Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious September 2020 Alberta

How long did your photos take?

Taylor, on February 24, 2020 at 17:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

We are trying to figure out our timeline, and aren't sure how much time to allocate for photos. Our photographer recommended planning on 3 hours, but that seems really long to us. We aren't doing a first look, but aren't sure how long the couples photos usually take. How long are you all planning for your photos?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on March 3, 2020 at 15:50
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 hours seems normal plus you got to travel to the spot for photos and set up and grab your friends you want pics with so that sounds about right

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did 3 hours. We did group photos with all our guests, the wedding party then just us. I like the amount of photos we got but my husband was getting so ornery by the end you can kind of tell on some photos. My friend did about two hours and then another hour after dark with just her and her husband. There are some great photos there and it was nice for their attention spans to break it up.
  • V
    Newbie February 2020 Alberta
    Vincent ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Two to three hours sounds about right, especially if you have a large wedding party or large families. There are always stragglers that have to be tracked down. We didn't do a first look, but did two photo locations the moving between locations didn't take long but wrangling everyone into the car and getting the families in the right place at the right time can be a challenge. Even just getting out of the venue after the ceremony takes longer than you expect because everyone wants to chat with you, so I think your photographer is giving you a good estimate.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had 1 hour with each family for getting ready and family shots. Before and during reception, 45 minutes was allocated for our couple shots.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a first look, and our couple pictures were done super quick. We had 2- 2:30 for the first look, and then some couple shots. Our photographer would position us as a couple in a few poses/locations, then would add in the wedding party. So it went pretty fast.

We had all our couple photos, wedding party, and immediate family photos done in 2 hours.

After the ceremony, we did a couple more family shots, and some of us if we wanted them in different locations

• T
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, I should have clarified that the three hours is for all of the posed and group photos as well. Plus about 20 minutes of travel time to a second location for some of them. I am hoping that photos won’t take that long, but want to figure out if that is realistically possible.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think they mean 3 hours for all photos, family and extended family and co-workers and wedding party. it takes a few minutes to gather each group and if youre missing someone you have to run to find them that all takes time.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 hours should be enough for not only the couple photo's, but the wedding party photo's and the family photo's. If you are only planning for the couple photo's then I would say that an hour is about how long you will need (in my experience).

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer is with us all day. She is doing the getting ready photos for both me and my fiance, the first look with my dad, ceremony, 1 hour ish for the family photos after because we have large families, approximately 2 hours with the bridal party, and then she is photographing the reception until 9 p.m. We wanted to make sure we had enough time for travel to and from locations as well to get all the photos we wanted done.

Three hours is a lot if you dont have large families and if you are wanting only one location with your bridal party.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t want all the extra early photos so my photographer is just coming 2 hours before the ceremony start to take a couple shots & then I allowed about an hour and a half for photos before the ceremony starts, plus my photographer will be there until 10/11 pm to take some fun shots Smiley smile
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3 hours sounds like a lot! We are planning on about 20 minutes for "getting ready" photos, 10ish for the first look, and 45 to an hour for our photos within walking distance of our venue. We don't have a wedding party so we save some time there and most of our family shots we will get as guests arrive before the ceremony or more candidly throughout the night. I prefer the more candid style to the "stand there with your hand here and cheese" type of photos so I would rather get them throughout the day.

Have you got a list of photos or locations you want that you've talked about with your photographer? That might help them narrow down how much time you need.
    I would also recommend a "Wrangler" to have people waiting on standby for their photos so people don't wander off. It helps if this person (or people) knows both of your families so if they need to find Aunt Sue they know who they're looking for.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 9 hours with our photographer - starting at noon and going until 9. We're not doing a first look, but might do a first touch. Ceremony is at 3:30pm and family/bridal party/couple shots are 4-6pm during cocktails and our photographer said that was good on time. We'll sneak out again at golden hour for some more shots too.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So if you have the time maybe allot 1 hr for you and bridal party and 45 min or so for family
    Pics.
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer is doing 8 hours of coverage... but we’ve only allotted one hour for group photos due to our timeline.... she said that was more than enough time. No first look-but she will be doing the “getting ready” photos, ceremony, 1 hour group and reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics