Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Liga
Devoted June 2021 Quebec

How many of you are taking their husband's surname after wedding.....

Liga, on October 13, 2019 at 22:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 69

How many of you are taking their husband's surname after wedding.....

If you are from Quebec, You will know, here it is not possible legally. I would need to get married officially outside Quebec region, to get my husband surname..

Since we dont have children and I have another citizenship as well. I will keep my surname. Not to change all the papers. Even if I like when family have one surname. That's the way it was in my family. My mother took my fathers family name.

69 Comments

Latest activity by Liga, on March 15, 2020 at 16:30
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Karina...At least outside Quebec, you have choice. In Quebec, we can not take husband's surname. Since we will not have children, I will not change surname, because I am from Europe originally, and I would need to change all my documents there as well! Just dont feel for that! But if we would have children would be nice to have the same surname, but at the same time, my sister never took her husband surname, they divorced and her daughter still have fathers surname, and it is so nice and go so well together with her name, that my sister will keep it.

So, you need to do, what feels good for you! Smiley smile

• Karina
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly I am not 100% sure yet, I think I want to but at the same time part of me is silly and feels like i may lose some of my identity if I change my name too his last name. I'm thinking about it. I want to have the same last name as my kids, so I guess I am learning more so towards yes.

• Jessica
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was debating on hyphenating but then it would be soo long haha.. Just find it weird saying my name with his last name but hopefully I get used to it and enjoy it!

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our children will share a hyphenated name like myself! Going forward they can choose to keep both names, go down to one last name or take their partners name when the time comes to get married, but at least they’ll have options! I know it’s not as important to others but it is meaning a lot to my father and grandfather that I’ll be carrying on our last name through my marriage and onto my children. 😄
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What will you do with your kids surname? And how do you think what they would do with your grandchildren surname? I am asking that since my partners children from his ex, is facing this situation. They have 2 surnames, and now there is baby coming. So my step son have 2 surnames and his wife has her ( 1 ) surname, I dont know what they will do. What surname they will give to their baby!

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He’ll be keeping his last name and I will be hyphening mine! I only have sisters and no male cousins who share my name. So I feel as though it’s my duty to carry my last name forward without snuffing my partners either! It feels like a good balance!
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jessica...PerfectSmiley love

• Jessica
    Beginner October 2023 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am
    His flows nicer lol
    And I have nothing tying me to mine..
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a great idea!Smiley love

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley love or Different or interestingSmiley laugh

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Special is polite ha ha ha
  • Patricia
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will either hyphenate my last name with my husband's, or they will get my husband's last name. If we go with the second option, the kids take my name as part of their middle name. It's part of Filipino culture, and my mom also gave me her maiden name as my middle name.
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree! Smiley star

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes...I can imagineSmiley smile)))He dont want you to keep your ex surname.Smiley smile Make senseSmiley smile)))

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the same. I would prefer if I would have children, that we all have the same surname. So, I would take my hubby surnames, because of children as well.

But I will not, since we will not have children in future and plus we are getting married in Montreal, where you can not take others surname.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he he...yes it is specialSmiley smile surnameSmiley smile

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think so! That's what I understood...if I would get married in different province in Canada I could take my hubby surname. You should check this thing...Smiley smile

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But what will you do with your future kids surname? What surname they will have?

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes...that's amazing...the same country...but different province and different law. If I am not wrong that law was pulled out by feminists. I think everyone should have a choice.

• Melissa
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to assume my FW’s last name rather than change it legally. The only difference is that my maiden name will stay on my birth certificate, which makes sense to me anyway! I’ll just change everything else like my passport, drivers licence, etc.
  • Stephanie
    Beginner June 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely will be taking his last name!
    It’s like Im back in high school doodling my crushes last name as my own 😂

I had no idea there were places that did not allow it! That sucks :/
  • YVan
    Beginner September 2020 Quebec
    YVan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey!

I want to take my husband-to-be's name but as you said .. it's impossible in Quebec... That said, we're getting married in Croatia this summer! (The weddings in Croatia are recognized in Quebec) now... Does that mean I have a chance to change my last name?? 😮
  • Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been waiting a lifetime to change my last name! Not that I don’t love my family and my last name represents that but “Cockerton” has brought some tears over the years ... some of laughter. 😂
  • Kayley
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Kayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be. I've heard it's easier in the future when you have a family to have the same last name as your children.

• Patricia
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be keeping my last name! I like my last name and considered hyphenating it with my FH's, but adding his name would make my name ridiculously long (15 letters total). Aside from that, in his culture, when women marry they don't change their last name.

I'm totally content with keeping my last name Smiley smile

• Angelina
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Angelina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am taking his name legally, and professionally keeping mine. I have set a career so far up on my last name. Asking my students to change would be entertaining but the butchering of it would be brutal. We both agree on it and think it would be the best way for myself. If I change schools/districts later on it may be another conversation but right now this is where we're at.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am taking my husbands last name.
    I really wanted to hyphenate, as all of my professional designations etc. are under my current name....but we are both fairly traditional and he was very excited at the prospect of me taking his last name. Also, I was very very young when I married the first time, but I kept his last name (due to the reasons above). So my fiance was like “you are not keeping THAT last name...” lol.... so I guess it’s a new name for me 🤣
  • Alex
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be taking my fiance's last name, his sounds way better with my first name then my current last name does, is easy to pronounce, I want us to both have the same last name as our children together, and I have a brother who will carry on the family name so I won't feel bad in that sense. I'm definitely not looking forward to changing it for my nursing license, school papers, etc. though.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally plan to take his last name..it wouldn’t make sense to me not to. I’m actually excited about changing my name. I love my name obviously but I do appreciate what the surname signifies.
  • Lauren
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have really been struggling with this! All my life, I figured I would hyphenate my last name. But now that I'm actually getting married, I really don't like the sound of my last name and my FH's together.

My FH really wants me to change my name, however my name is very important to me and I want to always have that connection with my family. Since I was a little kid I always knew I would keep my name. So I just don't know what to do!

• Stephanie
    Beginner August 2021 New Brunswick
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm on the fence. His name is generic and everyone has it in the maritimes. I'm also a teacher and love how much my last name is apart of that identity too! Good luck! Either way I think taking his name is a lot of work and by the sounds of it double if you live in Quebec.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im taking his last name. He is the last of his family branch to carry on the family name. I grew up with my mother having a different last name and i hated correcting people and getting funny looks from older people. I never want my kids going through that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics