Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How large is your guest list?

Joey, on August 7, 2017 at 13:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 57

One of your first tasks in planning your wedding is to make a rough guest list - this dictates what size venue you need and greatly impacts your budget. So I'm curious, how many guests are you planning on having?

Your guests are an important part of your wedding day!Your guests are an important part of your wedding day!

You can read some ideas for how to help ensure your guests feel special at your wedding in this article.

57 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on February 20, 2018 at 14:40
  • Holly
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are inviting 82 and are expecting most to come. It's going to be kid free which everyone is saying they appreciate! A night off for mom and dad Smiley smile

• Yscat
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Yscat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

65 guests - I'm comfortable with this number as it's a destination wedding! I absolutely LOVE this photo

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are hoping for Max 90 people including the wedding party. That's our room capacity at our venue. It would be awesome to get even lower than that though.

• Lina
    Frequent user May 2018 Alberta
    Lina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We kept it small for a middle eastern wedding at 80 people including the wedding party.

• Veronique
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Veronique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are estimating about 50 guests with plus ones, we want an intimate wedding.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are estimating around 120....(with everyone's +1), currently our guest list is sitting at 107...

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our initial guest list was 160, but we are anticipating approximately 130 guests on the actual day.

• Whitney
    Newbie September 2019 Manitoba
    Whitney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally had chose to go with a pop-up wedding company for the wedding which had a 100 guest limit for the ceremony venue.

After choosing to opt-out of their wedding package and plan the whole thing myself, I cut a few guests that I didn't feel we needed and got it down to 96 guests. The venue we chose happens to be quite small and can hold a max of 140 for a seated dinner. As we wanted to have a dance floor and just space in general, we tried to keep the original guest list as untouched as possible.

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If we had a small wedding the guest list would have been about 50.

We had monetary help so our guest list became roughly 120 people.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are inviting around 130 people and we expect basically all to come.

• Jennifer
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our current guest list is 40 and we dont plan to go much bigger. Only inviting close family and friends...our families are too big to invite everyone on a small budget and honestly havent talked to most extended family in the 3 years we've been together
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we first started planning we came up with the number of 120 and have just kind of stuck with that. We are both from smaller families (about 40 people total) and are not inviting children (there really aren't any that are close to us) so that has opened it up to a super fun event with lots of friends!

We will not likely go too far off that number by inviting about 125ish because most should be able to make it and if we have to pay for a few extra people that's just fine with us.

• Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have about 215 people on our final guest list. We are hoping that they all attend! In order to get our venue room rental for free we have to have 180 adults for catering. I think we have about 197 adults and 24 children.

• Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a smaller sized wedding with 103 people invited, over 90 people being family, we wanted to include some of our friends!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a small wedding of 72 guests given 15% declined from 107
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a medium sized wedding with 100-120 guests give or take some +1's

• Melissa
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going small... family and closest friends only... 25 - 28 people, that's it~

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your very right, that was the first things we did, b/c it determined our venue size. So as of right now, we are sitting around 210. Though I have read that around 8% of your guest will not come so that puts us around 190. My brother got married about a year ago, and he invited around 280, so we cut that list DRAMATICALLY !!! haha

• Angie
    Beginner April 2019 Alberta
    Angie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both of us came from a small family and Most of our extended families were overseas . So far we are at 50-60 guest.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted to do a small and intimate wedding with only imediate family and our closest friends. Both me and my FH have small families so we are inviting around 55 to the ceremony and probably a max of 120 to the reception.
  • Gabriella
    Curious November 2018 Alberta
    Gabriella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're inviting approx. 125 and our venue holds over 200. The price was reasonable for the extra space and there's even a room to set up a movie and colouring for the kids, plus it allows us to expand our list if we need to.

• Tyra
    Beginner September 2018 Manitoba
    Tyra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue can accommodate upto 225. We are inviting 200 and hoping that around 30-40 dont come. (Most live out of town or out of the country.)
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue holds 120. We ended up inviting almost 140. But, about 30 of my guests are not expected to come due to distance and family drama.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our current guest list is sitting at around 185 with the hopes of 20-40 not showing up (family that live far away).

This is all my fiancé too. My side of the guest list is around 60 people (including children).
  • Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue holds approximately 160 guests comfortably in a seated setting, so our list of about 130 is perfect. Smiley smile

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven’t sent out invites yet but we have about 140 people on our list. Our venue holds 120 comfortably but said they would work with our number if we have more than that actually show :/
  • Alexis
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

150 people is our guestimate. I have a large family and he does not. I also love kids so they are invited as well!

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since our wedding has changed so much, we went from 2, to 13 to 5 to now, final, with children, 187. No more changes! lol

• Jes G.
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jes G. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, that's a big wedding for sure! But I completely understanding having a big family, it's just so great having everyone there!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having around 140-160 for our one reception in one province, and my mother is having a second reception a week later in another province and that reception will have 100-150 (not sure of her exact numbers yet)

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue holds 200-250 but will probably have less than that. Thinking more in the 100-120 range. Depends if we let kids in or not/plus ones

• Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re around 250. Our venue holds around 290

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics