Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Seleena
Super September 2019 British Columbia

Hair Colour

Seleena, on April 23, 2019 at 12:42 Posted in Beauty 0 41

I reaaaally want to have my hair done. It's been over 2 years since I've coloured my hair. I have very long hair so it gets expensive fast. I also want a nice silvery blonde look and obviously want a very experienced colourist doing it. I last had a balayage which is grown out and more yellow blonde and sad looking now.

My questions are;

Who is dyeing their hair before the wedding?

How long before the wedding will you dye your hair? I'm thinking 1-2 weeks but I kind of want to try something out now that I still have 5 months?

Are you completely changing your look, or keeping it similar to what you have?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Seleena, on July 1, 2019 at 16:24
  • Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, me too!
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The result of yours look great !!! I love the grey blonde look

• Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! Yes I have definitely had greys, and silvers, but for this time it will just be a crisp white blonde! Hope it goes well for you!

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!! Your hair looks amazing that colour! I’m getting mine touched up a week before so the colour is fresh. It turned out more of an ashy grey-blonde
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm dying my hair beforehand! This is pretty normal for me though, as I change my hair color frequently. Right now it's multiple shades of pink, but I'll be going back to a cool blonde (like in my picture) 8 days before my wedding.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting my hair done a week before. I plan on touching up the colour and going ombré. I love my hairstylist she has complete control over the hair
  • Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I love how it turned out 🙌🏻
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, I love this! It looks great.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually got my hair done finally and it looks amazing! It was pretty dark at the top and a yellowy blonde at the bottom. Now, it’s a brighter and more grey-blonde. It looks so much better! I am going to have it brightened and cleaned up a bit a week before the wedding so it looks fresh.

Hair Colour 1

Hair Colour 2

Hair Colour 3
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I dyed my hair from blonde back to a dark brunette.

Because I was going from a light to dark, I did mine a week before the wedding to ensure that it didn't fade into a lighter color before the wedding.

However if you are planning to go from dark to light, i'd suggest getting a consultation at your colorist to make sure you can plan your timeline so you have enough time to lighten your hair. I remember when I did my balayage, it took 2 attempts before I could get to my desired blondness. Some peoples hair can take the bleach all at once but if you have thin hair like mine, you may need to do it twice or three times to make sure your hair doesn't break from the chemicals.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing my annual highlights, because I do this every year with the same stylist I am ok with getting it done 2 weeks before the wedding.

If you are doing a colour you have never done before it is a little harder because if you don't like it then you can just cover it up but if you do like it and it's too far out from the wedding it can fade or grow out a bit and then you pay because you need it touched up before the wedding.. with 5 months you should have plenty of time to try it out now and then just have it redone closer to the wedding.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good choice! I definitely want the same, to look back at timeless photos. That would look so pretty; love a good dark brown with caramel 😍 I’m thinking of going in soon and then maybe just a touch up 1 week before
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am back to my roots right now. It was a hard decision because I dye my hair a lot and it's been literally every colour you can possibly dye hair, but I decided looking back on these photos I want them to be classic and natural. So I have my dark brown colour back. I think I will do a little bit of peek a boo type highlights just as a low light in like a dark caramel or something just to give it a little more colour and I will probably do it about 1.5 weeks before. Fresh colour looks so much better!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’d use it once a week or once every two weeks to keep your hair bright and blonde. I was using it once a week and had some major violet tinge to my hair (it was pretty but not for my soon-to-be wedding lol).
    I totally feel you with greasy 3rd day hair. Mine usually stays up in a gross ponytail for work on that day hahah.
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just had my hair done last night! It was looking awful, and I wanted to be sure I would like the color. I went from half natural which was a dull brown and half box dye black from almost 2 years ago. I wanted a nice dark chocolate brown so we lightened just the black part of my hair and dyed it all. I ended up picking a chocolate red which turned out sooo pretty (think mostly dark brown with rich reddish tones) so not much of a change but I wanted to keep it simple and classIc. Our wedding is June 15th and I’m going in for touch ups and a trim June 6.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, the purple would be hella vibrant with the blonde ends lol!

That's pretty good, 1-2 sessions and toning in between.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely post pictures! can’t wait to see!
  • Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just pull a Britney Spears and shave it all off. Fresh start right? 😂😂
  • Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don’t really see it as a big change. I’ve been blonde most of my life, getting blonde highlights and balayage. I just haven’t had it done in a while cause I’m lazy and hate having my hair done lol
    I think I’m gonna go for it though. I’ll probably start the process soon as I’m 5 months away.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yessss, I'm so excited for the honeymoon bob lol

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a hairstylist, i would STRONGLY discourage you to make a big change only a couple weeks before your wedding! heaven forbid you hate it, or it doesnt feel like you! and something like what you’re looking for will likely take a minimum of 3 appointments in order to maintain your hair health! it’s a gorgeous colour!! if you end up doing it, definitely post pictures!
  • Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am going to chop mine after the wedding. I am not brave enough to do it before lol.

Sounds like you have a good plan already! Keeping it safe with a look you're familiar with is good. And yes, I think I should go soon. I hate getting my hair done though haha

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, do it!! Balayage literally looks amazing on everyone. It is also a more natural look depending on the colour you choose.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Literally sounds like me. We go hiking pretty often and I'm like ughhhh I hate my hair. I can't wait til we get married so I can friggen cut it all off haha

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I could change mine - I'm so sick of it recently. I don't want to change the colour, it's kind of hard with my complexion to go lighter, but I reallyyyyy want to chop it all off. It's past my waist now and so annoying.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've only ever highlighted my hair once about 8 years ago but considering trying a balayage. It does look awesome on everyone and my fiance has mentioned a couple times that he'd like some blond mixed in with my natural brown. So it might be a fun surprise to do it for our engagement photos in the fall.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm actually chopping my hair for the wedding. Nothing crazy, but my hair will be just above my shoulders for a very specific look.

As for the color, I've been a balayaged blonde for years and will probably keep it that way for the wedding too. I'll be refreshing my balayage 1 month before the wedding, as well as cutting it then too. My hair tends to grow very fast, so 1 month is perfect! Plus, it'll give me some time to revisit the stylist if I don't like the cut or color and get it corrected in time for the wedding.

I know it can be super expensive, especially if you have long hair. So I think you should get it done now, so that you have plenty of time to live with it and decide if you wanna keep it or not. I mean, a touch up won't be as expensive later one too, so that's always a plus.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Balayage just looks so damn good on everyone! I hope you get the results you were hoping. Even if you did a purpley balayage after the wedding, that would be stunning. Since you’re already going through the multitude of steps to make it blonde, why not haha
    I just actually went over to a salon by my house and they said probably 1 to 2 sessions and then probably just a touch up or toner a couple weeks before the wedding and the price was not nearly as much as what I paid before 😅
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol thanks! I was nervous too, and as I mentioned I'm close but not near the final product yet! I started out with highlights in high school - I did just blonde for a bit then I threw some red low-lights in. Then it all turned red in university when I moved and started seeing another stylist. And now I'm back to the blonde, but a balayage! I'm thinking of going to a purple-plum colour after the wedding too for something different again lol.

I'm actually going in for a toning session May 7, my stylist recommended doing that to maintain the blonde/make it easier for the next session, which will be sometime in early June.

I'd recommend using purple shampoo/conditioner too to help with the brassiness/yellowing. Since you're working with a blonde, you probably don't need to go super early, but I'd still recommend 3-4 months, depending on how fast your hair grows.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea, it looks so good! I didn't use purple shampoo last time. The hairdresser never talked about it and I didn't know it was a thing until recently lol...so annoying. Now that I know about it, I will definitely be investing in it!! I've read that you should only use the purple one like 2 times per week to avoid the purple tinge?

I only wash my hair every other day. My roots get super greasy at 3 days and even dry shampoo doesn't make it look any better.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is GORGEOUS! I think you're right how it's a mix of highlight and lowlights but not quite balayage since it doesn't have that really grown-in look. Did you use purple shampoo the last time you coloured your hair? I found that that's what's saving mine, along with infrequent washing of my hair (I hate training my hair to go for 3-4 days between washes ugh). But I've taken a break from the shampoo for the past month since my hair was getting a purple tinge to it.

• Seleena
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to get highlights fairly often and always loved how it turned out. My hair is more of a dark blonde in the winter and gets light coppery blonde in the summer. My hair isn't a huge priority either. I went about 6 years without doing anything to my hair, and then got a balayage because I was a BM in my sisters wedding. Fast forward to today and I have done nothing to my hair lol.

I just don't want a dull, grown out look for my wedding day as I will be wearing my hair down.

I guess I should probably go try something out and get it touched up closer to the day though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics