Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lucy
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Invitation Wording - both parents deceased

Lucy, on February 11, 2018 at 11:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

My fiance's parents have both passed away and I'm not really sure how to word our invitations. All the advice I've found only give examples for one deceased parent. The basic wording will be something like:

Bride's parents wish to invite you to the wedding of their daughter, Lucy to Groom, son of Groom's dad and Groom's mum.

Do I put late in front of both their names? It there a plural to indicate they are both gone?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 12, 2018 at 19:46
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Late is put in front of the deceased names. As an Indian receiving and invitation, there are the families from both sides reprrsenting their kids and part of them are the grandparents.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think saying something like "together with their families..." or "The families of BRIDE and GROOM invite you to celebrate...". We didn't include parents on ours. It stated "Erin and Nicholas request your presence as they exchange vows".

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would talk to your fiancé about this. If your parents are helping to pay, I would include them on the invitation and then for his parents put "the late" in front of both their names. But, if your parents aren't helping you pay, you wouldn't include their names either.

We are saying "together with their parents" on ours, so you could also do that or even "together with their families" might be better in this situation.

• J
    Beginner July 2018 Ontario
    Jaln ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The forums on The Knot are really good at helping people come up with good invite phrasing. You might try there too!

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I left parents out of it, we have a more casual wedding so my invitations say "brides name and grooms name invite you to their wedding!"
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're putting "Together with their families, BRIDE NAME and GROOM NAME ask you to celebrate their marriage"

Both our parents are divorced, my parents have contributed financially but I don't want to ignore his parents so this was easiest.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also on our invites because we are paying for the whole thing, we didn't include our parents names at all. We just worded it as "the honour of your presence is requested at the marriage of"......... If you decide to leave the parents names out, instead of wedding favours you could make a donation to whatever organization your grooms parents believed in and/or if they passed away from a particular sickness you could donate in their honour.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousins now husband's mom had past away and they included her on the invitation by wording is as "the late Jane Smith" for example.

• Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This. 100%.
    My mom is no longer with us, and we found this was the easiest way of wording it!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could completely leave out the parents part. We don't have the same situation as you, my parents are divorced so that is why we are not mentioning parents on the invitation. You could put "Bride and Groom joyfully invite you to celebrate........"
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could also write something like:
    “kindly join us for the wedding celebration of” and then your names. Leaving out the parents’ names altogether.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics