Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Have you experienced dress regret?

Lynnie, on February 15, 2018 at 13:26 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

Dress regret - it's a real thing!! There can be a lot of pressure when picking a wedding dress, and not a lot of instant gratification! Next is the loooong waiting game waiting for your dress to come in, wondering if you made the right choice, and hopefully ignoring all other dresses you see in the meantime Smiley shame

Did you experience any dress regret? Any good advice to share on how to avoid dress regret??

giphy.gif

For WeddingWire's best advice, check out: 5 Things You Shouldn’t do After Saying Yes to a Wedding Dress

19 Comments

Latest activity by Darla, on May 24, 2022 at 14:52
  • Darla
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Darla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lets hope you never have to wear it! (except nuptial renewal time) Smiley shame

• Darla
    Beginner July 2022 Ontario
    Darla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely!

I went with my soon to be Mother-in-law the first time and wanted to get rid of it as soon as I brought it home.

Eventually, I went with my Man-of-honour and we picked a Justin Alexander which I am madly in love with!

• Brittany
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have major dress regret.
    I had actually found an amazing dress at a boutique in Toronto but the service was horrible. It made me not want to shop there and was actually shocking compared to other stores.
    After leaving that place I just gave up and felt pressured to buy since I was going into surgery. I wish I didn't feel pressured to buy and at least looked for the dress at other boutiques.Not looking forward to wearing this expensive item for one day. I think the allure of a wedding gown has faded. Also, my alterations are about $1200....so in all I'd really consider starting early and shopping around for what you like and for alteration prices.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had no regrets about the dress I chose but I was torn between 2 dresses and the one I didn't choose still haunts me to this day, lol. I LOVED my dress but I can't get the other one out of my head!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was a big one for me!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same!!! My fears were more “what if I don’t like the dress as much as I remember?”
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't experienced regret, but I did wish I hadn't found it so soon! I only went to two stores and it was actually the very first dress I tried on! Once we started shopping for bridesmaid dresses and I saw all the wedding dresses again, I wanted to try more on (but I didn't)!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say I have an inkling of dress doubt but not dress regret. This may sound weird but I wasn't really concerned about finding the "perfect" dress. I knew there would be a few that I really liked and honestly I went to one store with my mum and chose the one that we both liked the best. It's super comfy and I'm in love with the train and shape of it. It was off the rack so I actually got to take it home (well it's at my parents house) but I haven't seen it since that day so I'll be excited to have it on again when it comes to fittings

The doubt comes from the fact that it will need to be taken in about 2-3 sizes so I'm pretty nervous about that part. Because it was off the rack I couldn't order another size but I really wanted that dress. I have a couple great seamstress recommendations, I just have to bite the bullet and get the alterations started soon. Hopefully they will work their magic and I will have a beautifully tailored dress

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't regret my choice but had the typical bridal anxiety and nightmares while waiting for it to come in.

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was feeling this a bit, but then I tried my dress on again with my FSIL and FMIL, and fell in love again. Then Pinterest kept showing me more dress and I kept seeing them in my feed. It wasn't so much regret as it was doubt this time around. Did I choose right with sleeveless, should I have done sleeves etc.

Well, I tried my dress on this past Tuesday for my first fitting. I'm so lucky as my FMIL is a seamstress by trade. I tried my dress on and just fell head over heels again. I brought all my accessories that I have been buying for the past few months and tried them all together for the first time. That was it for me! I can't get over how I look and feel with the whole outfit. Even my FMIL couldn't stop smiling and commenting. May can't come fast enough now.
  • Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally understandable! There’s a lot more pressure when someone is making a special trip. My sister flew from Edmonton specifically to go dress shopping with me, and at first I was really feeling that anxiousness too. But then I just kept reminding myself that she would never want me to settle on something just so she’d be there when I said yes. So our backup was that if I didn’t find it we’d facetime for future appointments. I also made appointments at a couple of salons for the day so that helped ease the pressure.
    she surprised me with my niece too so that definitely added extra pressure, but I did end up finding the dress that day!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No regrets here! But best way to avoid is to avoid looking at all, don't visit bridal stores anymore don't look online at ALL! Even ones that come up on facebook buy and sell pages I scroll past them pretty fast to avoid getting a glimpse. I know I won't ever regret but you never really know. I also avoid talking about my dress around those that don't approve of my dress color choice, so that their negativity doesn't affect me.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No regrets for me! I bought the second dress i tried on and havent look at any other dresses since.

I will be trying it on for the first time since buying it in september tomorrow and will be going to the fabric store to get some material for a couple alterations i want made to it.

Very excited to see it on me again! Fingers crossed i havent gained weight! Haha.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't tried my dress on in MONTHS even though I have it. I loved it in store, but when I got my actual dress, it is a size bigger (the sample size was just SLIGHTLY too snug) so it needs to be shortened and taken. So right now it doesn't fit in the same way.

Sometimes I also see this huge big glamorous dresses and wish I had done that.. but I know I wouldn't be happy day of. Once its altered and I'm getting married in July in a lightweight dress I'll be very happy.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes and no.

I loved my wedding dress, but i will always kind of regret not buying the first dress i fell in love with.

If it hadn't been $1100 more than the dress i actually bought, I'd have for sure purchased it (i'm kind of cheap lol).

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so terrified of this happening.
    Right now, I feel like there's so much pressure on me to find a dress that I don't even want to go shopping. My mom wants to fly out where I live, so that we could go shopping together, but I don't want to disappoint her if I don't find anything.
    Am I crazy?!

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am actually going to have my 2nd visit to the bridal store to purchase my gown tomorrow. In order to 'not to regret' my decision, I am taking 1.5 months to really make sure that's the gown I really want. I tried few gowns 1.5 months ago in that store. I fell in love with a particular gown. I took pictures and told the store I needed time to think about it. And for the next couple of weeks, I visited another 2 stores and tried on few more gowns just to make sure that I haven't changed my mind on that particular gown I love. I haven't. Then for the next 4 weeks after that, I kept on checking all the pictures I had taken on all the gowns I had tried. I am still in love with that particular gown. So the decision is made. I am going in tomorrow to buy it. I can't wait to wear it on my wedding day. Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tried on quite a few dresses before I found “the one” and I think back at them and I know that I would’ve had dress regret for sure. Having taken my time and making the right choice.. I couldn’t be happier with the dress I chose. So no dress regret here !! Thank god lol I was so nervous for that.
    But a couple of my friends went through that, on even tried to return it to the store !!!
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sometimes I think “what if I made the wrong choice” but then I look at pictures of me in my dress and I feel better.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics