiley heart & her dad and i couldn't imagine her and her little cousins and friends all being together. after wards one of the grandparents will be hosting an "afterparty" for any of the kids who wish to participate with a stop at McDonalds and all the sleep over style shenanigansSmiley heart

• Lilly
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Lilly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Many of my friends have children so we invited adults with kids. However, make sure to think about entertainment for them. We hired party characters for this purpose. Also, I download coloring pages from this website https://coloring-for-kids.com/ and bought a lot of drawing pencils. I have to admit everything was great!

• Luanne
    Beginner January 2023 British Columbia
    Luanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I don't have kids, and we want to keep our wedding small and under 70 people. For us, the only kids/minors at the wedding would be very close family members which would total: two teenagers, one pre-teen, one 7yo, one toddler, and one baby. If we were to add all kids either by family or friends, it would be at least 30 additional more kids, mostly under age 10. It was a tough choice to make but the best one for us. On the surprising side, our friends have said it will be no problem to find a sitter and have a child-free evening for our upcoming wedding - which is a great relief to my anxious mind.

• Rachay
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Rachay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping it small and intimate, so we are doing only adults. A few of our friends and family have a lot of kids, so we would reach capacity very quickly.

• Samantha
    Beginner June 2022 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely having kids at my wedding! I'm creating a little kids corner, small tent with some toys, books, and a little table & 2 chairs (from Ikea) for them to have a fun space! Also making little goodie bags with fun things to keep them occupied if they get bored!!

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww, that sounds lovely 😍
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will definitely be having children at our wedding. I couldn’t imagine getting married without my nieces and nephews present.
  • Lindsay
    Newbie August 2022 Quebec
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 2 kids aswell I am inviting kids. Don't understand why some wouldn't.
  • Kim
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve invited kids. I loved being included in weddings when I was a kid and I love seeing them at weddings. I’m really looking forward to their cute antics band wish more of our friends were bringing theirs. Personally don’t understand why some exclude kids unless it’s a headcount thing.
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 5 kids coming under 12, 3 grandchildren & 1 niece, 1 nephew
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahah!! Yeap!! The running part is a big no no! So those children better behave during my wedding😁😂😂. Just for the ceremony part. My family and friends know me well enough for that. 😁😂😂😂
  • Marsha
    Devoted July 2022 Ontario
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I prefer no kids at our wedding, however my FH has a 7yr old nephew which he is closed to and his Best Man kids. So I agreed to just those 3. I don't enjoy being at a wedding and seeing them running around. That's just my 2 cents lol. Even 3 a lot for me.
  • Audrey
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH has two kids (well teens) and didn't want then to be the only kids so we are including their cousins, so well have 6-8 teens. We restricted it to just immediate family's kids, otherwise our guest list (and costs) would have been significantly higher, we'd need a bigger venue, and tbh I just didn't want a wedding overrun with kids running around and parents having to cut the night early to get tired grumpy kids home to bed.
  • Jacquelynn
    Newbie July 2024 Ontario
    Jacquelynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us yes, we have a 5 year old who will be 7 by the time we say I do lol, and on my side I have neices and nephews and my fiances friends have kids also, so it gives her someone to play with aha
  • Amanda
    Beginner August 2024 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having kids a lot of family on my side have kids so there’s 12 of them coming
  • Nicole
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told guests no kids other than those in the wedding party— my son and niece.
  • N
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Nathan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to say no kids at my wedding due to the fact we are at more upscale restaurant for our reception so kids would probably not enjoy the food and we are opting out of a dance floor and want to have more of a social/mingle vibe after dinner which they will probably be bored. Now here is the problem... I only have one cousin that has actual kids (under 12) and my fiancee only has one aunt that is being invited that has under drinking age so I feel like it would be singling the out.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did not want to have kids at the wedding. However, three families did not have anyone to look after their children, so they came.

Cousin’s son was our ring bearer. Aunty came from Calgary with their son, and my hubby’s cousin had a year old baby. So those are all the children we had there.
  • D
    Featured September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having children at our wedding - a number of guests have younger children and as my fiancee's grandchildren may be in our wedding party, it wouldn't make sense to exclude other children. If other wedding guests choose not to bring them that's up to them, but the children will be invited.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww that’s nice! I think kids or no kids is totally up to the bride and groom
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don’t blame you! 20-30 kids might be too much 😂😂😜😜 best of luck to you and congrats on your big day!
  • Amanda
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are letting all our family who have kids know their kids are absolutely welcome to come (and already accounted for) but if they want to have a child free night we encourage that as well since our wedding is out of town. My MOH is my daughter so we invited her best friend. We are having a small wedding so whatever the parents want to do that will help them come celebrate with us we are on board for.
  • L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not allowing kids because, if allowed, we would have between 20-30 kids in attendance. That's just...too much. Also, a lot of my fiance's cousin's children are small and in my experience small children don't do too well at weddings. They get bored and fussy.

• Kate-Lynn
    Frequent user October 2022 Manitoba
    Kate-Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are allowing kids. We have a big family with lots of kids in different age groups. They are part of the family and we want everyone there. Kids can make the dance floor a lot more fun
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No kids at our wedding. We have some out of town guests who are bringing their kids as part of their vacation to come for the wedding and we are providing childcare for a select few for the night. We have had conversations with people about their children and politely asked them to not bring them.

We have a few friends either with new babies or who will have new babies by our date in August and they have already made plans. One of my FHs friends will have her baby a month before the wedding, we've added her mom to our guest list for the ceremony so she can attend have baby close. Worked out well for everyone.

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww that’s nice for giving the parents a choice 😁
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My nephew is youngest at 5 but he's been to a wedding before and he was well behaved. I left it up to parents if they wanted to bring kids.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see. 7 and 9 are not bad age. They’ll be on their best behaviour. I think I’m having 9 kids with my sister 9 months old baby.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since we have a 7 and 9 year old we are having kids. We want our children there but they would be so bored with only adults there. Even with that there will only be 9 kids total. Two them being teens. If we didn't have any children I don't think I would have children at the wedding.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fair enough since they hold 40 max. I’ll feel the same If I’m only have 40 people. Kids add up too
  • Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No kids except our own daughter (she will be 6). Our venue only holds 40 people max. I would rather invite more adults who will enjoy the food/drinks than give any seats away to children.

However, I don't have any nieces or newphews. If I did and was close with them, that might change my mind.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics