Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Beginner September 2019 British Columbia

How many photographers?

Shannon, on January 26, 2018 at 17:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33

How many photographers is it ideal to have for your wedding?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Carmela, on February 25, 2018 at 09:59
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its all based on what you want. I was two just so that one photographer can capture images from one angle and one from another, but with having two.. it might cost you more. Its all about preference. Good luck!!

• Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to get two but we will see what the budget allows.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Two photographers (Wife & Husband team) 11 hours + engagement session + all shots on USB and online gallery for $3700 with taxes.

I really wanted two photographers to ensure everything get covered everywhere. Easier to do preparation shots with two photographers. 1 in his room and 1 in mine.

Also we are doing first look and late night reception group + fire pit at 9. I wanted to ensure we have maximum time with those people. Just cause they came later in the day doesn't mean we dont want to remember them at our wedding.

I also didn't mind paying so much for our pictures over anything else because those are the things that will last for the rest of our lives and well get to look back and love the style and the way we looked on the best day of our life.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have finally found our photographer team and we are having 3 photographers for under 2000.00 including travel. We already had our engagement session so he deducted 200.00 off that but travel is 150 so our photographers is costing us 1950.00 including taxes for unlimited hours (till the end of our dances which also includes a slide show of the getting ready portion and ceremony during dinner hours). Smiley smile Most photographers were over 2000.00 and only up to 8-10 hours.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing two!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have booked 2 for 8 hours (we are getting married later in the day and plan on having the photographers from 2-10pm). Both the FH & I will be getting ready at the same hotel but in separate rooms. This way the principal photographer can be with the girls & I, travel to the venue with us first (I have a bridal room), take our shots there and capture the guests arriving while the secondary stays with the guys for their photos and arrives with them.

It was really important to me having a photographer to capture our separate responses walking down the aisle without having to flip back and forth. A single photographer can definitely do it, but those are always my favourite moments and I wanted to be certain.

Also, I love the idea that the principle photographer do our group shots afterwards while the other stays in for cocktail hour with the guests (thanks Candace)!

We were lucky enough that our photographers always shoot as a pair so it wasn't an addition - their packages already have this built in - it was around $2500+tax which is fairly normal here in Ottawa.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is absolutely amazing!
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having 2 photographers and 2 videographers
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are only having a max of 15 people. We are disguising it as a “pre-wedding” Party! Nobody knows but the two of us and our vendors! We gave a fake date to our family so they know a wedding is happening, they just don’t know it is happening as soon as it is! Also means I still had the opportunity to go dress shopping with my mom and sister. Smiley smile
  • April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have one for the whole day and than also a photo booth set up at the reception.
  • Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 1 photographer for 5 hours.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have 1 photographer for 8 hours and an additional photographer for 4 of those 8 hours to get pictures of our guests during the ceremony and cover all angles.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds amazing! How many guests are you expecting? How are you pulling this off?!

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a super small wedding, but we are having a surprise wedding. So, we are hiring a photography duo for ours. To ensure we get all the great reaction pictures we are hoping for. Smiley smile

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having 1 photographer but letting the guests take as many pics as they want as long as they dont get in the way of the guy i am paying..lol

• Sarah
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted 2 but we have 1. I told my Photographer that I was interested in 2 and he said it wasn't necessary. He's been shooting weddings for 17 years and he said there is nothing that a 2nd shooter will get that he wouldn't already have. He has done weddings with a 2nd before and he said he ends up using maybe 15% of their photos so in the end it wasn't worth it for him.
    He also said to just time things properly. They will go to both getting ready locations and capture both of us separately so that won't be an issue. And as far as me getting ready, he said don't waste hours of having him be there at 8am....have him come at 12pm. No one really wants the photos of you with your hair in curlers, you want the photo of the finishing touches which can all be done closer to the end.
    So to be honest, I really wanted 2. But I feel comfortable with 1 now.
  • P
    Newbie November 2018 Alberta
    Phyllis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Maya,
    I would love to talk to you in more detail since I live in Edmonton.
    Thanks.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going with two photographers for 12 hours and it is only costing 2258 and our photographer has a drone and can also do aerial shots. It also comes with a free engagement session and full release for all the images. I chose two so that we don’t miss anything. I may even ask my friend who is taking photography classes to do the photos while I get my hair done because it’s half an hour travel time between my salon and my hotel. So then I don’t lose time for the photographer for travel time. I also might see if my hairstylist can do my hair at the hotel. Still not sure yet.

It took a lot of research and comparisons. We saw one photographer who we liked his work, but he included creating an album with a $300 dollar credit in his cost and was over 1000 more. I have made albums online before and feel like it will be special for my fiancé and I to create them together. The more expensive photographer we looked at also restricted the print size to be 5x8 for our own printing and you could order large prints through his company. Always read the fine print of the service agreement.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I paid for 1 and had 2 on the wedding day for 12 hours. $1300 total.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted 2, and I have found a LOT of packages that do one for the full day with the second for a shorter period of time. But photographers are (in my opinion) crazy money... I have found a couple where it will be closer to $2000 for 2 photographers (I'm from Vancouver, BC), but most of them are $3000+ ... EEEK!

In short, if I can afford it, I'm getting 2 (mainly because the bridal party and groomsmen are getting ready in 2 different locations)... but the budget may only allow for one.

• Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have two for 12 hours! We wanted to make sure we got full coverage for the day! My friend got married a couple years ago, and only had one photographer for 6 years, and I found so much was missed because they are only able to get one angle/shot at a time. With two, you will see so much more of your day!

• Kryzia
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Kryzia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were able to negotiate a package to include 2 photographers. There's so much going on on the day of that one person won't be able to catch everything. At least with a second shooter, they'll be able to help each other out. Smiley smile It does depend on your budget.

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having two. We are doing our first look up on top of a mountain (by helicopter) so the second shooter will be capturing family/friends/wedding party
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have two so that one can focus a lot on the groom and one can focus on the bride. Also one can be with guests as they arrive and one can be with the bride. Then during cocktail hour one will be with the guests and one will be with the wedding party.
    Our photographer also said this allows us to get candid photos of us and the guests but still make sure every key moment is captured
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always thought I wanted 1 but this board has me second-guessing my decision lol

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was adamant that I wanted 2 shooters because I love candid photos, which the 2nd shooter can catch while the main photographer is doing pose shots. They can also catch different angles, but I mostly wanted it for the candid shots.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted two for the ceremony for sure, that was a must. That was it's 100% certain that we will get full coverage. Plus this way one photographer will be with my fiance getting ready and the other with me. Then for after the ceremony the second photographer acts as assistant in lighting, posing etc. But two definitely isn't necessary. It just happened to be a personal preference and they had a package with two within my budget!
  • Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have wanted 2 from the beginning so that one is with me and one is with my fiancé, I want both our reactions photographed at our first look and when I walk into the church. I paid extra to have two because it was important but I believe budget is also a factor!
  • Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on what your looking for and want to capture. We have 1 for the whole day and a second for 5 hours to capture the ceremony and stuff.
  • Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends what you are looking for, honestly. We are going with just one photographer, but my fiance’s brother used a second shooter so they could get the same shot at a different angle.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going with two. The main reason I wanted two was because we aren't doing a first look, so I wanted one person to capture Fiance the first time he sees me, and one to capture me when I see him for the first time.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 2 which is nice then we know there is less of a chance for things to be missed. We will be giving our photographers as small list of MUST HAVES but other than that they have been doing wedding photography for years so I'm not too worried about things being missed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics