Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shauna
Beginner August 2019 Ontario

How soon to plan make up, hair, etc?

Shauna, on June 12, 2018 at 11:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24
Hello everyone!
I am getting married in August 2019 and have the venue chosen as well as photographer and I got my dress!!

Is it still too early to start planning the makeup artist and hair for the big day? I don’t want to plan too much in case something falls through but i don’t want to wait too long in case who I found that I want isn’t available.

Please help! Any advice and suggestions are welcome Smiley smile

24 Comments

Latest activity by Leanne, on June 20, 2018 at 10:49
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married in Sept 2018 and booked my hair and makeup Nov 2017. The mobile hair and makeup artist that I chose books up very quickly and far in advance so I wanted to make sure we had that booked. I don't think it hurts to start looking soon, you don't want to wait too long and find out you can't hire the person you wanted.

• Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! I'm getting married in November of 2019 and have already booked my photographer and hair and makeup! I found that a lot of the people I wanted were already booking into 2019 so I jumped right in!

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely not! A lot of vendors book up fast and there is no harm in researching now to see what kind of stylists you are looking for. If you have a specific vision in mind and feel like a certain stylist is the one after meeting them, then I'd say book them! Better to have more things done and out of the way now than to leave it all to the last minute. Smiley smile It's awesome you have already found your dress too!

• Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey I'm also getting married in August 2019 too woo!!Smiley laugh
    I am looking to book my makeup artist and hair stylist soon too...so I'd say we're right on track!! You could even ask your venue if they can suggest people.

Good luck!
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the help! Pretty in Pink mobile look good, although I want to keep researching because I only have three bridesmaids and it looks like the minimum I have to book and pay for are six Smiley sad
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Did you try Pretty in Pink Mobile? They service Burlington/Hamilton area. When I was researching I came across them.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm a hairstylist. Do it soon!!! Wedding seasons get booked up fast and depending on the size of the salon, they can only take 1-2 weddings per weekend!!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also an August 2019 bride and am planning to book hair and makeup this month! I figure that since I'm fairly confident about who I want to do them, I might as well book it.

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started researching early...following different artists on instagram for awhile to see if I like their work, and to get a sense of how they work. I compared prices and locations (as most will travel to you for wedding but you need to go to them for trial). I think I narrowed it down to two.
  • R
    Curious May 2023 Ontario
    Rayann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following this too
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is reasonable to start now because one's hair and makeup is extremely important on such an important date. You want to have more options when it comes to finding someone who is flexible and knows how to achieve the look you want. Mind you, there are a lot of talented artists out there, but it is better to have more options to choose from than choose someone who is still available the day of. If you will be doing an engagement sometime in the next couple of months, I recommend starting now since you can do a trial and see if you like their work.

I am also getting married in August '19. I have booked the venue, catering, officiant, photographer and cinematographer so far, but hair and makeup will be my next focus.

• Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Book it now. I'm having the same struggle because I want to book hair and makeup as a gift for my bridesmaids. I'm having trouble myself trying to get someone to my venue (which is in Burlington, Ontario) and I live in the GTA. Also, I have to like the person's makeup and hair work.

If you find someone you like, book it early as possible.

Congratulations on getting everything nailed down Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I suggest book as soon as you can, especially if there is someone in particular you want! I was surprised with how quickly places booked up; I booked 6 months in advance and didn’t get my top choice
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First, congrats on all the work you have done so far! Venue, photographer, and dress all off the checklist must be a huge relief. :-)

I personally don't think it is too early to book a make-up artist and hairstylist. If anything was to fall through, it gives you more wiggle room time wise to find a replacement.

If you haven't gotten a specific person or two in mind yet, check local salons as some will give you a free or inexpensive "consultation" with a hair stylist. Depending on the place, the hairstist might even include a trial in the consultation. It gives you a chance to get to know the stylist too. That's how I have found the stylist I am using, though I haven't booked her yet as my FH and I still haven't gotten a venue for a confirmed date (we're getting married in August 2020). As soon as I have the date though, totally booking to lock her down that day!

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is awesome. Thank you so much!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes when you book far in advance you get additional discounts.

If there’s a person you want, lock them down ASAP. And see if they offer WW discounts!
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've yet to book my hair and make up because I'm not from this town originally so I'm doing so much research from all hair and make up artist in windsor.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If there's a certain person you want, lock them down for your date ASAP. Your trial run should probably be a few months out, once you have your dress, and have an idea of what veil/hair accessory you'd be wearing.

• Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay! Thank you so much. If anyone knows anyone in the Hamilton - Guelph area. Venue is in Ancaster but I live in Guelph so for trials and such. Thanks so much for the advice ladies!
  • Krystal
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Krystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked mine a year in advance because I knew she was amazing so I didn't want to miss out on my dream make up artist.
  • Amy
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Amy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    ASAP! It’s so hard to find someone good and reasonable for cost! I was 2 months away before I confirmed hair and it was so stressful. Not because I waited but because I couldn’t find anyone good!
  • Shauna
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually have my engagement session booked for this July 6th, so might be cutting it a little close. But I’m sure I could plan it around a bridal shower, etc.

I’ll start looking. Thank you so much!

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow you are very organized and on point. It doesn’t hurt to start looking. If you find someone you really like see about booking a hair and makeup session for a special occasion (or just for fun) to see if they are a good fit. If your willing to be flexible in your day of look I don’t see a problem in starting to look and pin early. There are so many different styles that it takes time to find the right one. Just be sure to occasionally go back and evaluate the complete look to see if it’s still what you want for the day.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you doing an engagement shoot?

If you are, I would suggest you find one before that so you can try it out for the shoot and then have an idea of how they work and what you want.

Also, talking to my MUA - sometimes the sooner you book the better it is, specially if your wedding is in high season (so summer) that way you can ensure your day is available and they're not already booked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics