Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Curious June 2018 British Columbia

Guest list etiquette - what to do

Nadine, on June 6, 2017 at 18:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7

We have a tight budget and restricting the list to 100 including us and the bridal party. What I'm stuck on, is I heard you can limit the invites and do invites to after the dinner party/dance to save cost on reception.

If I do that how can I do the invitation. Yeah you can come to the ceremony and the after dinner/dance party.

Is that even a decent thing to do. I've read your guest list article, but didn't dwell on this topic.

I'm just worried that would come off rude. I like you to come to the ceremony and dance, but not enough to feed you.

Hubby wants to extend an invite to an acquaintance, but I don't feel like we know him well enough to pay for the food bill. And I have so many co-workers and I know I should invite, but who to chose and not choose I can't decided, that's when I heard about inviting to dance only. But is it fair to just limit them to the dance, I feel they could come to the ceremony but it be standing room only left and come to the after the dinner party. Is this even a common thing. I don't want to offend anyone.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Carol, on February 4, 2018 at 22:59
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have friends and coworkers that are being invited only to the after dinner celebrations, we are not expecting them to come to the ceremony at all. My thinking is it would be rude to have them at the ceremony but not dinner. they are all excited to be coming to the dance party only.

• N
    Nadine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I posted on our wedding website a Q&A section about the invitations, ceremony, dinner and after the dinner party. Most of the after the dinner party are co-workers so gave them a heads up when I gave them the save the date card, so far people were understandable, and had no complaints. I explained it all out in our Q&A on our site, as to decision and reason why they may receive different invites.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why not just invite them to the after party instead of the ceremony and party.

If you have ever been invitted to an Indian wedding, you would be invited to 3 functions and RSVPs to which events you would attend. However, not every invitation includes the reception to cut costs.

The wedding itself usually has lunch followed after for the guests while pictures are beibg taken. Some invititations are only for the main ceremony in that case.

This may relate to your case somehow. Seeing how to send out the invites.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have personally been invited to several weddings where I was invited to the ceremony and the reception but not the dinner. Usually when people do this they restrict to the wedding party and immediate family and you on the invite it says ceremony at the place and time and reception at place and time and with the amount of space between ceremony and reception it is pretty obvious that you aren't invited to the meal. I have also gotten some that identify on the program that there is a supper but it is family only. I haven't ever thought it was rude or felt disrespected. Weddings are expensive and it isn't like I was the only person who wasn't invited to supper. Usually there was a group of us that went out for supper.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you want to invite everyone but are limited then I would say only invite people to tie reception. Most people know that this means the party after dinner. That way you can still see tons of people and they don't feel slighted. I agree with Katherine that I would feel slighted to be invited to the ceremony and party but but dinner. Generally if you want the person at the ceremony, they are important enough to you to have at duvet and the party.
  • N
    Nadine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not the cost that's the issue, it's the venue max 100 included us and the bridal party. Maybe I'll just stick with the after the dinner dance/party, and forgo the invitation to the ceremony, I read some people do that to include others that would not normally be invite, i.e. co-workers

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would feel slighted to be invited to the ceremony and just the dance, and not dinner... Have you considered not having dinner at all by having the reception earlier or later... Punch and cake, brunch, and cocktail receptions are usually cheaper options.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics