Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick

Keeping guests entertained between ceremony and reception?

Amanda, on February 26, 2018 at 11:53 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
So our ceremony is at 2 PM, and afterwards my TH and I will be off to take pictures (I'm assuming that'll take 2 ish hours, and then we're planning a casual meal at our home for our guests.
My question is, should I get everyone to head over to the house and have some form of entertainment planned for the 1-2 hours they'll be there or should I just indicate for everyone to come to the house closer to the meal time?
Easiest seems to get everyone to come over later, but do you find that puts an awkward pause in the middle of the day?
And if I get them to go over sooner, does anyone have any suggestions of things to keep a crowd of 25 occupied?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on February 27, 2018 at 13:24
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a 3 pm ceremony and hoping to do dinner around 5 /530 . Since our wedding is outdoors and at family property we are just setting out some beers and jugs of water and sangria etc . With a snack and some games for every one to play ! Like bean bag toss , giant x and o's maybe even beer pong. We haven't fully decided but there are tons of options on Pinterest .
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not having a break between ceremony and reception but if we were, I’d let them fend for themselves. These people are adults, so long as you’re wedding isn’t literally in the middle of nowhere, they can take care of themselves.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing cocktails and canapes between our ceremony and the lunch reception, but it's only for an hour and we're not changing venue so it makes it all easier.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our friends had a few hours break between their wedding ceremony and reception and we all found ways to entertain ourselves in the vicinity. I think you could easily have people show up at your place a little earlier for some games and snacks too.

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Perfect, thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to do a combo. Probably have some snacks and drinks at the house for anyone who wants to show up , and then just let them mingle and talk, but also announce the dinner time and when to show up at the house for the reception if they don't want to mingle.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a similar timeline. Ceremony around 2:30/3 then our reception starts at around 5 in-between that we will be doing our photos and we will set up a few things at the venue for them to keep occupied. Cocktails and appetizers, a few small activities such as photobooth. At this time we will also have all guests staying at the hotel to and check in to the hotel, then take the shuttle we set up to come back to the ceremony.
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have similar situation. 2 pm ceremony then photos and we set reception at 6pm. So what we're doing is have a cocktail party while we're taking photos. That way they are not super hungry, talk and get to know each other etc. We also have live music that will entertain them.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Similar situation. We are just letting our guests "fend for themselves". Honestly, I've been to many weddings and this whole "entertainment in between ceremony and reception" is a new thing within the past couple of years.

Before that, guests would mingle, or go to a nearby cafe or even go home/to their hotel if it was close enough.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics