Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alicia
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

Guest attire

Alicia, on June 16, 2018 at 20:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21

Is it okay to request that your guests wear a certain color to your wedding?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kay, on July 11, 2018 at 11:04
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really care what my guests wear. haha... I personally think it is silly to care about what they wear. Unless of course, you are having a themed wedding, then that would be relevant to mention maybe on the Save the Date, or on a slip of paper along with the invite.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could mention it in the invitation but don't expect people to follow through. I don't think people will remember or they might just wear the same outfit for every wedding. Doesn't hurt to say it though.

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is okay to mention that you wedding theme is all white, and that you would appreciate if your guests would take part in that. But I don't think you can expect everyone to follow it.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would hold the expectation that not everyone will conform, and if you word it in a fun or catchy way it won't come off poorly. Men definitely have the short end of the stick with trying to find a white ensemble though so you may see white shirts but coloured pants.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see anything wrong with it given you don't expect all of your guests to conform to it. Keep in mind that many guests who attend weddings frequently may decide to reuse a dress they've worn previously, may not like the colour you've selected, etc.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I for sure think it's fine to ask guests to wear a certain colour! I'm not sure if it's something you can ENFORCE (like I would hope they wouldn't get kicked out haha) but you can easily encourage a certain colour even on your invite! I would say something with the "black tie event" that is usually on the card and then something along the lines of "we encourage our guests to join us in our wedding vision and include -colours- in their attire"

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that is fine! I have previously been invited to a wedding that stated we could only wear cream or ivory basically and it was totally fine. Some people found it a little more difficult to find outfits as it was a destination wedding in Mexico in February but everyone managed in the end.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d just state the theme and your wedding colours and kindly request no one wear white/Ivory.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am going against the group and saying nope. Dont specify colors.
    Letting them know your dress code (black tie/semi formak etc)
    But thats it.
    I think its a bit pompous to say "only wear these colors"
    Maybe im missing something. Hahaha. Ive never seen that on a wedding invite.
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did and I stated it on my wedding website here. I requested a semi formal attire, no Bright colors, and no one should wear white/ivory. All of them know that the theme colour I'm going for a autumn hence no Bright colors.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As others have said, totally okay to ask or state it's a theme wedding. But be prepared in case some people don't follow the game plan.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think that's a bad thing at all, but I personally like to see a more "natural" looking crowd! I am going to be putting that my wedding is formal, but no colour scheme for my guests because I dont have much of a preference for it! I'm one of those strange people who also hate colour coordinated family pictures though Haha!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Guest attire is fine to add. Just keep in mind that some may not have the colour or feel it looks good on them. If you indicate the type of attire (formal, black tie, semi formal).
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can let them know the theme, but don't expect everyone to follow it.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the colour thing is fine - but this may mean that the outfits may be on the more casual side. If that's fine with you then I don't see why people would have a problem spending $50-$100 on some new clothes if they don't own any white. (I agree with Clarissa though - there will always be someone who "forgets" or even refuses to. - You could of course have some white shirts put to the side saying "I forgot to wear white - this is my make do for the I do" type of thing Smiley tongue )

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's fine to ask and let them know it's a theme. But be prepared for some people to not follow the request and just be ok with it.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In that case I think it’s ok to ask. But be prepared for people not wanting to follow the request. Just set your expectations that everyone might not dress in white.
  • Alicia
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes its an all white wedding
  • Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, you can ask but be prepared for people to say no and show up in something else or just not show up at all. Personally, if I had to buy a new outfit in your preferred colour rather than something I already own, we would have to be pretty close for me to say anything but not gonna happen. And even if we were that close, I would still resent having to spend money on an outfit I didn't need or want and may not wear again.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ummm it’s TOTALLY OKAY...why? Bc it’s YOUR wedding! #letthemwearfuschia
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Umm it could depend why? Like are you doing an “all white” wedding or something?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics