Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Keep Or Skip Round 2 - The Engagement Party

Joey, on December 11, 2017 at 08:22 Posted in Before the wedding 0 50

We want to know what wedding customs and traditions you are keeping and which you are skipping. In this week's game, it's all about pre-wedding traditions.

Are you keeping or skipping having an engagement party?

Keep Or Skip Round 2 - The Engagement Party 1

Photo by Kat Rizza Photography in Toronto

>>Click here to go to the next question, Save The Dates?

50 Comments

Latest activity by Maegan, on October 6, 2019 at 16:00
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skipped! the night we got engaged my fh had both our immediate families (who have known each other for a long time) waiting at a restaurant for us after so we kinda had our own little celebration then. Besides that we didn't really know why we'd spend the money to have big party before the wedding.

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were doing this. It’s a good way to introduce our families before the wedding. Also my mom loves any excuse to host/throw a party
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipped this we just took our parents and grandparents out for dinner
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped this. Our move was immediately followed by us moving half-way across the province and selling our house...and my sister delivering a baby later in the year. Too crazy to try and cram something in we never were super interested in anyway.

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped this.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping this. Don't see the point for us. My sister had one and I enjoyed it. They used it as a way to ask their wedding party to be part of their day.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just had a Canada Day party for both our families, which served as a kind of belated engagement party.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He proposed on my birthday and had a surprise party planned, so it was kind of my birthday and engagement party.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely keep! My FH planned a surprise engagement party the day we got engaged. I’ll never forget it and it’s a very special memory for us. He kept it small, only closest friends and family (we were about 30 people, which is small in comparison to the size of our families). I think an engagement party gives everyone a chance to meet if they haven’t already! I’ve been to very formal engagement parties where invitations were sent out and 80+ people attended, and I’ve also been to ones that are just dinner at a restaurant or at someone’s house with like 5-10 people. All were really fun and represented the couple!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipped. The pre wedding party would cost as much as the reception.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped it, we do not have any family in town and they would have been the ones who wanted it.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped it. But we did a family bbq when we were finally able to make it back to my hometown.
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep it. We did ours already

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If we do an engagement party it will be a backyard bbq potluck style

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skipping this. Maybe once we move into our condo one year before the wedding, then we will have a friends get together so they can get to know eachother but otherwise we are skipping it.
  • Jocelyn
    Beginner April 2020 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a small gathering to introduce our families and I think that might be the closest we will get to an engagment party.

• Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have this, I don't think we really announced our engagement officially.

• April
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skipping. We just didnt see it as necessary. I guess im old school where these types of things like baby gender reveal parties are a little befuddling and odd to me. Plus, i dont want to spend any money on anything that really isnt necessary! And my 6 yellow and 6 orange adarondack chairs are totally necessary!! Hahahahhaha

• Brenna
    Beginner March 2018 Alberta
    Brenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a very short engagement and my husband works a two week on, two week off shift so we opted to skip the engagement party. We just went out to dinner with his family as my family lives on the other side of the country.

If you have time, I'd say go for it! Smiley smile It's a nice opportunity for people to meet each other pre-wedding.

• Christine
    Curious July 2020 New Brunswick
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are keeping this, and actually having two, and I am so excited! We are not getting married until July 2020, so we are going to have one this July, that will be all my FH's family (he has a huge family), and our friends. Then in either August or September, when my sister comes home for a visit, we are having a get together with just our Mom's and sisters. My FH is the only boy, and has 6 sisters, and I have 2.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping, we have lots of time and hoping to after we have our fence done this summer!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skip, at this point we've been engaged to close to a year and we don't live in the same province as all our close friends and family.
  • Arielle
    Devoted July 2020 British Columbia
    Arielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skip. The wedding is going to be one big party as it is.

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped this. We didn't feel like it was necessary.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kind of wish we did it. But FH said he didn't want to, so we didn't do it.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like it was really special for you guys!! That’s what I love about weddings. Very individual based on the couple.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t one. We didn’t feel it was necessary for us.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do one. I wasn't really sure the point of it to be honest.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did one a month after we got engaged. 1, his grandmother was dying and knew she wouldn’t make it to the wedding so we bumped it up. Unfortunately she had moved to hospice by then but she was able to see pictures and was happy for us. 2, our wedding is about 2 years from the day we got engaged so we wanted to keep the momentum going.

Im really happy we had one. It was a great opportunity for families to meet each other.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't done one and have been engaged for over a year now.. I don't think it'll be happening.

• Kait
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Kait ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we’ll keep it, but it will just be small and sweet. No big fuss. Our families have already started to meet each other, so it would really just be to celebrate the fact that we’re getting married!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Undecided! We got engaged right before the holidays and a lot of family events, so we honestly haven’t had the time to do one. Also, attempting to get our families together is a scheduling nightmare!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics