Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leanna
Curious September 2019 Alberta

How to Tell Someone They Are Not Invited

Leanna, on August 20, 2018 at 13:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
I have a co-worker who assumed from day 1 of my engagement that she would be invited to the wedding. I went along with it without much thought as she was so excited and we talk about the wedding now every day. The more I think about it though, I dont want her to come. She is very judgemental and critical of everyone (especially when it comes to weddings I've discovered) and we aren't friends outside of work. How do I tell her now (10 months later) that she is not invited? I dont want to make things weird or uncomfortable at work. Do I lie and say it's a budget issue or that my FH and I decided not to invite coworkers? I can't imagine us being friends or staying in touch should one of us leave our job. I'm so nervous about it I'm thinking about texting her first before talking in person, is that rude? It would make me feel a lot better. Help!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Leanna, on August 24, 2018 at 10:15
  • Leanna
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help everyone! It came up naturally in conversation again, and I told her with budget constraints she "may" not be invited. She took it very well and said "it's fine take me off the list". I know reading that sounds like she was mad, but in person it came across much better. She was very sweet about the whole thing.

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really think you have an obligation to explicitly say you aren't inviting her. I talk wedding with a co-worker, but she's never asked for an invite. I can't imagine myself asking someone "When am I getting my invite?"... that kind of blows my mind.

I think that if she asks you point blank, you can give the parents white lie answer, but I don't think you have to initiate that conversation. Maybe you just claw back the amount of wedding talk, and just say you are tired from all the planning, you just don't want to think about it/talk about it for a bit. She may get the hint.

Worst case scenario is that you send your invites out, and she asks about it, and you just need to tell her the parents lie, or mention you are not inviting co-workers. She shouldn't have an expectation to go unless you've told her she should be expecting an invite.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can see your point in a case where you have a super excited work friend that clearly supports you, but OP mentioned in the comments her co-worker is very judgmental and not all that close to her outside of work. And I don’t know specifics, but she also mentioned that her co-worker makes comments and then says she won’t judge her wedding. Idk, something about that seems snarky like “this one wedding I went to served chicken - GROSS, but don’t worry I won’t complain if you serve chicken.” I feel like her attending and then gossiping about / judging OP’s wedding to other co-workers would do more harm to their work friendship than her not attending at all, but that’s just me!
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It doesn’t sound like she ever told the coworker she was invited. It sounds more like the coworker is just assuming she is. She has no obligation to invite her and especially if it’s explained that they are limited as to who is invited it should not cause an issue. Nobody should let anyone guilt them into inviting them.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Different opinion here. Just invite her. It's one person. You can let her know that unfortunately she can't bring a plus one. I think it's too late now to say she's not invited. 10 months is a long time to think you are going to someone's wedding. If you do let her know, I do think it will hurt her feelings and affect your working relationship. I invited my coworker because we talked wedding all the time. I'm glad I did. Even though we don't hang out outside of work. Just knowing his personality, he would've taken it hard if I had talked with him about everything and not invited him. My guess is your co-worker has similar insecurities and would feel similar.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your co worker needs to know that yoy and FH aren't inviting anyone from work and numbers are full. Don't give any other information about your wedding even if she's wanting to pry about it.

I used to talk about our wedding at work and my boss was always getting sick of hearing it.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you have to stop talking to her about the wedding planning if you don't want to, especially if she's prying for details. It'll be weird if all of a sudden you start dodging her questions. There's bout 4 girls in my office getting married in the next year, and we're all swapping ideas and sharing vendors. Not gonna lie...its pretty fun chatting weddings lol.

I do have one coworker who I'm friends with at work, but not really outside of work, and she says on a pretty consistent basis "I wish I was going to your wedding", which is SUPER awkward because I'm not sure we'll have room to invite coworkers. But I think some people are just curious and want to know the details because they're excited for you.

Maybe just hint that, judging how numbers are adding up with family/friends etc, you're not sure if you'll be able to invite coworkers. Most people understand that. Just slip it into the convo one day if you're chatting wedding with her.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would also stop talking to her about it. I don’t know if it’s just me but when people who aren’t invited ask me about planning and things I get awkward and don’t want them to except they are coming haha.
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with everyone else, a small lie is probably the best option. Your wedding is a year away so I think you have time to approach the subject as well.
  • Leanna
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks! I think a little white lie is my best option here. No, my FH isnt close with any of his co-workers, and I never hang out with this girl outside of work so I wouldn't have a get together with them after. She's super critical of other weddings and always brings up things she's hated about them. She even went so far as to say "dont worry I won't be this judgemental at your wedding". Just not something I want to have to concern myself with. I'm not getting married to impress anyone

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a case where I feel it is totally ok to blame your parents. Just tell your coworker that your parents and your FH’s parents are inviting way more people then you thought and that you were forced to cut your invites. Then apologize and let her know how you really wanted to invite her but not you can’t.

Yes it’s a little lie but she will never know. And it helps to keep things good at work. If she gets upset at that, well that’s her problem not yours.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are absolutely dead set on not having her there then I would suggest subtly mentioning how much money it is and that your guest list is way too big and that you're going to have to make trims... then perhaps you could make invitations for your coworkers and your FH's coworkers to come over to your place and have a little after the fact celebration? Of course give out those invitations around the same time your wedding invites go out. (I hate confrontation when I look like the bad guy.)

If you are only worried about her being judgmental then I would say that no body can bring you down and that all it takes is a couple "It's my wedding, so I'm doing what I want and would appreciate you being on board" kind of mentions and she should fall in line. If she doesn't judge you during your current wedding talk then I really don't see how bad it could be at the wedding itself - especially if she doesn't have many people to talk to about it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics