Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Curious September 2019 Saskatchewan

How to deal with planning a wedding after a failed engagement

Amanda, on December 20, 2017 at 01:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16
I was supposed to marry my ex last July, I loved him but I wasn’t in love with him anymore. He treated me like a roommate with benefits, he had an explosive temper and was mean to my oldest child whom he raised since birth.. one day I realized I wasn’t excited to marry him in fact it gave me bad aniexty.. I wanted the party not the marriage.. and it occurred to me I held onto a dream I had when I was 17 and I had grown and changed and I wanted more.. so in may 2017 I broke off our engagement and relationship..
I met a man in July who was everything I’d always wanted in a partner plus more and everything was so exciting and new.. he proposed in December and it’s so different this time I want the marriage and not so much the party (but I like parties lol).. my question is how do I handle negativity and just focus on the fact i found the person I am meant to be with? I love this site so much I’m just worried about like being judged as silly as it sounds ..

has anyone ever dealt with anything similar ?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Angela K., on January 17, 2018 at 12:27
  • Angela K.
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Angela K. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In wedding preparation you will always have people that will have an opinion abou everything. Very few will actually offer to help but I guess that is the way it is.

My advice is to do what makes you and your fiancée happy., everyone else will just have to be happy for the both of you.

On saying that I married in the court years ago and was preparing the wedding ceremony when I found out my ex cheated on me. We broke up an I never had my dream church wedding. Now I am engaged and preparing for a wedding and I know sometimes you might feel discouraged for some reasons but that is a brand new relationship that you should celebrate!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well that is beautiful and I wish you both all the best!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely didn’t expect it!!.. he sent me a message and I actually ignored it at first and then thought wth and responded , and we had so much in common it was like we knew each other before.. my cheesey theory is our souls knew they belonged together because in a past life we were together .. silly I know but it was so unexpected and quick and wonderful!
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are going to have more of a small town type wedding , the hall here is super cheap and spacious!.. (like 50 ppl live here if that ).. we want to have fun and make it a party more than a traditional wedding (not a kegger though lol), were both more laid back and so are our families so I’m excited to start planning this!!
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you and yes lol we only had to tell our parents it was off and out party.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Smiley smile .. my ex is now dating my ex MOH and they’re expecting a baby and happy he’s with someone he is in love with , and I am to!!

my fiancé and I are planning to just do a small town wedding in my hometown , with family and friends who have been loyal and true to us.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awe thank you for your kind words and advice!.. I’ve come a long way from how I was 5 years ago even , but you’re 100% correct !

my parents gave us their blessing because they’ve never seen me so happy and in love.. it just feels so different I’m sure without a doubt with my fiancé he is the one for me Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know all about anxiety over judgement! That used to bother me alot when I was younger! But the good the about getting older is that I just don't care about what others think anymore about your decisions. Coming from a European background you have no idea how many times I've heard "Oh you're not married yet, or WOW eh?, Your younger brother is getting married before you! Blah blah blah! It doesn't bother me now because I know I waited for the right person and my journey led me here to this moment, to my life with my FH! That's what you need to focus on. The present moment!!!! You don't want the negativity of your past spoiling your positive present situation and happy future. You want to surround yourself by positive and supportive friends and family. Anyone who would bring drama and negativity you shouldn't want to be around anyway! Do what you can to focus on the present moment. There is nothing left in the past, so don't look back there. If you spend too much time looking back you'll miss what's right in front of you! Take care.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your happy and in love, thats all the matters! If anyone is negative or judgy towards you then maybe they don't need to share your special day. My advice is to forget about the past relationship and just live in the moment and the new one!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly is may be hard but don't even think about the previous relationship! Just focus on you two! I would just recommend to focus on your planning and stick with that. And imagine how great your wedding will be! It should be a great party!! 😜
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it is what you want for the 2 of you, go for it. Enjoy the wedding plannibg and Your day. The party will follow after which will surprise to being enjoying. Congrats o. Your engagement. Its good you got out of the relationship before the invitations went out.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahahah the best advice! Just focus on the two of you Smiley smile if you don’t want a party just do something small with the people who support you!
  • Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just invite people you like Smiley tongue
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's tough when other people feel like they are the expert in your life. This is your time to be happy and excited! If people can't support you in that, maybe you need to let them know you don't want to hear their opinion. Or, maybe you need to limit the time you spend with them. I feel like most people will eventually come around once they see how happy he makes you.

My friend is kind of going through something similar. Her family does not like her boyfriend because of something from his past. They do not see who he is now and how well he treats her. For her, its tough because she tells her mom everything, but has learned to turn to others to support who do support their relationship. Her relationship with her mom has changed slightly but she decided she did not want to hear her mom's opinion anymore and decided to not talk to her mom about her boyfriend and the hard parts of their relationship; she just tells her mom the good stuff now. She is trying to focus on the positive so that her mom does as well. I think that's all you can do sometimes--focus on the positive and hopefully those close to you will catch that vibe as well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love happens! You cannot plan for it and you cannot make it appear where it isn't. I think you just need to focus on how happy you are with your fiancé and planning your wedding. When you know, you know...as the saying goes.

Congrats on the engagement and happy planning!

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You cant plan love, it just happens. I would focus on that happy amazing feeling you have and lean on your FH. If you have found your person you should not to wait until it is 'appropriate' because at the end of the day you are letting your ex still affect you. But that is over now and you have moved on to this wonderful relationship!

Congrats and I hope your wedding planning becomes happy and positive!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics