Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

How did you pick your wedding date?

Lynnie, on August 24, 2017 at 11:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 54

How did you decide on your wedding date?

There are SO many different things to consider from season to weather to holidays to scheduling with friends and family to venue availability and don't forget about date significance!

What were the top reasons that you picked your wedding date?

Photo from Pinterest

Photo from Pinterest

Also check out 9 Factors to Consider When Setting Your Wedding Date and 5 Things Every Couple Should Know Before Booking Their Venue !

54 Comments

Latest activity by Jenna, on April 22, 2019 at 12:08
  • Jenna
    Newbie February 2020 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé will be getting married February 29/2020. Both of our birthdays are the leap day which has always been unusual. It was a given when February 29th fell on a saturday!

we will make our own “champagne” birthday, since that is something you never get being a leap day baby Smiley smile
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a short engagement, so there weren't many dates left. If we wanted to have all our siblings and parents, it had to be in August. After taking into account other factors (another couple in our church who have many friends in common with is getting married on the 18th, and we don't want to make our friends choose; and we want to be back from our honeymoon before September, since we have something else planned then), we narrowed it down to August 4 or 11.

So we mentioned the potential dates our closest friends and family, and one of them already had something on the 11th.

August 4 also happened to be the only Saturday left this summer at our preferred venue, so that pretty much confirmed it!

• Athena
    Beginner July 2018 Ontario
    Athena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's our anniversary that just happened to fall on a Friday - that day tends to be cheaper than Saturday and Sunday. Also it's in summer as we did not want it to be cold or raining too much.

• Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is what we are trying to figure out now. We are thinking June or July depending on venue (once we figure that out too, lol).

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're both teachers, and our wedding needs to be out of town closer to our families, so we were limited in dates.

We both hate summer heat and my parents had already booked a two week cruise in July. We ended up choosing the middle of our spring break, as we can both have a week to do last minute wedding things followed by a week of relaxing and post-wedding stuff.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the sweetest reason ever! I think this is such a fantastic idea and definitely a way to celebrate your little one for sure! Always remembered Smiley heart

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both really wanted a fall wedding but didn’t want to do it thanksgiving weekend so we chose the Saturday! We started dating on a Friday the 13th in the spring. So the number will be the same.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked our date as it would have been our daughters first birthday. I misscarried last year July. We decided January 19, 2019 would be a way for us to celebrate her.
  • Karen
    Newbie April 2018 British Columbia
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went by favorite venue and then chose from their availability Smiley smile

• Veronique
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Veronique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose September 1 2018 because we met on August 6 2006 and started dating on Sept 21 2006, so this is the Saturday kind of in the middle of those two dates Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Chose based on weather conditions (getting married in September in Calgary, AB)...and based on availability on the venue as well.

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked our day partially because it is considered lucky in Chinese culture, and partially because it was during summer vacation for overseas relatives.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose our date the easy way. Our 6th anniversary together will be our wedding day

• Whitney
    Newbie September 2019 Manitoba
    Whitney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I wanted a Halloween themed wedding so we knew it had to be in October.

Originally, we had chose to use a pop-up wedding company that had planned a Halloween Fairytale themed wedding day for Saturday, October 27th, 2018. We went with it at first but after many of the other details, specifically the reception part, just weren't falling into place, I decided to opt out and re-plan the wedding myself for the same date since I already got all the save the dates sent out.

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew I wanted a fall wedding - but before the weather got too cold which put us in October. I didn't want Thanksgiving weekend, or the weekend after Thanksgiving or the weekend of Halloween - so that gave me October 21!

I also love multiples of 7 (for some odd reason!) and the entire month of October had Saturdays in 7's! (7, 14, 21, 28)

• Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, we chose July 29 2018 because that is our anniversary already and we really wanted to stick with one day to remember! Also, we are both teachers, as well as a lot of our friends, so getting married in the middle of the summer really works for us. This is a Sunday, which is not popular for weddings, but we are finding that it is really easy to book things for a Sunday because there is less competition for vendors. It has been less stressful as we are not having any trouble getting what we want for the day. I would recommend getting married on a Sunday to my friends in the future!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We fell in love with our venue first and then asked what their available dates were. I coincidentally had one of their free dates in my head already (I have a strange love of even numbers) so it all worked out perfectly - 08/18/18 Smiley smile

• Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We originally had planned for June 1, 2018, (no reason at all) but had to move the date because my sister wouldn't be able to come, so we switched it to June 29, 2018 (again, no reason at all). We were lucky with the venue we chose, because they had a cancellation and we booked it pretty much instantly. And the 29 is the day of our anniversary of dating, so the number means something to us.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We discussed what season and based on the month accordingly. The venue was booked and the family members were notified by phone when the weddi g was going to be.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have always wanted a spring wedding so we decided on May (a bunch of family birthdays are in April and June) and March there is too much risk for snow. After we picked the month we looked at holidays in the month (Mother's Day and May two-four weekend) then picked from the two remaining weekends Smiley smile

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I were planning on having a September/October wedding, but after our venue hunt, and concluding how expensive it is to have a wedding in "peak" season, we couldn't afford it. So we found a way to cut cost which was to have it during low season; April. It cut our cost by 85$, which was insane!! Plates in Toronto during peak season for a Italian wedding were starting around 160$-210$. I nearly choked. But its all about compromises, and what we could afford. We don't want to go in debt for one day. We want to save for our downpayment on our home, and begin a family. Smiley smile
  • Brittany
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have always dreamed of a fall wedding, (I'm a bit basic, what can I say? I live for sweater weather!) My fiancè and I have our anniversary on September 21, and on our first anniversary he gave me a promise ring, for our third anniversary he gave me my engagement ring and so it only seems appropriate that for our fourth anniversary we give each other wedding rings. It lands on a Friday, but the date has so much meaning to us that we're doing it anyway!

• Patricia
    Newbie March 2019 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted a fall wedding...but seeing the cost was so much higher! We did our engagement photos in the fall. We decided we would pick a date in the "off season" and seeing both of our birthdays are in the month of March we chose March 23rd which is closer to the spring side of things then the winter! Smiley smile

• Alexis
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted a fall wedding and wanted cooler weather. We picked October 27, 2018 because we figured everything fall would be in bloom and it would be cooler while not being frigid. It falls nicely between Thanksgiving and Halloween!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve always wanted a fall wedding but I didn’t want it to be thanksgiving weekend. We started dating on a Friday the 13th in may. While our wedding date we chose isn’t a Friday the 13th it does fall on a Saturday in October next year so we chose that. It’s a lucky number for us.
  • Gabriella
    Curious November 2018 Alberta
    Gabriella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted a winter wedding, and I wanted a date close to my parents anniversary (they've been married almost 25 years). The next time their date fell on a Saturday is quite a few years away, so we just picked the closest Saturday a year from our engagement.

• Tyra
    Beginner September 2018 Manitoba
    Tyra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really wanted the fall trees for our wedding since our venue has this beauitful window
    So we went with Sept 28th 2018!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted a day that would be hot (I’m a cold-weather hater), so we picked the hottest long-weekend Sunday with the least chance of rain!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re engagement twins! I got engaged on October 26th too!
  • Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1) We wanted a date that would be lucky in Chinese culture.

2) We wanted it to be during the summer to have optimal weather.

3) We wanted as many overseas guests to be able to make it.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So our proposed date is because we’re waiting till early 2020 to allow my family overseas to save up to come for the wedding. I looked in February because flights tend to be cheaper and we noticed that February was a leap year and the leap day fell on a Saturday so I thought that was cool
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I was looking at the calendar and saw all the dates and the one I picked was calling my name (as stupid as that sounds). There was one in the spring I looked at, but the weather is so unpredictable that it may snow and I have guests travelling across the country so I stuck with my first instinct of the summer date. And I really like even numbers for some reason!! So we picked July 14! Kind of reminds me of Valentines Day with the 14 lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics