Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Curious September 2018 Ontario

How young is too young?

Jennifer, on January 11, 2018 at 16:41 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 29
In this day and age i feel that it is more normal to get married in your late 20s. My fiance and i met when i was 18 he was 22. Im now 21 and he is turning 25 next month. We have been living together for a year and a half. We are eachothers best friend and have known that we would get married since 6 months in. But im still wondering what people think of getting married at my age?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Katrin, on January 2, 2019 at 10:37
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's totally fine! I am 23 and my fiancé is 27 (so just 2 years older than you guys) and I don't think it matters. If you know, you know. Plus a wedding is just a big fun party, really. Just have fun, relax, and love the planning and the day.

• Thomas
    Newbie November 2019 Ontario
    Thomas ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just be happy with your partner and never mind. Relax your wedding, hire some good musician this web-site and try to enjoy your day! There are many things in our life that are WAY MORE important...

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Age doesn't matter. I got married for the first time in my early 20's. We had been together for a while too and had a child together. We just didn't end up working out in the end. I am now 32 and get married again in 4 months. I can say this time around does feel much different. I know exactly what I want out of life and won't settle like I feel I did last time. I was still learning who I was when we got engaged in my 20's and had just gone through a huge transformation in my life (moved from home an hour and a half away from my family, lived on my own and started working 2 full time jobs). If it feels right then who cares! I was young and dumb and felt pressured to get married to my ex (it's a long story). All that matters is that you're happy and you can honestly see yourself spending your life together with your fiance Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's a matter of age, I think it's more between the couple. I always feel a little judged when I go to bridal shows and people see how young I look, and I even had one awful vendor tell me that I looked much too young to be married and wouldn't even give me her business info! I laughed because it's sad when people react that way. My fiance and I met when I was 16 and he was 17, we've been dating 5 years now and engaged almost for 2 years. Age is nothing but a number, it all matters on what you two think. If you're both ready for the commitment then go for it!

• Danielle
    Newbie June 2018 New Brunswick
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm 24 years old... i honestly don't care what other thinks about getting married at your age? if you're emotionally mature, then do it when you feel so ready.... don't do it if you're not ready to get married.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with most others on here when I say that age is nothing but a number. My fiancé and I met when I was 21 (him 23) and by the time we get married I will be 31 and we will have been together 9.5 years and living together for 6. We’re doing things based on what felt right.
    I think there’s something sweet about getting married younger tho. I’m excited for my wedding, however, if I were 25 and getting married I might be more into it tbh. Now at this point I’m being more practical and conservative lol
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just turned 30, but I wish i hadn’t wasted so many years. Get married when it makes sense for you, emotionally and financially. It’s your life and know when you want to take that step. Don’t let other people tell you when is right.
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sometimes i wonder the same, as i am 22 and he is 23 , but , we started dating when we were was 16/17, i think the fact that we have been together so long that we've been through enough together to know that anything can be thrown at us and we will figure it out one way or another together. Some people that don't know us think we are too young, but all of our friends and family basically said "its about damn time". I also find this a normal age to get married at since my parents were the same age as i will be when i do it ! i think if you guys are ready it definitely shouldn't matter that your are the age you are.

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH will be 23/24 when we get married in fall. We've been together 5 years and have 2 kids.
    Getting married young just means you get to spend more of your life together , which obviously you want if youre getting married
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's not age that matters it's how you make it work. I always wanted to get married when I was younger but that didn't happen I was with my daughters father for almost 6 years and I'm glad I dodged the bullet there now as I was in an abusive relationship but that's all I knew from him. My parents warned me to get out many times but I didn't listen it would get better. But my FH and I am now 29 and he will be 33 when we get married this year. I don't know why I couldn't of found him sooner he has shown me what love is and what I deserved from the beginning including my daughter. My parents got married at 20 and 21.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Age doesn't matter! If your ready, your ready! As long as you love each other and are committed to spending the rest of your lives together, that's all that matters
  • Denai
    Curious June 2019 Alberta
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think when you know you know. People will ALWAYS have their opinions but who cares. If you both know you want to get married then who cares?! Get married! I am 21 and my fiance is 22 and we are getting married next year so we will be 22 and 23.

We are young so we are not incredibly financially stable yet so we are waiting another year so that we can be able to pay the bills every month and be prepared for a baby if that ends up happening. Also, we are sort of cheaping out on the wedding a bit, its important to us but we can't afford to spend heaps on things that most brides would because we are both university students. There are pros and cons of getting married young but if the only thing holding you back is someone's opinion then do it anyway.

• Mikayla
    Newbie February 2018 Alberta
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im 20 and was engaged at 19 my fiance is 25. were getting married feb 3rd. And this was the exact same age and age difference as our pastor and his wife. Id say when you know you know and if you are already living together. Its just do it instead of playing house!💍i hope you two the best !!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't beleive age plays a role. Its love and connection of the couple that does play the role.

I didn't even think i would get married ever and was alone in my 20's. If it wasn't for my husband i would have kept to being single after 30.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you are too young at all. If you know, you know and that love will be there regardless of age. I was 29, almost 30, when I got married because I had so much change in my life between 21-24. I met my husband when I was 24 and he was 26. He was a mature student at university and I had just started my career. We knew early on that we wanted to get married but wanted all our ducks in a row first.

I think people will always judge others for some reason and you cannot let it bother you.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why should age matter? You love each other and you wanna make it as official as it can get! 20, 30, 60... same thing if you have found your life partner Smiley smile
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I will both be 24 when we get married. I have a friend who is 20 and her fiance is 19 and they get married in May. Age doesn't matter and I don't think people care these days.
  • Kellie
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Kellie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you are too young to get married. My fianceé and I will both be 23 when we tie the knot and everyone has been super supportive of us!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have friends who have gotten married at a young age and are now divorced, but I also have friends who are married to their high school sweethearts and have been together for 10+ years.

It's less about the age and more about where in life you're both at and if you have similar goals.

My ex and I were not in the same place, he was 21 and I was 20: He had a full-time job and bought a house, when I was going back to school to do my undergrad and was working part-time. He wanted to start a family right away and I wanted to wait a couple of year AFTER being done school. So naturally, we broke up. He later met his wife, with whom he has 2 kids. I met my FH during my last year of undergrad, when we both were figuring out the next chapter of our lives. We got engaged 6 years later (last April) at the age of 30 and 34.

People are going to judge you no matter what you do or choose not to do. It doesn't matter what they think! Smiley winking

• Natasha
    Newbie September 2018 Alberta
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you are too young at all. We are getting married in September and I'll be 22 and he will be 23. As long as you are happy together I don't think anyone should judge what age you are getting married at Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you are too young I'm only 2 yrs older than you and I'll be getting married at the age of 23 and FH will be 34 Smiley smile As long as you are happy who cares what age you tie the knot.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it is too young. I agree with a lot of people that getting financially stable and set in your career is a big factor for a lot of people and happening later in life these days.

For me - I didn't really know what I wanted till I was 25. 25 hit and I had a better idea of who I was and what I wanted and where I wanted to go and who to spend it with. My fiance said it was sort of the same for him. We met when were were 25 and felt both of us had evolved as people a lot between 20 - 25. I'm glad for me that we're 28 now, but if I was more self-assured I would have been fine getting married when I was younger!

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My DH and I met when we were 25, and six months in we knew we wanted to be with each other forever. We would have been married sooner, but we had to save up for a wedding and we had a long engagement!

I think people are just getting married later in life because they wait until they are done schooling and want to be more financially stable. People stay at home much longer now with the rising costs, and that probably plays a huge factor in the average age people get married at now.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My son and his wife got married young. Mid 20’s. They have been with each other since they were 15-16 years old. My son just turned 30 a few weeks ago and he is still very happy. 😊❤️
  • Kal
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Kal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are on our 6th year together. We are getting married in July of 2019 so I will be 26 and he will be turning 28 later in the year. BUT we have 2 children together that take up a lot of our time & money haha otherwise we would have been married this summer!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve just turned 20 and my fiancé is 25 later this year. I’ll be almost 22 when I’m married. But I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve been with him since I was 17. We’ve lived together for 7 months now. Realistically people can judge all they like but we know where we stand. And I don’t want to wait for another 5 years just because everyone else thinks I’m too young. My parents were the only people who I was worried about. And even then, they got married at 22/23 and they know me and my fiancé, and all my mum’s concerned about is being involved in the planning! If you and your fiancé think you’re ready, then you’re ready and who cares what everyone thinks? It’s not like you’re rushing into things, you’ve made the decision because you know what you want.
  • Diyana
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Diyana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's not about how old you are but how much you love each other! Grant and I are only 23/24 but if we were finanacially stable earlier/had our careers going we would have done it sooner Smiley smile

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The sad reality is that people will judge you regardless of whether you get married or not... You need to make your decision based on what is best for you and your FH and if that means getting married young then go for it!
    I have lots of friends who married young and it was the right choice for them Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too young. I always wanted to get married at a young age, but didn't meet my match until my late 20s. What's important is finding someone you love, get along with, your family loves and gets along with and someone you can picture spending your lifetime with. If you found that young, that's great--you get more years together!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics