Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Guestzillas!

Stephanie, on April 15, 2019 at 13:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22

On the radio this morning, they were talking about guestzillas! Guests who have behaved poorly at an event. One caller said they had set up a video camera at their wedding reception, and one of the ladies at the table closest to it complained about everything! She didn't realize the camera was recording (or maybe didn't care!)

What is the worst guest behaviour you have witnessed?

Do you have a plan to deal with unruly guests?

We thankfully didn't have any, but my husband's best man is a big guy, so we were going to send him after anyone that misbehaved!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on May 12, 2019 at 10:16
  • Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sad to say this reminds me of my mother. she is planning on moving back out west end of summer. my wedding is august 3rd. with the way our relationship is though im about ready to just say bye and let her go.

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG You have got too be joking me I don't know if I wanna cry or laugh at this time. I guess plan B for someone that gets out of hand at the Reception. But sometimes it's a great thing for Social Media to get a look at people that act like that.

• Deziray
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Deziray ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was attending my best friends wedding and the "guestzilla" there was her mother. Leading up to the wedding she was pretty MIA which isn't unusual for her, disappearing months at a time. She came to my house to get ready at 10am (already drunk) and after letting my indoor cat outside several times I admittedly lost it and screamed at her. She borrowed another bridesmaids salon quality flat iron and destroyed it. Once we arrived at the venue she was already throwing a tantrum and spent 20 minutes storming in and out of the venue saying things like "If you don't want me here I might as well just leave" "everyone here hates me" "It's my daughters wedding I am staying". Her final entrance was once we had already started the processional where she huffed own the aisle to her seat at the front. She spent the whole night complaining that no one liked her and muttering not so nice names about me every time I walked by. When we went for pictures she tried to take control of which shots needed to be taken instead of letting the photographer do her job and let the bride and groom decide which photos they wanted. During the Father-Daughter dance she slithered around the edge of the dance floor looking for an opportunity to cut in as everyone looked on horrified. Sometime after the dance floor had opened up she started throwing punches at the brides father. The Bride and Groom were very forgiving the whole time, their ability to ignore her antics and not let it get to them was unwavering and impressive. The straw that broke the camels back for them was when she decided to light her cigarette inside. At that point she was asked to leave. She doesn't remember anything that happened that night, in her memory it was a really nice evening. Everyone else was great and had a great time.

• T
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen people at a couple weddings actually steal gifts/cards from the gift table. I don't believe anyone that I'm inviting to my wedding would do this but just to be safe, I have a card box with a lock on it and put someone in charge of the gift table. All gifts/cards will be removed sometime after dinner to avoid any issues but also give a little bit more space.

My family are drinkers and like to have a good time, some more then others. We are not having an open bar purposely in hopes people don't drink as much. We will be having someone discuss the rules of reception just due to there is areas outside that you cannot take your drink, and at the same time the person will inform our guests that any person who decides to get drunk and be a mess, will be asked to leave. As much as it may sound a little harsh..... unfortunately my mother had to much to drink at my brothers wedding a few years ago and spilt red wine all over her dress, another guest was "helping" fold up the chairs at the end of the night but was really smashing and tossing them, etc etc.

Luckily my FH's BM & GM are very, very big boys, they will also work as our security since they do not really drink hahaha!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like I really got lucky! The only thing remotely guest-zilla that happened at my wedding was a "surprise" speech by my DH's bestie. At the end of the planned speeches he intercepted the mic, grabbed my DH away from me, never once mentioned me, mostly actually talked about himself, and made my catering staff pretty annoyed with me because it delayed the start of dinner (but they felt sorry for me once they learned this wasn't planned!) but in the grand scheme of things this really wasn't a big deal. And one of my friends wore a white lace dress, but again, not a big deal at all - I just still wonder to this day what each of them were thinking! Smiley laugh

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Is. Not. Ok.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh I know!! I’m like 99% sure nobody was in the car with them. I can’t say if it was turned on with AC or not cause I was in the wedding party and literally just like wtf?!?! Who brings puppies to a wedding!!!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THIS MADE ME FURIOUS. If I saw puppies in a hot car you better believe I would be breaking all her windows... OOOOOOOOOO..... I can't even make my own post this made me so mad hahah!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My grandpa drank to much and got really aggressive and threatened one of my groomsmen when he went to go chat with him and grab my drink that was sitting at the table for me that he would punch him in the face if he didn’t leave immediately just because “he didn’t like the look of his face”.

Fortunately the situation didn’t get out of hand and one of my brothers reigned my grandpa in for the rest of the night but I was not super impressed when I found out.
  • Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have an extremely snotty, nose stuck in the air, nothing is ever good enough for her Aunt. My mom asked me as a personal favor to invite her and her child hating, almost always drunk husband. Fun right? Well when she finds out I am NOT having fine bone china and waiters in tuxedos, won't she have a few things to LOUDLY discuss among the family that is forced to sit with her.

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG! That is disgraceful. Imagine being the Bride and having to remember that for eternity. I can't believe people get that put of hand at such an epic event.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope to not go through this, but I also know there is nothing to do to prevent this unfortunately

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The worst guest behaviour I've witnessed at a wedding was when a bridesmaid smashed a wine glass over another guests head. Apparently they had prior issues and they couldn't settle it like ladies. Needless to say the cops were called and the wedding went on.

• Leah
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm willing to have any guests who cause trouble to be kicked out. We have also a really small amount of alcohol available to hopefully limit out of control guests. I've also made sure to strategically place guests at specific tables away from other family members

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m carefully selecting my guests to avoid this lol i’m hoping there won’t be any surprises.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man...my aunt was a major guestzilla at my sisters wedding. I didn't invite her to my wedding. She was not part of the wedding party but DEMANDED to have nails, hair, makeup done with all of the wedding party. She was from out of town, and she took my sisters hairdresser (who my sisters been seeing for like 10 years) because she wanted him to do her hair. She is a dog breeder and decided to bring a litter of puppies with her (it's a 5 hour drive) and left them in her vehicle during the ceremony (AND it was friggin 35 degrees that day!!). My sister was legit so pissed because her kids (who were all in the wedding party) kept getting distracted by the puppies when we were supposed to be taking family photos. The. Worst. Guest. Ever. Also, who leaves puppies in their car on a 35 degree day during a wedding. You should know better. *Cue biggest eye roll ever*

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Aunt's husband - I don't even regard him as an uncle since I've never met him and he is usually drunk/a mean drunk to boot. He also works in the remote north 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off so hoping he's working the day of my wedding.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My uncle - that my whole family aside from my grandmother can't stand, now that she has passed he is not in ANY if our lives - at my first wedding got so drunk that he was trying to dance on the bar and kept harassing the bartender. 🤦‍♀️ It was SO embarrassing and awful to see. Thankfully one of my brothers stepped in and saved the poor bartender and kept the moron off the bar.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have an uncle who I'm not even sold on inviting yet. He's loud and obnoxious and I don't have any memories of him without a drink in his hand. My parents kicked him out of our house at a family dinner probably 10 years ago and we've barely seen him since. But lately he's been stirring up drama with my mom and aunt (his sisters) about care for my gramma. They've both said they'd back me up if I didn't invite him and I could see him trying to start something with them at our wedding.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree with Melissa, there is always one! I don't think we should really have any issues. Someones my uncle and his wife (mainly wife) she will say somethings or make you stress more than you should. I think we will just have few heavy drinkers. My fsil, her other half tends to overkill drinking and pass on before dinner happens at the table. this is when I will have an issue and want him to leave. I don't think its appropriate!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow... if that were to happen at my wedding... I would not have kind words to say to that guest....

I have a few guests that are heavy drinkers that we are a bit worried about, but overall I'm hoping that we don't have any guestzillas!!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's always one.....

We aren't really concerned about unruly guests AT the wedding, but more so AFTER the wedding because we are at an all-inclusive resort. One of our guests is a bouncer so if anything happens, he's going to be the one assigned to deal with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics