Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Happy Friday the 13th!! Wedding superstitions....

Lynnie, on April 13, 2018 at 12:06 Posted in WeddingWire 0 18

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!! Are there any brave Friday the 13th couples out there?

In theme of superstitions... are there any wedding superstitions you totally believe? Like not letting the groom see the bride's dress before the wedding, carrying the bride over the threshold, rain on the wedding day being good luck, having something old new borrowed and blue, or that giving knives as a wedding gift is bad luck...?

giphy.gif

18 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 17, 2018 at 00:22
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not superstitious at all, but do like some of the traditions of not seeing each other before the wedding, him not seeing the dress. I read this little bride book that had a bunch of superstitions in it. If I find it, I can post some of them.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, oh dear! Well, hopefully those couples are all still together! (Not that I believe it would be those knives fault anyways!)

I've given a pizza cutter... that's not quite a knife, right?! Smiley xd

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The knives one was new to me too! I feel bad because I've definitely given knives as a gift before! Smiley shame

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No superstitions at all. He's already seen me in my dress and then came with me to pick out my second. We also opted out of doing the something old, something new tradition.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not so much brave, but my fiancé and I started dating five years ago on a Friday the 13th, so for us it doesn’t feel superstitious at all Smiley smile rain on my wedding day would be bad luck as the ceremony is outdoors! Lmao
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We started dating on a Friday the 13th! It’s been a lucky number for us. We are getting married on the 13th.

I’m not superstitious at all, to be honest I haven’t heard a ton regarding weddings other than a couple of the common ones like about seeing the dress before the wedding
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not a superstitious person whatsoever, but the one I believe in is I don't want him to see my wedding dress before our wedding day.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

None here just more keeping up with "traditions" a mix of western and chinese but no real superstitions.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Similar situation here!

I thought it was adorable when my FH told me he wanted 'the first look' to be when I'll be walking down the aisle.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No superstitions here either. However, I want my FH to be surprised the first time he sees me as a bride. So he hasn't seen my dress though I'm sure he sort of has an idea of what it looks like as I can't keep my mouth shut.

We also won't be staying together the night before the wedding because my mum INSISTS that it's not traditional.

• Brenna
    Beginner March 2018 Alberta
    Brenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not a superstitious person but we did sort of stick to the " don't see the bride before the wedding."
    I spent the night before with my family, my mom and brother in particular and the morning of, made sure that us girls didn't run into the boys.
    In saying that, we did do a first view. At first, we weren't going to but my now husband was pretty nervous and didn't want to be a total mess when he saw me walk down the aisle in front of everyone. I was always the one who thought a first look shouldn't happen and then we did it. I' glad to say it was totally worth it as I got to see and be part of his initial reaction to me. It was a special moment for both of us.

• Hailz
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Hailz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 4 black cats 😂😂 no superstitions here other than wanting my fiancè to be suprised!!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I absolutely do not want my groom seeing my dress before the wedding day! But that’s just because I want him to be surprised. I don’t really believe in these superstitions... I think lol
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope don’t think anything like that!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not superstitious so I never believed in any wedding-related superstitions. I've heard of most of the ones mentioned here though.

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Apparently you shouldn't wear pearls on your wedding day because pearls represent tears and sadness. Each pearl equals the number of times your husband will make you cry during the marriage.

I don't believe it, I think it's a rumour by the diamond industry to make you buy those diamond earrings instead of the pearl ones!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've heard of all of those and I don't believe any of them. I'm not a superstitious person, never have been so all of these wedding things are not being done at the wedding for us. Today is especially not "unlucky" as it's my birthday so I've had my fair share of lucky Friday the 13ths in my life lol
    My fiance's brother was considering September 13th 2019 for their wedding it's a Friday but their friends told them it would be bad luck so they changed their minds..
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never heard about the knives thing! Weird.

I don't think I believe in it to the point where if he saw my dress, our marriage is doomed. However I do really enjoy all the traditions. I will have my old, new, borrowed & blue. He won't be seeing my dress (til our first look photos)... And I guess he can try to carry my over the threshold... I don't know what either of our intoxication levels will be by that point... haha. However the next time we go to our actual home after the wedding will be after the honeymoon, so I guess we'll be good to go then.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics