Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Monica
Devoted June 2019 Ontario

Invitations

Monica, on March 23, 2019 at 19:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23
Hi guys!

When wording your invites, did you include the names of your parents as well? Or did you choose to write bride and groom’s names?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 04:56
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Monica,

If your families are helping out with the wedding, definitely include their names on the invitations. If they aren't helping, but you still want to honor them in a special way, add their names in. Or you could just write something along the lines of "Together with our parents *insert names*, you're invited to the wedding of *you and fiances name*. Plenty of templates online with wording to help you!

• Lolita
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Lolita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi, you should write just names of bride and groom.)

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just put our names since although our parents are helping us pay for the wedding (in the ways of, they're giving us a set amount of money), they're not hosting and planning the wedding.

• Monica
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I got them from Vista. Quality is great for the price and they have lots of beautiful designs. Really like that you can customize it to your liking as well
  • V
    Newbie September 2019 British Columbia
    Vienna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I heard a lot of ppl used them but I designed my own invites and also have specific printing requirements so I got them printed at a vendor at Alibaba.

• V
    Newbie September 2019 British Columbia
    Vienna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I included both parents' names even though we pay for our own wedding just to pay respect to them.

• Jennifer
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Where did everyone get their invites? Wondering if anyone has used Vista Print or Minted?
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did not include our parents names as my parents have divorced and both remarried and my FH parents are still together. we kept it simple and just wrote "together with their families"..

• Emma
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I had our invitations read: Bride Name & Groom Name, together with their parents Bride Mother & Bride Father and Groom Mother & Groom Father invite you to share their joy as they join in marriage on.....

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not choose to include our parents name on the invitation, this was a personal choice. It is completely up to you on this part! There was an area where we could write our names and we did so in those areas

• Monica
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Vinod! Some of my relatives are way too traditional for me and always have something negative to say.. they have been talking amongst themselves that we did not include my parents name.. makes me quite upset and I know it shouldn’t because I’m the end, it’s our day and we do it the way we want.. but relatives can be so frustrating sometimes! My parents are totally fine with not having their names on the invites lol. It’s just the extended family that always has something negative to say! 🙄
  • M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents are very traditional, so they wanted their names on our invitations (they also gave us a lot of money for the wedding). I felt like we then needed to be fair to all the parents, so we put Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents, Mr. and Mrs. Grooms dad and step mom, and Ms. Groom's mom. It sounds like a lot of names, but it did work and made everyone happy.

Originally I just wanted our names, but I knew it meant a lot to my mom to have their names. At the end of the day, it wasn't a battle worth fighting, and everyone was happy with the result.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Technically, it’s whoever pays for it. Our parents pitched in, so we put (my name) and (husbands name) along with their parents invite you...
    but, I had a friend whose parents paid, so their invitations read (brides parents) invite you to the wedding of their daughter (brides name) to (grooms name). Another friend, her and her husband paid it all themselves, so they said (brides name) and (grooms name) invite you...
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wrote our names and "along with our parents"

no names for them.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't let your guests say what they feel is to be done. Its you the couple who decides what can be done and how you want to look at the way you phrase it. It also depends if the parents are contributing to the wedding that you want to include both sets of names or just one family.

We just did the same you did as to the grooms names keeping it simple. No one said anything or in anyway that was bad. When it comes to other families, they may feel disappointed if their names as parents are not on the invites. It will hurt them, though at the end of the day its all about their kids big day.

• Monica
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all your reassurance, ladies!! We put just our names but some family members were making comments that parents names should be included... made me double think our invites and got me stressing, since we’ve sent them out and too late to change..
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just put our names on it. We did it that way because we were the ones paying for it.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We also just put "and families" for the sake of having less writing on the invites. Some parents are a little more old fashion and like to have their names on the invitations so you can always ask them what they would prefer as well.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just went with “together with their families” because everyone’s kind of pitching money into the wedding so it seemed fair without being a novel
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the vibe of your wedding.

If you're going for the traditional/formal feel, then adding the parents' names is customary.

Since we're going for a casual feel, we're putting "together with their families" and only using our first names, instead of our full names.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re going to put our parents names. It’s tradition and I just really like it!
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think including your/his parents name is very traditional and i think only included if they are paying for the majority of the wedding. We didn't include our parent's names on the invitations.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our invitations, we put "together with our families" and then both of our names.

It kept the amount of wording to a minimum so the invites don't look like a huge essay lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics