Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Esaba
Newbie August 2020 Ontario

In need of some advice!

Esaba, on March 2, 2019 at 01:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hey guys! So, I don’t have a very large budget and it seems everything costs way too much. Any advice on what I can make myself or do myself to save some money?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 06:32
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can make your own signage, table numbers, centerpieces and flowers. Real flowers are expensive if you don't purchase at a wholesale so if that's not an option and you really want to save a chunk of your costs, try making your own silk flower bouquets (watch some youtube videos).

Don't opt for open bar, instead provide drink tickets to limit the cost of your alcohol spending.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lots of good advice here so I will just add one thing we did. Our centrepieces were potted flowers (pots were $0.79 at ikea, some spray paint, tulle and my mother-in-law grew the flowers). We first used them down the ceremony aisle, then had friends move them onto the tables for the reception and then we asked each couple to take one home as their favour. One thing, three uses! We had very minimal decor besides that. We also had a few larger planters that we used on the welcome table as decor
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of the first things people told us to do was cut the wedding list (our list is over 300 but the biggest venue we could find was for 250).

I say no! Cut what isn't the most important!!

Make your top 3 important things and go from there as to what you can cut/DIY.

One of the main things though will be to have a cash bar instead of open/host. That and making it a backyard wedding rather than going to a hotel where you pay $80 a plate. Basically food and booze is where you normally spend the most money.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First prioritize your wedding “must-haves”, then you’ll get a clear picture of what’s important and non-compromising to you. After that, you can see what is less important and be able to save a bit on those.

For us, fancy wedding favours weren’t important, so my aunt is making baked goods for that, we don’t have a theme, therefore, we don’t need tons of little decor details, no transportation since everything is nearby, TINY bridal party so we don’t have to spend lots of money on gifts for people (among other reason), etc.

Best of luck to you!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your engagement! Welcome to the Wedding Wire community!

Consider making your own centrepieces, and doing electronic save the dates and invitations to help save on costs.

Where DIY is concerned I think you have to play on your strengths, so you don’t end up a viral #nailedit meme. Sometimes the effort/cost in a DIY outweighs the savings.

That being said - If I could DIY things for my wedding, I’d grow my own flowers, and bake/decorate my own cake.

As it stands, we’ve done electronic save the dates and invitations, and I’m doing my own makeup and hair.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm using DIY as a way to offset costs of hiring a decorator - we're doing our own centrepieces, stationary, etc.

We also didn't hire out transportation since our ceremony/reception is at the same venue, and there is a place to take awesome photos!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this advice! If it doesn't spark joy, cut it!

Also, we tried looking for as many small business vendors as possible - people trying to get a foot in the door of the wedding business, looking to expand their profile, etc. We also have asked family and friends to lend their talents where possible. And if you can DIY anything, go for it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When looking at wedding costs, purchases vs. rentals have their ways to keep low and no storage at the end.

Purchases bring up the costs and increase the budget, also having to store in your home and to transport when needed making a few trips. Size also matters when thinking of centerpieces overlooking other guests and with décor set in the hall.

Rentals allow you to cut low on your cost and budget putting less for more and comes to the same price as making the same purchase. Looking at the time and transport makes it easier for pick up and drop with saving space at home or no storage.

Here was my concept and kept it low key with its simplicity including the backdrop idea.

The first photo is of the centerpieces: square vases with floral ball keeping to the theme with the colour (coloured water beads and LED water lights) adding that little touch. The table numbers were purchased knowing I wanted different heights. Money box was also rented which my dad brought to my attention and forgot about and all the cost came out less than $150 (centerpieces with floral ball & money box).

The second photo is of the backdrop we rented keeping it simple and easy to install ourselves within minutes. These were rentals costing under$100 each.

Anything else wedding related, if the budget fits and the cost is right, then your not breaking your bank. The opposite of cost fitting the budget seems high, then its better to ask about renting basis.

A small package or bag of chocolates/candies if not going to route of gifts for favours will also be saving.

Hope this helps when shopping around.

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! If you are working with a small budget, then cut the non essentials. Take the Marie Kondo approach - do you really need wedding favours? elaborate centrepeices? personalized place cards? string quartet? What are the things that you feel good about cutting out?

I had downloaded the Knot app when I had first started planning, and tried their premade list of must includes/to do items. I immediately deleted nearly 3/4 of the suggestions. Not only are all of the finer details expensive, but they are stress-inducing!

If you haven't booked your venue, you could consider choosing somewhere beautiful that needs little to no decorations. We are having our wedding at a floral conservatory, which is significantly more beautiful and cheaper than a hotel or banquet hall. Also, the quickest way to reduce the cost is to consider a dry wedding - the cost of wine, signature drinks, and corkage fees can add up very quickly! Smiley winking

Just think about the parts that are really important to you both, and focus your time, energy, and money into those! Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics