Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

How will you react if it rains on your wedding day?

Sarah, on April 10, 2019 at 15:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
I’m just curious if anyone else would love it to rain on their big day?I have always heard people freaking out if it rains on their wedding day that it’s bad luck 🤔 personally I would love it!To me it feels like all of the people I have lost would be crying tears of happiness upon us and I don’t mind puddle jumping for a few photos in my $1800+ dress lol.I will have an umbrella or two and possibly some cute as heck rain boots but I’m not going to the extreme of renting a tent or having a back up ceremony spot.The wedding is in August so chances are low of any rain ☔️ how are you preparing for weather?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Stiffra, on April 15, 2019 at 19:23
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since both my ceremony and reception venues are indoors, it won’t bother me so much but I’m not going to lie, it would be an annoyance lol
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! If you can't make the best of rain how will you make the best of really tough times in the future!

Honestly I'm kind of hoping for overcast on our wedding day! SO much better for photos and wont be blinded by the sun!

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is in a week or so, looks like it's a mix of a day. Doesn't matter to me. Rain is my favorite, I absolutely love it!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It did rain on my wedding day! It was sunny in the morning. We had the venue set up the chairs outside. By two o’clock, a big rain cloud blew over our venue. There was a giant crack of thunder right before the ceremony started and it started to rain just before I walked down. We said our vows in the rain. The wind blew our marriage licence off the table (luckily into the crowd!) and I saw guests leaving their seats and huddling under the roof to the side of the ceremony. I then suggested we move inside. We finished the ceremony in front of the buffet tables! The best man and a friend brought in the arch (as the pastor was talking!) and placed it behind us. A few people pulled up chairs but most stood. By the time the ceremony was over, it was sunny again! It then started raining during photos and stopped as soon as we got back to the venue! And then it was sunny for the rest of the evening! It was definitely an entertaining wedding and people still talk about it nine months later!
    I had no problem with the rain! Can’t control the weather.
    The thing I got sick of though was everyone saying it’s good luck to have rain on your wedding day. I’m not superstitious so I don’t believe that we have a great marriage because it rained!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually wouldn't mind that much! Rainy days are my favourite kind of weather. The only thing we'd have to change would be our photos. I'm thinking we could do them at the church, since it's pretty grand.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great idea! I will now be on the hunt to find some. Thank you!
  • Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you have time to get clear (or cute) umbrellas for the wedding party? Those would work in rain or snow, then you can get at least a few quick outdoor pics Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like tempting fate and saving money so I won’t be renting any tents 😆 I might be nice and suggest people dress for the weather as rain or shine the wedding ceremony is outside.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I remember my cousin crying the night before her summer wedding years ago because there was a storm and I remember everyone freaking out while I was excited for the possibility of rain 🤷‍♀️ The weather turned out perfect and her marriage failed a few years later so I don’t think weather has any control over the outcome of the marriage.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rain can be considered good luck if anyone believes in that superstition. Most venues always a back up plan in case of rain.

Alternative is putting up a tent in the case of outdoor bad weather occurring and having your guests dry.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bad luck??? I've heard it's good luck! Like anything that seems "bad" that happens on your wedding day and you power through it is suppose to make your relationship stronger!

I'll deal with it! We are going to a park for photos but rain isn't the end of the world, no use stressing and being upset over something you literally cannot control. It's what you make of your day!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be sad because my FH put a lot of work and such into making a bunch of lawn games for the guests to play. Also there aren't a lot of great places to get photos done inside our venue so we are relying on the weather being nice enough to get pictures around the grounds (though my photographer said in the forested area there are lots of sheltered places so it might be ok)

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hope all of you lovely ladies have beautiful weather for your big days.I’m just happy to be marrying my best friend and nothing will ruin that for me ☔️♥️
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also an August bride here and I’m a little scared of rain, but if it happens, it happens. There’s nothing I can do about it and it will make for some interesting pictures lol.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here's how I'd like to react: Roll with the punches and be confident in our 'Plan B'.

How I'll probably react: Doubt our 'Plan B', worry about the amount of space we ACTUALLY have on the covered deck, start thinking about all of the things we won't be able to do (outdoor ceremony, fire pit).

Smiley xd

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    According to the forecast it’s going to rain and snow most days until my wedding. (15 days away) and I’m totally bummed about it. I wanted to get a lot of outdoor photos because will be in the Rocky Mountains. I really don’t want my hair and make up to get ruined after spending a fortune getting it done.haha. So I’m trying to make the best of it. I was so excited for the photos though.
  • Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get married in 17 days and I am fairly certain it will rain that day haha (ahhhh April)

I would REALLY rather it didn't rain, but if it does I will be ok with it. I bought clear umbrellas for the wedding party...so as long as its not raining too hard, we can do at least a few outdoor pictures.

I ended up booking an indoor photography studio for an hour for the day of too...it was very inexpensive, so if we don't end up using it that is ok, but at least I have the peace of mind knowing that we have a cool indoor option other then the venue.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think most people would prefer it not to rain but it's out of our control so you will just have to roll with it. I love your analogy of rain being tears from heaven!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Huh, I've only ever heard people say rain on your wedding day is GOOD luck...

I mean, I would prefer it to not rain on my wedding - but that's because I really want to have bonfires and not many people want to stand in the rain for that.

We want it to have rained in the past week or 2 prior to our wedding to prevent a fire ban, but as for the day of - I would rather have snow than rain. If it does look like it may rain on our wedding I'm sure we will ask our DOC what to do and hopefully she will point us in the direction of a rental company for a tent or we will get married in the pavilion Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics