Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

Have you ever thought about eloping instead?

Cliodhna, on November 11, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28

We’ve all been there! 😉 Has there been a point in your planning where you’ve wanted to forgo the wedding plans and simply elope?

Have you ever thought about eloping instead?

Next Question: Have you had a ‘zilla moment?

Back to the Beginning: Wedding Planning Confessions

28 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 25, 2019 at 11:42
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyday i think why didn't we just elope lol

• Sarah
    Newbie September 2021 Quebec
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What a relief to know I’m not the only one. Every day I kinda let out a “I’m canceling the wedding” comment.

Feeling so overwhelmed with the *too much* choices and over priced vendors 😕
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Before we were even engaged we had considered it. But, I was sad thinking about it and how I would miss celebrating with everyone. Once we started planning, I had no thoughts of an elopement!
  • Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup - when we first started discussing planning the wedding since the latest we could have our wedding was a few months after our engagement (trying to get pregnant soon) I said we should just go to City Hall and get married. That's what my sister did and she loved it! But my fiance is very close to his immediate and extended family so it was very important for him they be there on that day and his extended family alone is over 50 people so there was no way to do a small wedding once we decided that.

I'm an extrovert and my immediate family and friends are really important to me, so I think I will love being able to celebrate with my immediate family and friends, but sometimes the fact that we're paying the equivalent of a down payment on a mortgage on one day blows my mind.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are kinda doing both. We are getting legally married a couple days before with just our witnesses and than the wedding for family and friends. We knew that our wedding was going to be tied up with family and we wanted to enjoy the actually getting married thing for ourselves
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh yes. My mother decided to be a little too opinionated at the onset of our planning and me trying to reason with her (unsuccessfully) was upsetting my fw. We probably would have done it if we didn’t put deposits down.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We joke about it all the time but not as a serious thought.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haven't thought about it yet, but I think that's because the DIY projects are keeping me Zen.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never thought about it. i love wedding planning and researching and checking out vendors! so much fun!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every single day.
    We wanted to get married in Canmore, near the mountains, with close family and friends. Unfortunately, that would've been too expensive for our guests, so we decided to get married in our hometown. From the day that we made that decision, until the morning after the wedding, I wish we had eloped.

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to elope in England, we’re very private people and I could count with just my hands the number of people who we’ve kissed in front of more than once. But FH wanted family to be there so we’re having a 50ish person wedding. Although when we talk about it, he says 70 person wedding lol.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

YES! But could never do it - a big wedding was what we both always wanted no matter how stressful it was!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A little bit, because there's a pop up wedding event that covers everything going on in our city, but we want a big wedding instead

• Samantha
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, all the time. Especially when you're having a hard time with vendors who don't contact you back after several attempts and when family wants to get too involved.
    I try not to let it frustrate me but somedays it's so hard! So you're not alone!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Every. single. day.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had talked about eloping and having a reception when we got back. Once I started really looking into getting legally married in another country we realized it would cost at least double what a small intimate ceremony and reception at home would be.

We looked at a company in Ireland that handled the officiant, witnesses, photos, and flowers, but still the idea of transporting my dress accross the world and getting there early enough to get the legal documents on time made me nervous. My fiance felt like our whole vacation would be anxiety and worry leading up to our wedding.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh we thought about it so many times when there was all the drama with the guest list. But in the end we are glad we did it the way we did
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, yes, yes. The guest list has given me enough of a headache that I've thought about eloping several times. But too many deposits have been put down at this point to really consider it seriously.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, Yes and yes,

This past week. But too fogo the money already spent, it's not worth it.

This feeling for me did pass and on with the planning I go.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG Yes!! Of course we were in too deep in the wedding plans (and already paid deposits for all vendors) when I first panicked and had a "we should've eloped" moment.

Looking back, I'm glad we did what we did - we were able to have our family and friends watch us become husband and wife.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There was the idea after many fights in the beginning of the planning to elope due to all the negative remarks coming from my parents/family (immediate) about going towards the path chosen and few vendors were booked already with down payments. There wasn't any turning back other than him paying me back for all the amount given out.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That was the ORIGINAL plan, and we kind of did. We had our private ceremony just me, him and our 2 witnesses, so glad we did. in and out in 30 min incld. pictures. I'm glad we didn't though. the amount of people at the reception was about 80 and you could feel the love and support emanating from around the room, that part made us glad that we didn't go through with our full plans.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup! There was one night where FH and I just confided in each other and seriously considered eloping. But both of our families would've been heart broken if we had, so it's more for them than us that we're doing the "proper wedding" thing. But after all is said and done I'm sure we'll be glad that we didn't elope.

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! 11 months away and I've already considered just eloping instead. Mostly because of financial reasons, and I felt like most of the work is being done by me alone, too much pressure and expectations and it became way too much to handle.

I even contacted an eloping expert and was seriously considering it. Everybody hated the idea, especially my mom. FH and his mom are impartial. Basically I got even lesser support with the eloping idea compared to the big wedding, so now we are back on the big wedding again Smiley winking

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Eloping was the plan from the beginning. We just wanted it about us and our kids. In the end we did invite immediate family but it was close to an elopement.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, I never thought of eloping. i've always wanted a wedding with friends and family around.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No - it just isn't me, so it never crossed my mind.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We would have done destination wedding if his parents were in better health but we both want our friends and family there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics