Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How long before the wedding did you book your venue?

Joey, on March 5, 2018 at 08:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 42

I want to ask you about your wedding planning timeline - I'm curious to know how long before the wedding you crossed various planning tasks off your to-do list, or when you're planning to have the tasks finished. So play along to have some fun comparing timelines, while sharing your advice with those who are still building their own!

How many wedding venues did you check out? And how long before your wedding date did you book your venue?

How long before the wedding did you book your venue? 1

Photo by Fairmont Royal York in Toronto

>>Click here to go to the next question, How long before the wedding did you ask your wedding party?

42 Comments

Latest activity by Navy, on July 29, 2021 at 11:34
  • N
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Navy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmm, it has been a long ago, so I am not really sure about it. However, I am sure that it was more than 12 months before the wedding. We had our wedding in august 2014. I proposed to my wife in February 2013, so it means that we booked the venue between February and august 2013, something like that. We had our wedding in Ibiza, as it was her dream to have the wedding there. It was pretty tough to find a DJ who could work on our wedding, as all of the DJs from Ibiza are busy 24/7. At last, we had a great dj and saxophone wedding . My wife was pleased with everything. That is what matters to me. Now I am trying to help my sister with her plannings.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

18 months beforehand booked the venue we liked over shopping around more.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue 1 year out. We went to go see it on the equivalent Saturday (January 20, 2018/January 19, 2019), and then decided on it/booked it the following Tuesday.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue 11 months before our wedding.

• Trinity
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Trinity ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is roughly 15 months away, we booked our venue 2 weeks ago! we got the last Saturday in 2019, originally wanted September 2019, but August 2019 will be just as lovely xx
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    11 months before.. after being engaged for almost 3 years we finally and kind of on the spot decided to set a date lol
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It will be 18 months before we will have a venue booked to limited venues in the area it books up fast

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were engaged in April 2017, we knew what date we wanted so we booked our reception hall in May 2017 and ceremony location in June 2017. Wedding is September 2018.
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked our venue 9 months before the wedding. But I liked the reception so much that I asked them their open dates and picked the date. Lucky they we're open a day before our anniversary as bf/gf So our date was meant to be.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just over 2 years in advance, but the only reason we got married that much later was because the venue was booked until then
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Over a yr in advance

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Approximately 7 months before the wedding, two months within our engagement.
  • Megh
    Curious January 2019 Ontario
    Megh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue 14 months before the wedding. This particular venue is only available for low season weddings and we were able to place a hold on our date when we happened to be driving by on Thanksgiving weekend. Lucky for us, they still had our date available!

• Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    15 months ahead of time . And we still couldn’t get a Saturday and they only had 1 Friday left so we took it.
  • Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    21 months. We live in a small place and I know people who wanted to get married on the same date and in the same place as us. I did not wait.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked the venue almost two years prior. We actually only visited the one venue we liked because it ended up being gorgeous and cheaper than expected with catering included!
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was one thing we booked right away. People were booking venues ASAP
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked it 10 months before the wedding date.
  • Taylor
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a specific date in mind, so we went to book it 2 years in advance which we thought was early , but someone already had it reserved but hadn’t paid yet. Long story short we got our day but now it’s such a long wait!!
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First thing we booked, it actually dictated our wedding date. We booked it 11 months before the wedding and i didn't get my picked date because it was already booked.
  • T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel alllll your pain girl
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol omg I know right! It’s insane! For the tent tables and chairs they quoted us almost $5000. That’s for just over 300 people.
  • T
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Let’s talk about the cost of a tent... in my next life I’m owning a tent renting business 🙄
  • T
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over a year.... we picked a date but then changed it to get the venue we wanted
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked ours 17 months before our wedding and we didn’t have many options for our date! Venues book up like hot cakes over here lol.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Over a year in advance. We were engaged last April and booked it in May and we’re getting married this August. We’re renting a large tent for a farm wedding so we didn’t really look at other venues haha
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One year! We actually booked this before we were engaged
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That was the first thing we got started on - we booked our venue a year and a half in advance!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged in June 2017 and knew we wanted a June or July 2018 date. So we did venue shopping 2 weeks after we got engaged and booked ours by July 2017.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't actually need to book our venue as it was family property. We did however ask if we could use it for the wedding about 2 weeks after we got engaged.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged on a trip October 4th, came back and had our venue booked by October 10th - I wasted no time Smiley winking

We are getting married in August so our venue was booked 10 months out.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged on vacation in November and immediately started venue shopping as soon as we got home since we knew we were going to be engaged less than a year. Venues were both booked by end of December.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics