Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amy
Newbie June 2018 Ontario

Help! moh crisis!!

Amy, on March 10, 2018 at 07:13 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4

My MOH has been showing up late to meetings with bridesmaids, leaving early, always has an excuse to miss wedding (florist mtg, bridesmaid mtg, hanging out with me for tea, bridal shower). She's going through a lot of anxiety and depression right now, so I have tried to be understanding, and even gave her an "out" if she felt like she couldn't do it. When I brought up the topic (over text because she flaked again on Thursday) she played the victim, turned it on me and said I've been a bad friend to her and that I'm shutting her out because she's single and I don't want to deal with her struggles. This could not be further from the truth.

She sent me a 2 page essay about how I've failed her as a friend. This was incredibly painful to read, and very inaccurate. It's true I have been more busy and haven't taken as much time to connect with her lately - but I am so busy because I am doing everything on my own. But instead of offering to help, she never shows up, and then blames it all on me. I asked if we could talk about it in person, and she won't meet with me face to face and is now ignoring all of my texts.

Have I lost my MOH?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Courtney, on March 10, 2018 at 22:46
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is really good advise.

As much as you can see her perceptions of the relationship/friendship might be inaccurate, they are her perceptions and feelings which can't be completely discounted.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depression is like any other illness—you can’t know exactly how someone is feeling and dealing with it even if you have experienced it yourself. Her perception, even if inaccurate, is how she sees things and how she feels.

I would suggest apologizing to her for being too involved in your planning and not checking in with her (or, whatever it is that she was upset about). Ask her what you can do to be a better friend to her. And, ask what you can do in regards to wedding stuff with her (not talk about it, give her lots of notice, whatever she says works best for her). Ask her how she feels about being involved in your wedding. She may still want to be involved, she might not. Whatever she decides, ensure her you will still be there for her.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depression is really difficult and part of the disease is backing away from social circles and activities. It may be really hard for her to leave the house some days, so do keep that in mind when you're asking her to go to these meetings with you.

If I you don't want to lose hope, I would suggest even writing her a message, since she isn't willing to meet you in person (if you haven' already), and reach out to her, maybe even go to her place and check-in. It may turn out great, but be prepared for it to go either way. Make sure to chat with her about her feelings, she may just need someone to listen and acknowledge her emotions. (Try to make this meeting about her, before jumping into your business).

Afterwards, you can bring up your wedding again, give her some options of which events to attend, and ask her to choose one or two. Make sure you give her lots of prep time for it, and maybe even a timeline or guide of what will happen (this will ease her anxiety). It is a lot of work, but something that she may need. Don't expect her to be a typical MOH, so lean on your other bridesmaids for extra support.

Best of luck to you and her!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your a busy bride and she should understand that. She is going through a tough time and needs to focus on herself. Her excuses shouldn't shut you out as a friend. Its a tough decision on you to keep her on-board.

Making time to see friends is hard and we all experience that throughout our busy days. Once a week make plans to go for breakfast or lunch with her if thats makes her feel better.

It seems the other way around with her moods of depression. She has lost you instead of you losing her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics