Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amber
Beginner October 2021 Ontario

How important is season to colour palette?

Amber, on July 28, 2019 at 01:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
I've had a comment or two on how the sage and lilac colour scheme I want to use is too "spring" for an October wedding. I originally was looking at fall colours like reds and yellows but they just didn't excite me as much as the pastels did. Is anyone else using an "out-of-season" colour palette in their wedding decor? How did it work out for you? Is there a reason for seasonal colour usage?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 14:37
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would still do the colors i want no matter the season. for an oct wedding you def dont need to have fall colors. do what you want to do cuz everyone will have an opinion on it!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had originally thought our colours would be purple and brown since they're our favourite colours. We ended up settling on fall leaves as a colour scheme for our October wedding, all the bridesmaids and groomsmaids are going to be in mismatched dresses in the different colours of leaves, there will be sunflowers in the bouquets, it's going to be beautiful.
    We wanted something that screamed fall and I think we've found it
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Chose the colour you want! Season doesn’t matter it will fit in
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never thought about season at all when I picked my colours. I wanted a glamorous type of wedding. I didn't even think about season. I picked winter for the savings and the glitter of snow just brought everything together.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's important. The advantage of using "in season" colours, is that it's easier to buy things second hand. I used royal blue and burnt orange in the summer, and it was hard to buy tulle, linens, other decor in those colours so I had to buy it new.

• Julie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us, we decided to keep rustic kind of colours and also incorporate some pastel colours and our wedding is in September which technically would be in the fall colours but like you said, it just didn’t excite me either as much as the other colours. I don’t think it matters to adjust the colours to the season.
  • Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone in this thought process! I'm so excited to see my colours in action!
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your theme could be "Spring in October". If those are the colours you like no reason you shouldn't do it. Anyone with negative comments should keep it to themselves. Just because is not's they would do does not make it wrong, just different. Do what you and your partner love and enjoy!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Tori, our colours are purple and teal, however our theme is peacock and we're getting married in a tropical atrium, in October lol

Sometimes I feel like my colour palette is out of place with the season, but really, it'll be unique! I think as long as you love your colours, no one is going to say anything - and if they do - it's not their place to make comments!

Fall colours also didn't really excite me either, so I'm using colours that do. You should use the colours you want, regardless of season!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pick what you like!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Casey! I didn't even think of the season when considering my colours

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your season and colours do not have to match at all. It is what you want for your overall look.
    We are sticking to fall colours because we love them! And FH wanted a blue suit... so I paired colours with navy to match what he wanted!
    you could always add in an accent metal or fall
    colour in your centrepieces or any decor
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

IMO they don't need to "match" the season. I'm getting married in October and our colours are teal and plum - we did add an accent colour of copper to make it a little more fall-like though. Maybe you could do the same if it makes you feel more confident in your colour scheme?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To every couple, it varies on colours and season.

Be happy with your choice of colours despite of what is said and done. Its how you come to the decision of what you want to see end of the day envisioning your day. Even if the colours are out of season, its works for you.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think your colours need to match your season, choose whatever colours you like. We’ve had some people be a little surprised that we’re going with Tiffany Blue for our winter wedding because it’s bright. I think sage and lilac would look lovely together and I wouldn’t think at all about how it coordinates with the season. I once went to a summer wedding that had black as one of their colours and I thought it looked fine and didn’t think it was out of place.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally wouldn't care. At the end of your day, it is your wedding and your vision. I would never pick or change my colours based on what people think is appropriate season wise. Nope. I say go for it.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that will be very pretty. if you are worried about it looking out of place for october then maybe find a different way to add fall back in. maybe with an appetiser? but at the end of the day it doesnt matter. people wont be looking at if your colors match the season. but do be aware that you may struggle to find things like decor or even attire in those colors if you wait too long. what you could even do is go with a very neutral color dress and have the colors come from the flowers.

• Amber
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking of a sage green and lilac purple with silver for any metals. Green's his favourite colour and the purple just looks so nice with it!
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is october too but we went with just black lol. we plan on adding orange and green somehow in a small way as a nod to our fav colors. what colors were you thinking?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics