Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kimberly
Curious September 2023 British Columbia

Hair and makeup trials

Kimberly, on February 21, 2021 at 13:33 Posted in Beauty 0 12
Hello lovely brides to be or newly weds. I have a question about trials runs for hair and makeup. Is this absolutely a neccessary thing to do? Looking around at some of the salons and the trials plus the day of is outrageous.
Thank you for any input you may have.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Devrie, on February 24, 2021 at 10:42
  • D
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Devrie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a makeup artist, I highly suggest a trial. I have done a few weddings where I was hired last minute, so there was not time for a trial and they still loved what I did, but it is much more time consuming.

When you book a trial, it really allows the service provider to sit down with you and make adjustments to what you think you want to what you actually want. Especially when people are wanting what they are online. Most of the time when I do the exact picture of what the client shows me they want, they didn't know it was sooo much makeup and we discuss ways to make it more them. I like to ask my clients to set aside 2-3 hours so we can actually try out different looks. That way we can create the perfect look for them. I believe in looking like you for your wedding just more polished.
    It also allows your team to get timing down, this way they know exactly what they are doing on you and can ensure you stay on schedule for the day.
  • Linda
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Id say it is important because then that was they get to practice the style you want so on the day of they know what they are doing and it will not take them as long because whos to say if its a updo if your hair is long enough and for makeup as well its good for them to practice so if their is something you want different they can make note.
  • Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I remember my experience getting my makeup done for prom. My makeup was done, I looked in the mirror and started to bawl! I looked like a lady of the night! My eyebrows were shaded in black, I had heavy blush and a dark brown-red lip and looked nothing like myself. I ended up wiping off 99% of it (of what I didn’t cry off) before leaving. That experience has stuck with me for life!

Another reason to have a trial is to see how the makeup product wears throughout the day, and/or if your hairstyle holds up (e.g. curls falling out). This gives you some feedback to adjust before the big day. The artist will take photos too and then on your wedding day, have a game plan in place and they can just begin.
    I also have been a bridesmaid a number of times and just said “I want this”, and showed a photo and haven’t been disappointed (unlike my prom experience!). It comes down to your preference and comfort level.
    I was going to try to and have my trial done with engagement photos but Covid...
    Whatever you decide will be right for you!
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually just did my hair and makeup trial this past weekend. I am not picky at all and would have been happy with just about anything, but I'm also having one of my old friends do it. We almost did it as a trial for her, to know exactly how it would look and the best way of doing the updo.

I'm really glad we did it, as I was there for over 3 hours, figuring out the best way to do my hair. Now we have photos for reference on the day of, and it shouldn't take nearly that long.

• T
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it comes down to personal preference and who you're using.

I have gone to my hairdresser for years and even worked for him at one point. I trust him 10000% and I like his work overall... So I'm not doing a trial with him.

I've never had my make up professionally done so I'm definitely booking a make-up trial.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did my own hair and makeup but if I didn’t go that route I would 100% get a trial done for both unless you have worked with the person in the past.
    I worked in makeup for years and there are a lot of mediocre makeup artists out there. You want to make sure whoever you’re choosing can actually give you the look you want and that they’re able to work with your face and skin tone. Same goes for hair.
    If you end up not liking something on your wedding day there’s not a lot that can done about it. So I think better safe than sorry and hair/makeup trials are a lot cheaper than getting photos redone.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I skipped it because of covid and I wish I hadn't. I was super happy with my makeup, but my hair flopped and was coming undone even with extra hair spray and pins.

Do you have another event you could use the trial for? Like boudoir photos, bachelorette festivities, or your shower? Then it might feel less like a waste and more like a little extra pampering.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me it's absolutely necessary to make sure I like the look. I would be to afraid of not liking it the day of otherwise. I am doing a trial of both the same day to see the whole look together. That way if I don't like one then we can change it up. We are doing it about 5 weeks prior to the wedding giving me time to go back for another trial if I don't like the initial look I chose. But it is a personal preference but most stylists and makeup artists would suggest it as well.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't want to have one then you have the choice to say no. But usually trails are a good way to see what your makeup artist can do for the day of your wedding and see what you like and don't like.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My biggest concern is not like it on the day of, maybe have a date night after your trial if you do a trial so it still feels like the trial was for something
  • Kimberly
    Curious September 2023 British Columbia
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya very true, but my FH and I aren't really doing any of those, so it would be a waste. But then I am worried I wont like it. So confusing.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it is personal preference. Im very picky with my makeup and I wouldn't be able to just have it done the day of. But I also wouldn't waste the trial. Use the trial on the day of an engagement shoot, bridal shower, bachelorette party, or something!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics