Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amber
Curious September 2019 Ontario

Is two hours too far?

Amber, on August 8, 2018 at 12:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 37

Hi guys,

I'm back with another dilemma!! I've been really driving myself mad lately, torn between continuing to plan a traditional, fairly big wedding out of town, or changing to an alternative option in the GTA.

The venue we've currently booked is in my hometown (London, ON) which is about 2 hours away from basically all of our guests except my parents and MOH. Originally we decided to have the wedding there because a) the venue is absolutely gorgeous and we love it, and b) we can't afford a Toronto wedding. FH's family and all of my extended family are mostly from the GTA/Barrie area. It's about a 2-3 hour drive for most of the guests -- but once they arrive, their hotel rooms are onsite, so they can drink and party and then just stumble to bed. I've booked off big blocks at a discounted rate to accommodate everyone and there are plenty of air bnb options if people really don't want to spend $$ on a hotel. Even still, I've gotten a bit of negative feedback from certain people, and now it's haunting me and making me unsure of the whole thing even though I really like the venue and have tried to make it a comfortable and easy experience for guests.

The only way FH and I can afford to keep the wedding in the GTA is by having a less traditional set-up. Like a very small ceremony + dinner with only immediate family and very close friends, followed by a big casual reception party where extended family are invited. We both have big families, and so having a fully intimate wedding is not really an option. They have to be included somehow, but we certainly can't afford to feed them all dinner and open bar with T.O. pricing.

SO... Thoughts? haha save me from my own brain!

37 Comments

Latest activity by Lor, on August 14, 2018 at 09:08
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We drove 14 hours to go to a wedding. of a friend. My family is driving 5 hours to come to our wedding. i have 5 FRIENDS flying in from Calgary and a few family members of his are driving an hour and a half. Its not unheard of and frankly its your day. if they want to be there, they'll be there. Dont stress out on that kind of detail, itll kill you. if you want to do it there, you should do it there.

And if certain people cant be there because of the distance... the wedding will still be happening, it would have just been nice to have them there, i get that. But this is for you. NOT them Smiley smile

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha you're right - they definitely complain no matter what. Thanks for sharing -- it's been really helpful to hear from other couples in similar situations so I can tone down the guilt!

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Smiley smile It is always helpful to hear from people with a similar situation.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine is minimum 4 hours for all of our guests. It is what we both wanted, which is all that matters. We gave lots of notice and expect most of our invitees to attend. If not, that is very unfortunate, but it is their choice. People will always complain, so just put that aside and do what you two want!

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our wedding 3 hours away from our hometown... None of our guests live where we are getting married.

I know you're worried about what people think but my opinion... at the end of the day it's your wedding. If you can't afford one in the city, don't do it. You only get married once - do what YOU want Smiley smile

People complain no matter what you do. & the ones who really want to be there will make an effort to be there.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There's nothing wrong with asking your family to travel a bit for your wedding!

My wedding will be two hours away from where I live and further for most of my family, but we do have some family there and there are lots of places to stay nearby.
  • Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw that's so nice that you'll be getting married there too then Smiley smile

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would stick with the venue that you have already booked - especially since it is gorgeous! Generally people need to travel to weddings, some longer than others, and that is just the way that things are.

I have never lived in the same city as any of family members, they all live at least an hour away in different directions, so trying to accommodate them is just not possible. The old fashion rule was that you got married in the brides hometown and everyone else just travelled there. I wouldn't worry about it, in the end just do what makes you the most happy.

• Ashley
    Beginner February 2020 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stick to the venue! You only get married once and you love this place. It’s not selfish, it is your day! No one should have an opinion. The people complaining will find other things to complain about. You want it to be a happy memory when you look at the pics you are paying for.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Windermere is absolutely gorgeous! I would definitely stay there lol.

My parents both worked at the Lamplighter long ago and that's where they met. They had their wedding reception there back in 1988 haha

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Forget Toronto then!!!! windermere is BEAUTIFUL!!! screw the haters! hahaha

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re already booked and love the venue I would definitely keep it! Two hours is not even bad!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our entire family will need to come from Ontario or Manitoba to our Nova Scotia wedding so 2 hours is nothing.

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you - I am definitely going to try to tune out the peanut gallery and stick to my guns! Our venue is the Windermere Manor Smiley smile

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's nice to hear from someone in a very similar boat - thanks for sharing! My venue is the Windermere Manor, with guest rooms on site at the venue as well as at Ivey Spencer right up the road (with a shuttle going there from my wedding).

The Lamplighter is also a beautiful place! My parents always recommend their friends from out of town stay there, and my family had a great Christmas brunch there last year.

Best of luck to you!! Congrats

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our friends provided buses to their guests and people STILL had the guts to complain about how 'far' it was. When those people complained either to us directly or when we'd overhear it, we'd tell them that we'd flown from Calgary (to Ottawa) and that is wasn't far for us, as we were happy to be part of the couple's special day.

People love to complain, and for some reason think that you should be catering to THEIR desires. It's YOU day...do what you want and stick to your guns!!

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry to hear you also went through family pressure - it can be really hard to stand your ground and you're right, sometimes for your own sanity you just relent. I hope you were able to find a local venue that you love just as much, and wish you all the best. I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter where you have it.

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much to all of you for your helpful comments and support! It made me feel so much better and less guilty!! I do want to stay where we are - and I am gonna do my best to tune out any negativity from now on and just stick to what we want to do Smiley smile Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say keep it as is. Two hours isn't that long if there's a place to stay, and only the people who really want to be there will make the drive.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is 4 hours away and on a Thursday!! Haha. Our parents and siblings have already booked, and same with a couple friends. I say stick with it! I’m ok with everyone not showing up, I get it. But we decided to do what’s best for us.
  • Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would stick with your London Wedding! People will complain no matter what you do. When planning my wedding, People complained at all and every option (Plus we are having a Thursday Wedding which did not go over well with some) Finally my Fiance just started saying "Don't like it? Don't come) Funny.... nearly everyone is coming!!

It's your day, keep up with what you have planned, don't change for everyone else! I doubt they would change for you.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had no complaints about the drive from my side or his side of the family except those who couldn't make it this far, didn't come. Majority of my family drove or flew from the states Mississauga (parents home) and still drove from Mississauga to the venue in Innisfil. I would say the same distance doesn't affect them to enjoy their stay or drive.

Your FH and yourself need to stand your grounds and be happy with your choices and not give anything up because of guests negative comments. They will show up if they truly love you and be there to support you all the way. Stay true to yourselves!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think 2 hours is far to travel for a wedding at all. All of our guests traveled 3-3.5 hours to attend our wedding and some people made comments about having to drive home the next day but otherwise didn't really care. I wouldn't let how others feel about it change your mind or your budget.

• Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stick to what YOU GUYS want! I’m in NB & people are flying from Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. If they really want to be apart of your special day, they will make it.

My cousin got married a few weeks ago and his venue was 7 hours away and people still showed up!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stick with the venue you have! London honestly isnt that far away! With so much advance notice people will plan and take the time to go out and celebrate your big day!! My cousin had a wedding 2 hours away to keep costs down and host on her MASSIVE property and it was great! Everyone made it out and it was a blast! My sole downfall was I had to work the next day so we ended up driving home that night (so no drinking for me but wasnt a big deal!)
    Stick to what you guys want its your day! It seems if you move to the GTA it will be solely to be for your guests and not for yourself which is the most important!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have it in London! That’s where you really want it. I grew up in southwestern Ontario and people don’t like to drive farther than they have to. But, now I live in Alberta where people will drive five hours for a supper! Your guests will be fine. They might complain but it’s not ridiculous or unreasonable to ask them to drive 2-3 hours to celebrate with you. They’re just “spoiled” because you live in a built-up area! Move North and driving 2-3 hours is nothing! (Nothing against southwestern Ontario or the people that live there!)
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns and stay in London. You've already booked it, plus your guests have the option to not go if it's too far for them. I can't imagine being a guest at a wedding and complaining about the location of it when I willingly chose to go to it.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stay in London! It's gorgeous and you have the hotel location so your 2 hour away guests can stumble. Two hours is nothing, I live in Northern Ontario but born and raised in London where our wedding is. If somethings is over 4 hours up north, that's when it's considered a long drive. Heck, I'd go to a wedding 8 hours away if I knew there was a hotel. If they really care about you, they'll come! Most of our guests live +2 hours away too but we chose London as it's a central location (FH family is in Windsor, mine's all over the place).

If you did it in T.O., you have to cut back anyways since it is that more expensive, so whether you have it in London or T.O. those guests might not be able to go either way.

Side note: where is your venue? It sounds like mine (The Lamplighter, nice hotel)

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If people are going to grumble about driving two hours and staying in a hotel, they're being dickheads. That is NOT an unreasonable ask AT ALL.

Do the wedding you want. The people who matter will make it work.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you and FH love your venue. and you can have all the people you want at the wedding budget wise. do it! travelling 2-3 hours for a wedding is NOTHING nowadays (I always find Toronto people get bent out of shape traveling outside the GTA).
    and London hotels are so much more affordable than anything in the GTA.
    you do you at the end of the day! if the venue is great. and you are confident. then done! (what venue is it)

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like others have stated, it's your wedding and you should do what you feel good about. People aren't forced to come either, of they think it's too far or too expensive they don't have to come.
    And a two hour drive really isn't that for to begin with.. For most of our guests its a 9 to 10 hour flight. I do feel uncomfortable about it, but I too try to tell myself people can make up their own mind about if they want to come. We also state it in our invites that we'd love then to come but we can totally understand it's way too far away for them
  • L
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had this same discussion with my FH when originally planning because I was looking at a lot of venues in Muskoka, and all of our family is Toronto/Niagara area (several of his older family members didn't even make the drive from Niagara to Oakville for my shower). I basically told him that if they can't take the time or effort to get there then I don't want them there anyways ! This is your day to celebrate with those you love and in the end you want the guests to be people who really WANT to be there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics