Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alley
Curious September 2017 Ontario

Hiring a videographer vs. using multiple gopro's to make a wedding video?

Alley, on September 18, 2016 at 15:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Hey everyone!

so i've been spending some time getting quotes from videographers for our wedding next September and I can't believe how much they are! especially on top of the photography... I've seen some Youtube videos of weddings filmed using go pros and then edited into a beautiful video. I realize this is much more work for my husband to be and I but what does everyone think? Is it worth the money for a videographer or can a GoPro be just as effective to save $4000?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Alley, on September 27, 2016 at 13:46
  • Alley
    Alley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have checked out the directory but a lot of the businesses are too far away. I live in Huntsville and am getting married in MacTier.

I'm looking for knee length all or part lace dresses in either pewter or rose gold havent decided yet!

• Nelly
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We hired a videographer that was recommended by our photographer.
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's great Alley! Smiley heart Happy to hear you're having fun planning and to be somewhat part of it! Smiley smile

If you're looking for hair and makeup, there are a few people who could help you in our directory. You can ask them for a quote to see how much they would charge. In what city are you having your wedding?

Wedding Hair Ontario

Wedding Makeup Ontario

What style are you looking at for bridesmaids dresses? And what colour? Smiley smile

• Alley
    Alley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Emilie hopefully it works out! Currently I am trying to book someone to do my hair and makeup that is willing to come on site and looking for bridesmaids dresses. But planning has been going well! So much fun!
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hahaha that's a great way to see it Alley! Smiley laugh You definitely have the rest of your lives to do it!

If you need tips or want our opinion on wedding photography styles to go for, let us know and we'll be there to help you. Smiley heart

How are your preparations going? What step are you at in your planning? Smiley smile

• Alley
    Alley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for your comments everyone! Appreciate the support, we just can't seem to find room in our budget for a videographer as we want the whole day to be covered so we decided to go the go pro route using our friends for help and purchasing an extra go pro with gadgets to make filming easier! I realize how much work it will be to cut it all into a film but we have the rest of our lives to do it!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Editing the video is A LOT more work than you would think!! That tends to be why they are so expensive. For us, we really wanted a video of our ceremony mostly (with drone footage) but COULD NOT afford the videographer prices, so I got my photographer to recommend someone and worked with him on a package that fit out budget. So he will be doing only 2 hours of shooting (some getting ready and ceremony, as it makes for better story telling to have a but more than JUST the ceremony), with a drone and it is costing me under $600! And that includes an edited 6min video, DVD's and the digital video file (on USB).

Maybe that can be a compromise?

• Sharon
    Frequent user October 2017 Alberta
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!! I know what you mean I also considered using a Go Pro for my wedding but I just gave up when I realized it was gonna be so much work after making a movie for my little sister. I used iMovie but Go Pro has another format that you have to download another software just to convert the file. Then, what happened to me when converting the file is that it all came into a big 2h file that I had to cut down. So imagine going through this big footage and, some of the shots were not really that great. Sometimes it has trouble adapting to the changing light if you're just moving around with it and the quality really changes. If you can afford, I would really ask for someone else to do all this work for you. You don't have to spend that much if you're family or friends can recommend someone they know... You could also ask a student who might not do the job of a professional but who could at least go through all this trouble for you. That's just my opinion... but I hope it helps!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alley Smiley heart

I think it could be a good idea if other people would help you. Would they know how to use them or have experience with it before hand? Make sure you tell them what shots you want, so they really capture the most important moments for you Smiley smile

Have a look at these articles from the website to really give them good guidelines.

How to Find a Photographer

8 Fun Photos to Take With Your Wedding Party

You should also specify the style that you're going for, like showing them videos you like, telling them to get close shots during the ceremony, etc.

5 creative picture styles

Funny Bridesmaids Pictures

And ask specific questions to the people you'll buy the Go Pro from, what kind of light is necessary for good photography with Go Pro, what software, can you rent or only buy, etc. Does this help?

I'm glad you found your dress!!! It's so exciting! What is it like? Can't wait to see pictures!

• Alley
    Alley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the comment Emilie. I would actually have 3 go pros set up and have other people using them to capture all parts of the day, I got quotes from a whole bunch of videographers and none of them fit in our budget.. We haven't found a photographer yet again they are all very expensive as well so I'm not sure how much we are spending there. I have bought my wedding dress already!
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alley Smiley heart Welcome to the community!!

I'm very happy you're joining us to plan your wedding! You'll see we're all great people here and always there to help one another during this very special moment Smiley smile

I think a Go Pro can do a great job if you're holding it yourself the whole time and if you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort into it. I wouldn't personnally do it unless you have all the tools, know you could do it easily or have done it in the past. You're wedding is such an important moment, you should really have the best pictures and videos to remember it and just be able to enjoy the moment on your wedding day!

Have a look at our vendors in your area, maybe you'll find the perfect one who fits within your budget. Some of them also have discounts on our website.

Wedding Photography Toronto

You should also have a look at these discussions to see what other brides are saying.

How much are you spending on a photographer?

And you can ask within your local Ontario group to see what vendors other brides went for.

Have you already found your wedding dress?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics